Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sad 914 day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jt914-6
A 914 friend died in 2007 leaving his wife tons of parts and some 914 bodies. After all this time they were all sold at auction. Ron (pcar916) and I went to see what we could snag. I got three side shift trannys for $60 and he got two and 1/2 trannys for $40. He got a few other things too. The trannys were the only things that I was interested in. Lots and lots of other parts. Although we got a good deal on the things we got, it was sad knowing that most likely all the bodies were going to be scrapped....I did see Hotshoe's old LE....it's the first two pics....the auctioneer called it a wad of metal...it was lucky #13....the rest of the bodies which went for $30-$60 were going to the scrap yard..... sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jt914-6
Other bodies sold....Sorry Andy I only got Shoe's vin for him.....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Ferg
Hot Shoe's old car, from this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=118484
smontanaro
Did you snag any VINs for the database?
Ferg
more

jt914-6
I only got Shoe's old car's vin....I should have gotten the rest..I'm going to pm it to shoe so he can register it....
mojorisen914
How much did the shells go for? I would assume there was some useful parts on them still.
jt914-6
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Apr 12 2011, 04:15 PM) *

How much did the shells go for? I would assume there was some useful parts on them still.

$30-60 each....one had the motor and tranny still in it.....plenty of good parts on them...maybe one or two may be restored, but most will go to the crusher....
Man I wish I could have gotten over there today. Did not hear till last night about it tho....

Rest in Peace, Skip.....The man who turned me on to 914's....
Tom_T
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Apr 12 2011, 01:54 PM) *

IPB Image

That L80E one in back center of the pic above looks to be in pretty good condition.
huh.gif
jt914-6
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 12 2011, 05:49 PM) *

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Apr 12 2011, 01:54 PM) *

IPB Image

That L80E one in back center of the pic above looks to be in pretty good condition.
huh.gif

It was in the best shape of them all....it was a '70/71...
JeffBowlsby
Any chance someone got the VIN off that Creamsicle? Please post it here or email it to me if you did. creamsicle914.jpg
jt914-6
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 12 2011, 05:57 PM) *

Any chance someone got the VIN off that Creamsicle? Please post it here or email it to me if you did. creamsicle914.jpg

The vin for Shoe's creamsicle is: 4742915146 .....I PM'd it to him to enter.....
jt914-6
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Apr 12 2011, 04:43 PM) *

Rest in Peace, Skip.....The man who turned me on to 914's....

RIP from me also.....he got me into 914's too....although I'm sure he was rolling over in his grave at the prices of all his parts were going for.....
TheCabinetmaker
I imagine the same will happen to mine when I'm gone.
john grier
JT what about the rear bumper on the red car.
Is it an early model?
John
hot_shoe914
That creamsicle was my 3rd 914, but the first one that ran and drove. Sadly I owned it less than 72 hours before it met it's fate at the hood of a Camaro driven by some stupid bitch that was late for a house signing. I had my 6 yr old nephew with me. Had taken him to Walmart to get a tire for his bicycle. Only took them an hour and a half to cut me out of the car. 68,000 miles and pretty much in mint condition. That was 21 years ago.

Rest in Peace Skip. He also got me started on teeners.

p.s. I still have the keys for that car.
jt914-6
QUOTE(john grier @ Apr 12 2011, 07:19 PM) *

JT what about the rear bumper on the red car.
Is it an early model?
John

John....not sure of the year of the red one....I didn't look close at them...just looked at the black one, in the back, which was supposed to be a six...don't think it was..no vin on windshield frame and no front trunk handle to pull to get into the front trunk...no key on the left side of the dash....it did though have five lug on rear and a five lug spare in rear trunk and four lug up front.... confused24.gif
IronHillRestorations
Very sad to see. I just heard about it last night, or I would have made an effort to get there.

Skip did a transmission for my first conversion car, and we became friends at a surprise part at Rich Johnson. Skip and Gail came to the '97 Midwest Renegade Festival where I met my wife. He was recovering from cancer then. I never hear what he died from, and just assumed the cancer came back.

Were there any chassis worth saving? Were there any wheels, or NOS stuff? Tools?

Too bad for Gail, I'm sure all that car stuff has been a burden and a sad reminder of Skip. sad.gif
jt914-6
QUOTE(9146986 @ Apr 12 2011, 11:24 PM) *

Very sad to see. I just heard about it last night, or I would have made an effort to get there.

Skip did a transmission for my first conversion car, and we became friends at a surprise part at Rich Johnson. Skip and Gail came to the '97 Midwest Renegade Festival where I met my wife. He was recovering from cancer then. I never hear what he died from, and just assumed the cancer came back.

Were there any chassis worth saving? Were there any wheels, or NOS stuff? Tools?

Too bad for Gail, I'm sure all that car stuff has been a burden and a sad reminder of Skip. sad.gif

Perry....there wasn't much notice about the sale...I learned about it the morning of the sale...yes there was chassis worth saving, but the people there weren't "teeners"I think there were a dozen of buyers there...most were "scrappers"...wheels & tires went as one lot...not really much there...very little nos stuff...no tools to speak of...though have no idea where his race car or his lift got off to....In the end his heart gave out....for some reason he didn't want a transplant....
smontanaro
There are few enough of us named "Skip" that I don't think I've ever seen myself mentioned in the past tense before. Kinda eerie. :-/ Based on his name (and the testimonials I've seen here), he was clearly a good guy.

Skip

JRust
Dang Shoe your old creamsicle? Hate to see that go. I want to say I could save it blink.gif . Then I remember I can't get mine working & it wasn't that far gone dry.gif
jt914-6
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Apr 13 2011, 02:20 PM) *

There are few enough of us named "Skip" that I don't think I've ever seen myself mentioned in the past tense before. Kinda eerie. :-/ Based on his name (and the testimonials I've seen here), he was clearly a good guy.

Skip

No comment except those of us who knew him well knew his faults.... beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
No comment except those of us who knew him well knew his faults....

914 addiction RIP Skip
gms

I will never forget the drive to get beer at Rich Johnson's Christmas party in '96, Skip driving Perry's 3.0L and me chasing in Rich's 'Ole Yeller' ...legendary!
RIP Skip
IronHillRestorations
That was a ride to remember. We got those two cars home and pulled them both into the safety of Rich's garage. We kept thinking we'd hear a helicopter. Two hodrod 914's weaving in and out of traffic at 130mph down the three lane Dallas expressway, Skip kept saying "I gotta build me a 914 like this" and "don't worry there's a whole 'nother lane on the inside and outside". I think a punched a hole in the foam foot board with my foot, trying to stomp the brake pedal. A "never forget" ride for sure!

QUOTE(gms @ Apr 23 2011, 10:09 AM) *

I will never forget the drive to get beer at Rich Johnson's Christmas party in '96, Skip driving Perry's 3.0L and me chasing in Rich's 'Ole Yeller' ...legendary!
RIP Skip

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.