Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Shaft Seal On Da Tranny
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
....the book says to carefully pry it out with a sharp screwdriver. I've been at it for an hour and can't get my tiniest screwdriver in between anywhere to pry this POS out fighting19.gif This screwdriver I use for repairing eye glasses so it's tiny!
Can I get some help please? pray.gif

.....b
Porsche Rescue
Bruce, I am not the best advisor on this so you might want to wait for others, but: Try using a big screwdriver and insert it between the shaft and the seal to pry out. Might put something crosswise under the "pry bar" to lever against.
I seem to remember Brad suggesting to use a punch or screwdriver and hammer to drive one side of the seal "in" which will lever the other side "out". However, he may have been talking about the crank seal on the engine.
Eric Taylor
I can't say I have done it, but If I remember right, brad recomended getting a seal puller and ripping that mother out. It should come out fairly easily
Eric
Bruce Allert
I finally got it out. Had to go to FLAPS & get the seal puller smash.gif
Bruce Allert
that suck'a worked great! clap56.gif
Bruce Allert
actually that last pic was after I got it out & the new one back in! Now it's all back together & I can put the tranny in boldblue.gif Had fun but I'll be sore in the morning cool.gif
At one time, while "sitting" under the car installing the flywheel my hamstrings began to scream so I layed back to stretch out.... it was raining & I could watch the drops coming off the gutters of the shop (door was open). Sure looked cool & took my mind off the pain. Should'a took a peek-ture. Hmmm might've had one too many Fat Tires too!!!
Bruce Allert
One more thing...
Made the tool for checking end play. Found that I was within tolerance (.005) beer.gif
Thanks Geoff for telling me about that. Learned one more thing smilie_pokal.gif

.....b
MarkV
I deleted my post after looking at the photo again. My replacement seal was way different the factory seal too. Sorry, didn't mean to alarm you. blink.gif
Bruce Allert
MarkV Posted on May 7 2004, 11:45 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I deleted my post after looking at the photo again. My replacement seal was way different the factory seal too. Sorry, didn't mean to alarm you.  

I thought I was given the wrong one after seeing the factory seal too. I tried it and it fit better around the shaft than the original.

....b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.