Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 Rebuild Bogging
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clow
Hi, I just rebuilt a 1.7 EFI all stock. The car run nice at idle but as soon as I press the throttle it bogs out. If it doesn't bog it has just enough power to move the car. The plugs look fine. Is this a vacuum problem or a fuel problem? Any thought?
I am looking forward to the first drive. The weather if beautiful.

Thanks,
Clow
mgphoto
Sounds like the TPS (throttle positioning switch) needs to be adjusted, also check FI points in the dizzy they may need to be cleaned.
Good luck,
Mike

mgphoto
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 12 2011, 03:48 PM) *

Sounds like the TPS (throttle positioning switch) needs to be adjusted, also check FI points in the dizzy they may need to be cleaned.
Good luck,
Mike

try this link

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=95583&hl=
luskesq
Although you say the plugs look okay, are all of them firing? Timing could also be an issue with poor power.

keith
clow
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 12 2011, 02:51 PM) *

Good luck,
Mike

try this link

Thanks, I tried a spare one and it did the same. I opened up the first one and the contacts are fine.
TheCabinetmaker
Valves set wrong, timing way off, or dwell way off. Or, maybe all of the above.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(clow @ Apr 12 2011, 05:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 12 2011, 02:51 PM) *

Good luck,
Mike

try this link

Thanks, I tried a spare one and it did the same. I opened up the first one and the contacts are fine.

Did you properly adjust it?
Spoke
Does the engine rev up ok?

When you timed it, did you notice the mechanical advance?

With the vacuum lines on the dizzy, did you notice the vacuum advance?

I don't think it would be the FI points on the dizzy. All they do is tell the FI when to fire the injectors.

Are all the cylinders firing? Check by touching the exhaust pipes near the muffler. Best done when the car is first fired up.
clow
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 12 2011, 06:04 PM) *

Does the engine rev up ok?

When you timed it, did you notice the mechanical advance?

With the vacuum lines on the dizzy, did you notice the vacuum advance?

I don't think it would be the FI points on the dizzy. All they do is tell the FI when to fire the injectors.

Are all the cylinders firing? Check by touching the exhaust pipes near the muffler. Best done when the car is first fired up.

Well I am going to go over the whole timing and distributor again. This has been mentioned a couple times. All cylinders are firing. I have been reading about odds and ends to do some I will give them a try.
The push rod tubs started leaking...then oil started dripping and whoosh there was a fire. I had it rolled out in the driveway and it was put out in no time with the extinguisher, no damage. I am going to replace at the seals again just to be on the safe side so it looks like I can't get back to trouble shooting until this weekend.

Thanks

Clow
914itis
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 12 2011, 07:33 PM) *

Valves set wrong, timing way off, or dwell way off. Or, maybe all of the above.

agree.gif
rick 918-S
Oil usually doesn't ignite. It will smoke and stink but flames? Guys run with leaking push rod tubes all the time and sometimes for years with no fire.

I would be checking for fuel leaks near the injectors. That's scary. I would also smell your oil to see if you have fuel in it. Gas in your oil if leaked on the exhaust would flame up.

To your first issue: Check your fuel pressure. Low pressure from a weak pump could allow the engine to idle but starve and stall or barely run with low power. Check the fuel line from the tank to the pump (the suction side) for leaks. Under draw it could be acting like a drinking straw with a hole in it. Check the clamps on the suction side as well.

Check all vacum hoses with a squirt bottle of water. The full length of the hose. Some guys use things like carb or brakes cleaner or starting fluid but it sounds like you already had one fire too many and it's possible your extinguisher is in need of a fill now so a second fire may not be an option.

Be sure the vacum hoses are connected correctly.
FourBlades

Rick,

How do you check the vacuum hoses using a squirt bottle?

Spray water and look for bubbles?

Thanks,

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.