Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pics.-Very early 1973 Teener found
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
What a day! Found this Very, Very early 1973 914er at a VW repair shop during my travels today. Talked to the shop owner and found out the car may be for sale. Original lady owner with 64M orig. miles. The thing that stands out is the vinyl trim around the front windshield. Serial # 250 makes it an early one. Looks like this early trim was installed on the first 250 one for sure. Car had the original tool kit (light tan) & the screwdriver was a light white/grey color. Don't remember anything but black ones.
As the saying goes there out there.
Nice CA car with a few issues & a good canidate for our hungry 914 MI guys. I may want it myself if the price is right. Wonder if the early model is worth more??
Tom
P.S.
Another reason for my good day. The VW shop had a mint Saratogga top I bought for $100 bucks.
TJB/914
Pic#2
TJB/914
pic #3
GaroldShaffer
sweet. Keep us posted.

- Garold
McMark
I'm not sure when they switched, but some cars in this timeframe came with early light no-bar doors and later better window mechanisms.
JeffBowlsby
My recollection (documented in one of the books somewhere maybe?) is that there were about 1000 of the earliest 73s made with the windshield hoop vinyl. I have seen one or two out here at the Concours events.

That car is unique and especially considering its condition, would be a good Concours candidate.

The untrimmed edge of the windshield vinyl at the fender line always looked unresolved to my eye...
boxstr
If you go back and look at Bruce Allerts Punkin at the PIR autocross, you will see that he has the factory windshield hoop vinyl.
CCLINVINYLANDLACE
Curvie Roadlover
Good eye Tom!!
Did you do some representin' on behalf of SMOG for us?
Saratoga top for 100 bucks? Don't those go for like 1K on ebay occasionally?
Keep us posted.
skline
I saw a Saratoga top go on Ebay for 2700.00 once. I thought it was a joke. I emailed the seller and they said the guy really wanted it and sent the money through PayPal. I still dont believe it. It also looks like the passenger side door is sagging on that car, you may want to check the longs before you jump into buying it.
TJB/914
Hey Curvie,
I carry my camera with me. Remember that phantom Green/white LE you told us about last month, cough, cough. We will never let you forget!!!

I looked the car over & it's a former CA car with a few rust issues. Hell hole had a little surface rust, couldn't tell if there was a hole. rust bubbles both side of the sail panels, door alignments perfect. Surface rust in trunk under the taillights (nothing serious). One paint job over the origingal. Overall this car needs to fall into someones hands before it suffers futher MI winters. Overall the owner took good care of the car. I am really going to try to expose this one to Kelly R if he is still in the market. Remember the other Lt. Blue one I was dickering with. The price went up to $4,500 & still available to our guys (15 yrs dry storage 1974 1.8 L one owner rust free w/no options-plain-jane type). I passed on that one. It didn't fit my project goals.
Tom (looking for my nest project car)
i love porsche
oo..very nice...i have a question...where can i find the side negative decals like that...there are some on ebay every once and a while..but they are a bit different...the text is smaller...does anyone know
TheCabinetmaker
contact MIke Zois
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.