Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: spring compressors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
Ok.. I've noticed I'm not the only one (even close) on this board that has this issue... but the ass end of my car kinda sits up higher than the front. If I fill up the tank.. it's even more noticeable, so I always keep the tank at 1/2 or less........ Especially after seeing another teener this week that was lowered... his looked REALLY good.

I know this is the WRONG way to lower a car.. but money is a contributing factor right now, and I don't have the cash to upgrade to an entirely new rear suspension.. especially considering everything is pretty much new on it now.

Question: How much will those $40 lowering block / spring compressor thingy's really screw up my car if I use them to get me through the summer?

Question 2: I'm running 205/50's on the rear (with no rubbing at all). If I drop it approx 1.5 inches, will I rub??

Matt
Mueller
they won't screw up the car, but they have a tendancy of coming loose so you'd want to check on them every once in a while

do you know anyone with an oxy-acet. torch? if you have no budget, I'd cut the springs and have the cut end re-bent/ground down to match the cut-off section

as to lowing it 1.5", you should be fine, but an easy way to check is to remove the bottom bolt on the shock and with a floor jack under the transmission, lower the car to see if you have any clearance problems.
Demick
New springs are only $100. You are looking at $40 for a kludge. Or having them cut and ground will cost money. Why don't you just do it right since it's not much extra $$

Demick
415PB
QUOTE(Demick @ May 7 2004, 01:22 PM)
New springs are only $100. You are looking at $40 for a kludge. Or having them cut and ground will cost money. Why don't you just do it right since it's not much extra $$

Demick

agree.gif
airsix
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ May 7 2004, 12:38 PM)
but money is a contributing factor right now, and I don't have the cash to upgrade to an entirely new rear suspension..

You get laid to often for me to have any sympathy what so ever. (JK) Do it right. Save up for new rear springs, or springs + shocks with adjustable perches. (Koni and Bilstien come with adjustable perches).

Your springs likely have too small of a diameter for those spring compressors anyway - not much clearance between the shock body and the spring.

-Ben M.
andys
Cutting the spring, will increase it's rate. If slightly stiffer is what you want, then you'll be ok.

Andy
Mark Henry
Stuffing a psycho in the rear trunk might help. smile.gif
Trekkor
I just got dialed in at HPH with the Koni and adjustable 150# spring set up. Brad put the car on the down low. It looks great lowered and is perfectly even and balanced. Save up for the salt and pepper.

BTW, I don't think you get up in there to put those shackles on anyway. Too tight. Like mentioned before.
ninefourteener
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 7 2004, 03:49 PM)
Stuffing a psycho in the rear trunk might help. smile.gif

That would be a big, fat....... ROCK ON!!!! beerchug.gif

Unfortunately, I kinda like em small.. might need two psychos.

Ok.. new question... cause I'm thinking nearly $400 to redo the suspension... so help me out with suggestions to do it cheaper, but still the "right" way... price is a consideration.

Parts? What do I need, where do I buy them from?

Currently, both springs and shocks are new.... KYB shocks (yea, I know). Springs? Not sure, but they sit too high for my liking.

Suggestions?
airsix
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ May 7 2004, 03:59 PM)
Ok.. new question... cause I'm thinking nearly $400 to redo the suspension... so help me out with suggestions to do it cheaper, but still the "right" way... price is a consideration.

You need the right parts to do it right. So, buy the right parts ($400) or try to find the right parts used ($200). Those are the only options for doing it right IMHO.

You could keep your existing springs (if you like their rate) and just get some Koni or Bilstien shocks (which come with adjustable perches). That would be the cheapest way to go. I like to use Jason at Paragon for shocks. Maybe someone here has some old (adjustable perch) Konis or Bilstiens they would give you a good price on.

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.