Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought Koni's on ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nemo914
Hey all,

Haven't posted in awhile. I am just now getting back into the 914 groove as summer approaches.

I just impulse bought these Koni shocks on e-bay as I can't stand the ride my KYB's give.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEBWN%3AIT

Are there different types of Koni shocks for the 914? How are they adjustable? Will they give a lower ride height than KYB's? I am moving my 100lb springs over. My car sits way too high in back now. Is the seller, "aufaber", a member??? I know I bought without all the info, but the price seemed OK.

NEMO
Part Pricer
What's the part number?

If it's 8241-1050, then those are the Classic Reds for the 914. They are externally adjustable by turning the tab that protrudes from the top of the shock in the rear trunk.

IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Those are old Koni Reds. They'll be great if you've got even resistance between the two. They won't come with the dial indicated in the previous post but they're simple to adjust. Simply push down until you feel the rod engage and twist. The arrow on the side shows you which direction.

Those are "not" as new as they appear. They have been repainted. The top ring around the rod is brass and you can see they've been painted over. As long as the resistance is good you should be fine.

I use the softest setting for street.
Eric_Shea
Oooops... one other thing. They are "not" externally adjustable. They are adjustable but you want to get it right the first time because they have to come off, the rod has to be engaged in the bottom of the shock and the "entire" rod (threaded portion and all) turns on these. The ones mentioned in the previous post are later models.
Nemo914
Thanks. What's the trick to "getting it right the first time"? Do I turn them a specific direction to get them to the "softest" setting for street driving? Will they give a lower ride??

Love this site!!
914werke
Not by themselves but you can apply any of the sport springs (2.5") and adj. perch setups that will help you corner balance and/or slightly lower the rear.
Ive got that exact setup.
Rgreen914
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 7 2004, 04:44 PM)
...any of the sport springs (2.5") and adj. perch setups...

rdauenhauer

Which adjustable perches do you have? I talked to Brad about the ones he was selling a while back and we're not sure they will fit on my red Konis, even though the shock bodies seem to be 2 inch diameter; the guy from the Koni web site was not very helpful with his info.
415PB
QUOTE(Rgreen914 @ May 7 2004, 04:59 PM)
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 7 2004, 04:44 PM)
...any of the sport springs (2.5") and adj. perch setups...

rdauenhauer

Which adjustable perches do you have? I talked to Brad about the ones he was selling a while back and we're not sure they will fit on my red Konis, even though the shock bodies seem to be 2 inch diameter; the guy from the Koni web site was not very helpful with his info.

Same question as above. I wanna do the same.
914werke
Here's a Pic.
Got um ..back in the day smile.gif from then Automotion I think. 150lb springs
Should I dig up a part# I prolly still have the recipt.
Eric_Shea
I use the softest setting for street and it's sweet.

Use a set of 140lbers on those perches and you should lower your rear 3/4" to an 1". They should be plentyful here used. Or... go the more elaborate route. Newer springs and adjustable perches definately have their advantages.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.