Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Silicone valve cover Gaskets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgphoto
Hello and thanks for taking the time to look.
I picked up a set of Gasket Innovations silicone valve cover gaskets, for the longest time I have had problems with leaky valve cover gaskets, I have resorted to using shellac gasket compound on my cork gaskets which seals the covers pretty well but removal is a bitch and adds a lot of time to the valve adjustment process.
Has anyone used the silicone gaskets?
Any advice will be welcome.
Thanks,
Mike

ps: image stolen from their website.

Click to view attachment
Rand
I've never had issues with the cork ones, and never used any kind of treatment/compound on them. I wonder if your surfaces are flat and clean?
zymurgist
I use GM rubber gaskets on my iron Vortec heads. Never a leak from the gasket area.
904svo
What you will fine is when they are first installed they work great, after the first valve adjustment you can't stop them from leaking. The silicon shapes itself
after a few heat cycles on the engine. This is what I found after trying them. Plain
cork gaskets work best.
Geezer914
Just use the cork gaskets and Permatex Hylomar gasket sealer. You can remove the valve covers and replace them using the gaskets without applying any more Hylomar. Great stuff, I use that shit on everything!
Bartlett 914
Make sure your cover isn't warped. Remove the gasket and test fit it on the head. This will tell you a little better how flat it lays.
drgchapman
Silicone gaskets tend to walk out of place.
Cork gaskets are best.
Dave_Darling
The "VW" stamp on the covers goes on upside down. Use some sealer in the corners of the cover to tack the gasket into place. Not much, just enough to keep the corner of the gasket in the corner of the cover.

If the cover and the head surface are both flat and true, you shouldn't have any leaks. And you can pull the cover off and put it back on without having to re-goop the gasket at all.

--DD
VaccaRabite
What I have been doing is putting a THIN smear of sealant on the gasket where it meets the cover (no sealer on the head). The gaskets last several valve adjustments when done this way and my covers never leak.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.