Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuch's and Tires - Expert Opinions Requried!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larouex
I have started to fit my new flares. I have Fuch's all around, 16x8 on the back and 16x7 on the front. I have been to 3 tires shops here in Seattle and I am frustrated as no one seems to be able give advice unless they match to a car year and model.

What do you all recommend? I want a lower profile, a flat to receding sidewall and good looks.

Here are some project shots...
Phase 3

Phase 3 - 2

TIA!
Larouex
Bruce Hinds
links don't work.
TheCabinetmaker
Face book??????
mepstein
Common width for those wheels and a flared 914 is 205 & 225 front and rear. You might want to decide on a tire diameter and then pick the appropriate aspect ratio using a tire size calculator. Then decide if it looks right.

You might need a spacer for the front to fill out the wheel well.

PS - Not an expert, just my opinion.
DanT
225x50 or 225x55 front
245x45 or 245x50 rear
Larouex
Fixed the links on my posts on facebook had them locked to friends only, should be available for everyone now.

What about brands?

Larouex
turnaround89
Hows this for fuchs and tires

Dunlop Direzza 205 50 R16 front and 225 50 R16 rears
IPB Image

I love the tires, great grip and not extremely expensive. I bought mine from tire rack and had them installed by a buddy at sears
Larouex
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Apr 13 2011, 09:42 PM) *

Hows this for fuchs and tires

Dunlop Direzza 205 50 R16 front and 225 50 R16 rears
IPB Image

I love the tires, great grip and not extremely expensive. I bought mine from tire rack and had them installed by a buddy at sears

Those sizes fit the 16x7" and 16x8"? I like the profile...

Larouex
turnaround89
Absolutely, i have the same rims on my car 16x7 in the front and 16x8 in the rear
Tire Rack Tire Size/Rim Size

If you look at the middle column that says Rim width range, you can see all the rim widths that the dunlop tire will fit and all the sizes the tire comes in. This is how i figured out what tires to get for my car. You can look up the info on what size tire fits what size rim for all tires that tire rack offers. I just used the dunlop as an example, hope this helps

The thing i liked most about the tires, is that the rim sits inside a nice gap of tire, so if you accidentally scrap a curb, the sidewall of the tire takes the beating and not the rim.

Once you buy the tires, just take them to any tire shop and have them mounted and balanced. I ran into the same issue when i looked for tires, the tire places wanted a year, make, model and kept telling me my rims won't fit the car and that going off the the width of the rim doesn't tell them anything about what tires will fit. I said screw talking to them after awhile because they weren't helping and went the tire rack route.

My tires fit perfectly and they look fantastic. Would recommend these tires to anybody
IronHillRestorations
225/55 or the 205/55 up front. The wider tire makes low speed turning and parking more arm wrestling.

I'd go with 245/45 in the back.

Get the best tire you can afford. Dunlops are good, Pirelli's and Michelin's are better but cost more. I've gone even cheaper on tires, and regretted not spending more and getting better tires.
racerbvd
225 is the widest that I would go on an 8X16, yes, a 245 will fit, but it bulges losing any benefit of the wider tire by increasing the flex in the sidewall. Just because something kits, doesn't mean it is a good fit, think of fat chicks in spandex at the mall.
DanT
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Apr 14 2011, 12:55 PM) *

225 is the widest that I would go on an 8X16, yes, a 245 will fit, but it bulges losing any benefit of the wider tire by increasing the flex in the sidewall. Just because something kits, doesn't mean it is a good fit, think of fat chicks in spandex at the mall.

The factory put 225s on the rear of SCs and Carreras on 7x16s. smile.gif
racerbvd
QUOTE(DanT @ Apr 14 2011, 01:42 PM) *

QUOTE(racerbvd @ Apr 14 2011, 12:55 PM) *

The factory put 225s on the rear of SCs and Carreras on 7x16s. smile.gif

Yes, and that does work, but 245s don't work well on 8X16s.
DanT
Interesting, I just checked on tirerack.com and the 245x45and 245x50 were all measured for specs on 7.5" or 8" rims. confused24.gif
ConeDodger
Pending final measurements, I plan on putting the 245's on 8.5" custom Weidman Fuch wheels when I put the flares on...
DanT
That should look great Rob...Are they 16" Fuch centers on BBS hoops?
Ran 255s on 8.5s on my Boxster and 964 C2 smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(DanT @ Apr 14 2011, 07:03 PM) *

That should look great Rob...Are they 16" Fuch centers on BBS hoops?
Ran 255s on 8.5s on my Boxster and 964 C2 smile.gif

No Dan, Harvey made two 16X8.5 out of four 16X6 wheels. Pretty popular thing to do as you can do it for less than buying a pair of 8's or 9's... Probably why it is getting harder to find 6's!
DanT
Nice!
Larouex
Awesome, I am smart now thanks your experiences, that is why I love this forum.

LOL BTW for this one...
<<
... think of fat chicks in spandex at the mall.
>>

I do think about them, that is the problem!

Larouex
stugray
I would go with Eagle GTs

http://www.sears.com:80/shc/s/p_10153_1260...mp;blockType=L2

Stu
Larouex
I went with the recommended sizes of 205 and 225, thanks, those sizes make the sidewalls perfect and just a nub of overhang.

Some pictures as I am sizing the fit for the flares and swapping the entire suspension with all restored parts from an 89 911 and Eric Shea.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

r_towle
what kind of flare is that, or is that a hammered stock fender just being re-installed?

Rich
Cairo94507
Well what ever it is I like it. Very clean look and it retains the original wheel well opening. Very subtle. OH, almost forget, killer looking wheels and tires.
Larouex
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 23 2011, 03:55 PM) *

what kind of flare is that, or is that a hammered stock fender just being re-installed?

Rich

Hand Hammered and Formed - Racer Chris did them and I bought them last year.

Larouex
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.