Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I hate carbs!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
75boxster
Webers are brand new and seem to fall out of tune(especially part throttle) very quickly. I know nothing about carbs so this is very frustrating. I feel much more comfortable with electronic control and tuning. I am looking to talk to the guys who have an aftermarket system on a flat four and have had good luck with it. Can this be done for $2500? Also in the mean time where do I look to learn a bit about these damn Webers and some rookie tuning instructions.

Signed, Carb ignorant.
anthony
You could probably do Megasquirt for less than $300-400. You'd also need a wide-band sensor setup or dyno time to tune it. The Kit Carlson FI kit should be coming out soon. Search the forum for more info.
nebreitling
what's your engine's specs? cam?

there's a new FI system (search: Kit Carlson) being tested right now, that would probably be your best bet for a hot 4. also, check out cbperformance.com -- they have an aftermarket FI. if your engine isn't too hot, there's always D-jet.

others (who know infinitely more) will chime in
Dave_Darling
There are two Weber books, the Weber Tech Manual and the Haynes manual for Webers. I think the Tech Manual is written by Pat Braden. They are well thought of by those I have talked to who have fussed with the Webers.

Megasquirt is an option, but if your Big Four is much bigger than 2 liters you will probably have to fabricate an intake manifold yourself or find something adapable.

Heh, or you can just use your Webers as throttle bodies and set up the MS (or other FI system) as an "Alpha-N" system, which reads throttle position (alpha) and RPM (N) and uses those inputs instead of air flow or manifold pressure... Sort of like an electronic MFI.

--DD
Jake Raby
I last adjusted my carbs on the 912E in February of 2003!

If you set them up right you'll have no issues as long as all adjustments are solid and tight and the rest of the engine is stable.

I have had customers run over 5 years with my engines just as they come off my dyno and never readjust their linkage till it wears completely out.

Where di you get the carbs/lonkage??

I can call you and walk you through a correct set up of them if you would like.

Bug Me video and I will be doing a carb tuning video over the summer, who wants one for about 39.95??
75boxster
Motor is a 2413, I know how we all feel about that big of a bore but
the case was already machined when I bought the car so I am sort
of stuck with that. Cam is a mild Web, lost the info on it already but
was only a couple of steps beyond stock. Stock 2 litre heads. Exhaust
has no heater boxes and was redone with 2.25" piping and mufflers.
Not meant to be a screamer, just enjoyable. Carbs are 44's and I am
near Denver so altitude is there also.
Jake Raby
That explains alot... One problem with the huge bores is unstable running...
The carbs are showing you an engine issue and illustrating it with the adjustment issues..

mammoth expansion during the heating cycles causes the issues that you are experiencing now. The carbs may be slightly out but you'd be suprised at what they would do on another engine.

There is no port work done to the heads?? WOW, holy port velocity!

I'd like to see the exhaust system, as that is also a huge contributing factor to carbs that are unable to be adjusted on a TIV engine. Exhaust is key, and most of the "custom" systems that muffler shops and etc whang together kill engines.

in this case doubt the carbs last, they can only do what the engine will let them do.
Peter_Hinkle
I live in Denver and run webers with absolutely no trouble at all. My car idles smoother than almost any FI car I have been in. I never have to "retune" my car. It is also a bb MOTOR. I could run up to your part of town and give ya a hand with setup.
Jake Raby
Its all in the set up.... linkage is of utmost importance
Aaron Cox
agree.gif

get the super CB performance linkage, you'll never regret it.
KitCarlson
Hi!
A KitCarlson EMS Update!

This week I am traveling to Illinois for a couple KitCarlson EMS installs. One is for Brad Mayuer, the long time 914 expert. The other is for a newly built 914 turbo engine.

Both of the installs should only take a couple of hours, with much needed feedback coming soon.

The following week I an traveling to the Massive Type IV, engine builder Jake Raby, to set him up with unit for dyno testing on various engines.

Please visit my website at: http://home.mindspring.com/~dave.c/kitcarlson/
Jake Raby
Seriously looking forward to it......

I can give you data, and dat and data..... stay here as long as you wish!
cnavarro
Kit, when are you going to be at Brad's? I'd love to come down and give you guys a hand, or at least do some photo documenting for those who can't be lucky enough to view the whole process. I'm just about 1.5hrs north from Brad...

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
75boxster
Ok, I am ready to buy! When can the common shmoe buy this product. Looked at the website and did'nt seem like it was available yet.
Rusty
Kit,

When you visit Brad, please let him know I said hi. He was one of my biggest supporters when I started turning my own wrenches.

He's a class act, all the way. Glad he's in on this project!

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.