Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa top refinishing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
ConeDodger
I have done searched both here and on the Bird Board without finding much (except on the Bird they are pretty much all cult members of some guy named Tom in NJ who restores tops for a business). I want to do mine myself. 914 targa tops are simpler than 911.

Anyone have a suggestion on paint brand and color and additive to get the pebble finish correct?
MDG
Rob, there was a thread a year or two ago and the member posted pics of his top. I don't think he needed to restore the texture so it wouldn't help you on that point. BUT he used SEM Landau Black to re-do the black.

No idea how it has held up but it looked unbelievable in the photos he posted - like a brand new top.

SEM products are available at most body shop supply stores; they do leather/vinyl dyes, stuff for plastic trim etc.

search a thread called "Spruced up faded targa top"
ConeDodger
Thanks Mikes... ('cause I know you guys run in packs).

Found it...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...faded+targa+top
IronHillRestorations
You'll have lots of fun trying to paint it if someone did the shoe polish treatment on it!
MDG
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 12 2011, 12:06 PM) *

Thanks Mikes... ('cause I know you guys run in packs).

thumb3d.gif

Problem is we rarely agree. So if a bunch of Mike's show up you'll likely get a ton of conflicting crap.

. . . probably better off asking a Mark!

And on Perry's remark on the old shoe polish trick. Sometimes Scotchbrite and some pre-clean is all you need. BUT if your roof has had shoe polish you must clean that down to the fibreglass itself, re-prime (epoxy works well) and start from scratch. There is so much oil in shoe polish that any residue left over will null and void all your efforts.
Tom_T
IIRC Pat G. said to use Wurth body shutz for the texture over a smooth top taken down to FG & reprimed, then paint with a satin black. There are probably some hits in O&H on that, but IIRC it's buried with a topic on other resto issues.

BTW - the shutz was also the texture for rockers & valances restos.

McMark, Hans L. (914-6/GT with shop in Camarillo & 914-6 #2), ScottyB, etc. would be other sources for what they use to do for "as per factory finish" restos of the tops.
dlkawashima
This thread also has good info on targa top refinishing:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=44370
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.