Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's your experience with JC Whitney?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KELTY360
I'm doing a disc brake conversion on my '54 Mercury and they've got the best deal on rotors and rebuilt calipers from reputable suppliers. What's been your experience dealing with them?
Drums66
Kelty360.......back in the day they were Pretty efficient in mail order.
& their catalog was as large as a tele book (really)I have not dealt with
them in years & years. idea.gif bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif
(a few screw-ups like any other)
7TPorsh
Have you checked rockauto.com ?
whatabout1
Back in the '70s or so they had stuff you couldn't find anywhere else.

Most of it was junk. But that was 40 yrs ago.

sww914
About 50% wrong parts the first time around but no hassles taking stuff back.
luskesq
Agree they are okay about returns. Quality for me has been hit or miss. Ordered some parts that were for a specific application (year, mdl etc.) and what I got was more of a generic part. Order VW parts including carpeting that was good quality.

Keith
VaccaRabite
I have ordered from them in the past without issue.

Zach
TROJANMAN
Ordered bunches of Jeep stuff from them without hassle.
euro911
Only dealt with them once, 15 years ago, ordered 2 front drive axles/CV joints for my nephew's Subaru wagon. They transposed the part #'s and sent me some gold-plated SBC valve cover clamps screwy.gif

They were happy to send me the correct parts as soon as they received the clamps back blink.gif

A short conversation with the manager cleared that nonsense right up ... and he said I could keep the clamps piratenanner.gif

The axles were fine ... so were the clamps laugh.gif
Rand
Whip Me?
JC who? JC whip me?
They don't carry Kelty backpacks.
They throw the wool over Trojanman's eyes.
They have a lot of stuff that pretends to meet the requirements you hope for and you might get lucky with the hit and miss.
Their catalog is fun in the bathroom.
They have all kinds of stuff you won't find anywhere else and you will always wonder if it will pan out....But that goes back to your original question, and we are now in an infinite loop. I remember this column in skateboard magazine circa 70s...The mobious strip.

Good luck Marc. Glad I couldn't help you.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 12 2011, 08:24 PM) *

Whip Me?
JC who? JC whip me?
They don't carry Kelty backpacks.
They throw the wool over Trojanman's eyes.
They have a lot of stuff that pretends to meet the requirements you hope for and you might get lucky with the hit and miss.
Their catalog is fun in the bathroom.
They have all kinds of stuff you won't find anywhere else and you will always wonder if it will pan out....But that goes back to your original question, and we are now in an infinite loop. I remember this column in skateboard magazine circa 70s...The mobious strip.

Good luck Marc. Glad I couldn't help you.

Any particular sections of the catalog that provides bathroom fun? shades.gif
John
Years ago, they did have Thunderbird Mufflers for 914-2.0's. I know they did sell some VW bits.

I grew up with that on Dad's car.

The internet probably wasn't good for JCW (used to be Warshawski's)

When I was in the Chicagoland area, I used to go down town to look at the stuff before buying it. Some of it was cheezy and others of it was as good as or better than local car parts stores (only cheaper).

Years went by and they moved out of Chicago and are now somewhere near Utica, IL. I haven't bought from them in a couple years due to being able to source parts through the internet. I still get catalogs.

strawman
I used to buy VW parts from JCW when the internet was made of paper (their catalog was the cat's meow back in the '80s). I haven't bought anything from them for at least 25 years...
gothspeed
No problems in my few dealings smile.gif
DBCooper
Years ago I had a Manny, Moe and Jack t-shirt. Wearing that t-shirt was bold. Got smiles everywhere, mostly people laughing with me and not at me. I think.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.