Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: About to be a 914 owner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimB
Drove up to Roseville today with plans to get the green 914 on ebay. One popped up nearby in Pleasanton so I stopped by on the way. Long story short (but watch me ramble anyway), the cars were on fairly equal ground and I chose the local one for less $ and hassle - and I like the color better smile.gif.
It's far from perfect but a good start. Was painted original Alaska Blue a few years ago but shows a bit of spidering on rear hood and one major run (see photo of rear driver side), apparently due to some material being spilled on the car. That's going to bother me so I will need to figure out how to get that fixed ASAP, along with the missing front valance - maybe a simple spoiler would be good here? Any ideas on these two things? I imagine the valance can be gotten at Parts Haven in Hayward.
Interior is like new with leather seats. Must be a cap on the dash (never seen one) because it's really clean. All new seals, yadda yadda.
I will be the 4th owner with all service documents on 75k miles, new Bilsteins, lowered, front mounted oil cooler (for which they took out the fog light?) no rebuild but lots of new parts and regular service, 140# in 3 cylinders, 120# in one. Was just serviced with new fluids and valve job
OK I will stop rambling.
Immediate issues to fix in no particular order (any ideas welcome):
- paint run and a few chips here and there (do I just do a respray? how much?)
- front valance and grill
- fan/defrost blower didn't seem to work, but it supposedly worked last Summer (fuse hopefully)
- surface rust in trunk
- well it will of course need an unobtrusive subwoofer!
- investigate possible brake upgrades

OK now I will stop typing. Snapshots at http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&col...=1&sort_order=0

How do I get a cool 914 hat!
SirAndy
sounds cool! smilie_pokal.gif

unfortunately, the link to the pix is not working ... sad.gif
Andy
Gint
Cool! smilie_pokal.gif

Contact Seanery and ask for a leftover.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
TimB
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 7 2004, 09:19 PM)
sounds cool!  :trophy:

unfortunately, the link to the pix is not working ...  :(
Andy

I guess you have to be an ofoto member now to view the pics.
I created a dummy account -
user: tim@suse.com
pass: timsuse

Tried to add pic here via File Attachment but it says "Document contains no data". I'm too tired to figure it out right now.
Levi
From the pictures it looks like a nice car, go for it if the price is right
TimB
The deal is sealed. I just have to deliver the cash and pick up the car.

HOW DID YOU ATTACH THAT PIC?

Thanks
campbellcj
I can't believe you're dissing RAVENNA GREEN ! ohmy.gif It did take a while to grow on me, I admit, but the "chicks" seemed to dig it from day one.

(Although metallic blues are a favorite of mine as well. )

So congrats on your new addiction, and definitely keep us posted.
TimB
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 7 2004, 10:24 PM)
I can't believe you're dissing RAVENNA GREEN ! ohmy.gif It did take a while to grow on me, I admit, but the "chicks" seemed to dig it from day one.

Actually the Rivenna Green car owner decided not to sell. The car on ebay is a repaint of Zambezi Green. The Zambezi paint job is OK but was "missing something". The hood is also really bubbly.
Don't mess wit' me man. I done decided!
campbellcj
All in fun...I thought you were poking at the ravenna color which obviously has its fans and its haters, as one of the most extreme 70's colors. The blue car looks really nice and definitely keep us posted as things unfold.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(TimB @ May 7 2004, 08:47 PM)

These people have nice hats for all Porsche models, have a really good rep on the 356 lists. their page shows a yellow 914.6 just like mine, i'm gonna hafta do that some fine day ...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(TimB @ May 7 2004, 10:12 PM)
I guess you have to be an ofoto member now to view the pics.

we just went through this with a batch of pictures coming in from RennList Reuinion and the Hershey swap -- i urge you to READ the 'privacy statement' on Ofoto and decide if you REALLY want to join. i read the statement and 'just said no' ...
plas76targa
Tim, Congratulations on the new ownership. As a WTB enthusiast, I've been watching the posts - was even thinking we should team up to search together. Now to see you found one in my current home town (ouch) - how'd you hear of that? The blue looks great. Enjoy the car and I'll be looking forward to seeing it and you at the next breakfast.

still searching, Matt
Gint
Looks like a pretty nice teener. Worst problem being the paint issue, provided there is no rust. Did you get a good look at the longs and hellhole?

Congrats!
stecz
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 8 2004, 12:24 AM)

I bought Chris' Ravenna Green '73.... I flew out to LA from Austin, TX to look at it and then drove it home... I flew out on a Saturday morning, Chris picked me up at the airport in the car and while I was taking a quick look at it, some body walked up and made a comment about what a cool car it is. On the highway home, I couple of people raced up and drove next to me and gave me a thumbs up.... When I got home on Sunday, I didn't go home, but drove straight to a friends house where my family was getting ready to watch the super bowl... I took my wife out to see the car and her reaction was (along with a bunch of the non-car lovers there) was UUUHHHHH! They hated it... My dad says that I must be very confident in my man hood to drive a car that color...

So it is polarizing, but the good out weighs the bad... heck, Ravenna is the color of the car on the front of the '73 914 dealer brochure, so it must be good...
4WheelDrifter
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 8 2004, 02:24 AM)

There will be another ravenna green 914 out there in the next year or so. Mine will be going back to it's original color during the resto.

TimB, sweet looking car. Good luck!
TimB
Thanks all. I checked all the usual rust spots. Everything is pretty good except the things I mentioned. I pick it up tomorrow and will have a million questions.
John, you better enjoy that Ravenna green car since you didn't sell it to me! smile.gif
TimB
QUOTE(plas76targa @ May 8 2004, 05:11 AM)
Tim, Congratulations on the new ownership. As a WTB enthusiast, I've been watching the posts - was even thinking we should team up to search together. Now to see you found one in my current home town (ouch) - how'd you hear of that? The blue looks great. Enjoy the car and I'll be looking forward to seeing it and you at the next breakfast.

still searching, Matt

Matt,
I saw the 914 advertised on Craigslist. There's typically a few on there.

Tim

PS: I'm still clueless on the picture posting for this site. Can anyone help?
GWN7
If the pictures are on your puters HD, reduce the size of them to about 300.

Then at the bottom of the page just above "add reply" button is a box that says "browse", click on that button and find them on your puter. Click on the location there are in your puter from the browse locator and then hit the add reply button. all done smile.gif

P.S. congrats about the car beer.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Tim, at the bottom of the add reply page is a box that says file attachment. Hit browse, go get your pic, and hit add reply. Do not preview the post. Your file must be 307200 bytes or smaller.
GaroldShaffer
These people have nice hats for all Porsche models, have a really good rep on the 356 lists. their page shows a yellow 914.6 just like mine, i'm gonna hafta do that some fine day ...

I have one of their hats, nice, but not as nice as the hats Seanery had done.

- Garold
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.