Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Prices are going to kill me!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
morph
I just paid $2.20 gallon for gas, and the prices are still going up, every day the price goes up 3 or 4 cents.

Hiedi
415PB
I payed 2.53 a gallon today. This sucks
Aaron Cox
at $220.00 i wouldnt be complaining about a couple cents increase biggrin.gif

(i know you meant 2.20)
morph
Got it fixed
morph
QUOTE(415PB @ May 8 2004, 10:18 AM)

now I don't feel so bad
SirAndy
QUOTE(morphenspectra @ May 8 2004, 11:20 AM)

now I don't feel so bad

yupp, we're well above $2.50 here in CA ...

sad.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
Come get your car. Fuel filter was leaking that expensive gas.

I can see "Mad Max" in our near futur where people are fighting over gas.

They are royally fucking us. The govt. hasnt figured out that our economy goes into the toilet when we cannot move about.

B
lapuwali
Sheesh. Pansies.

Gas prices in the UK hit 82p per litre yesterday, now that oil has hit $40 a barrel. Let's see now: $1.78 per pound, so that's $1.45 per litre. Roughly 3.8 liters per US gallon, so $5.50 per US gallon. I always seem to put 12-13 US gallons in my 914 a fill-up time, or about $70 v. about $30. And the UK is NOT the most expensive place for gas in Europe.

I remember a friend of mine complaining that when US gas prices broke $1/US gallon for the first time, that he'd have to give up his car.
Brad Roberts
Europe has high gas because they TAX the shit out of it. Germany actually uses their gas tax money to fix the roads.. we piss ours away into welfare and other bottomless pits.

B
i love porsche
man...and to think i was pissed off that i had to spend 1.79/gallon today at my usual place....well..i guess i dont have it so bad afterall hehe
lapuwali
My tongue was in my cheek on that comment, Brad. However, while I'll grant that the difference in Europe is all taxes (indeed, the most expensive place to buy gas in Europe is the only OPEC country in Europe: Norway, entirely due to taxes), paying more than 2x for their gas hasn't "royally fucked" the European economies, and hasn't kept people from driving there.

My comment was essentially meant as "oh stop whinging, it could be MUCH worse".
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 8 2004, 11:48 AM)
Come get your car. Fuel filter was leaking that expensive gas.

yeah! smilie_pokal.gif

now i have to wait for shannon to come back from her girls-night-out ...

i feel so un-mobile right now.
sad.gif Andy
DuckRyder
Oh please.

You can complain when your daily driver is a truck that gets 4-5 MPG HIGHWAY and burns a gallon of oil per tank. smile.gif
VegasRacer

That almost makes 110 octane race gas seem cheap at $5/gal. smilie_flagge24.gif
rhodyguy
wait til it hits $3.50. then start whinning. no offense. the magic $40 a barrel makes it a profitable venture to harvest the U.S. crude. that means the money stays in the states right? if they (you know who), let them (you know who) use higher sulfur content oil it will save us $.05 a gallon. big deal. i smell a windfall profit. no wait, that would be the high sulfur crude. lots of love.

kevin
Mark Henry
$.94/liter here mad.gif
vortrex
still less than $2 for 94 octane here.
SP9146
Guys I don't think it's taxes this time or production cutbacks. I understand the demand side is at work, China demand. The growing economy there is putting pressure on oil, steel, you name it prices.

In some respects their growing economy is good in others not so good. I understand there is enough fossil fuel to last at least two more generations, if we move to more fuel efficent cars. Not sure if those projections included China demand coming around so quickly.

Means this is not a temporary situation this time. Lots of oil in the Russian ground, only hope I see is them tapping into that quickly.

Hybrids are good for people who don't like cars much. Better for us car guys are the new generation common rail diesels. They give hybrid like MPG and better performance than gas. I've driven the 530d in Europe and it's awesome. 33MPG combined and BAGS O' TORQUE!

M/B E320 CDI just went on sale, receiving rave reviews by the journalists

These new diesels don't smell, smoke or make much nosie. A little more noise at idle than gas but the old diesel smoke and clatter are gone.

Great MPG means low CO2 so good for greenhouse gases . Diesel fuel will be sulfur free in US by 2007 which will be good news for diesel emissions. Unfortuantely emission standards get ridiculously stringent at around the same time which means these new diesels may not make it past 07. If those regs relax or we have technological breakthrough you will be able to buy and get 30MPG combined in your Chevy Tahoe.

We need to pressure the Feds and CARB to be kind towards this godsend.

Pete
1970 914-6 Irish Green
mikester
There are a number of factors as to why our gas prices are so high but I think it really relates to the VALUE of the dollar itself more than anything else.

Take a look at the exchange rate to the pound and the euro over the last two years. I think you'll find that gas in GB and EUrope haven't gone up the percentage over the last two years that our $ per gas has.

The Value of the $ is way way down - so honestly is makes sense that the price for a barrel of oil would go up. I think we could blame it on the multiple formulations, where we get our oil...all kinds of things to blame it on but the bottom line is the American Dollar has dwindled tremendously since 9/11. Thus our cost of living is going to go up in kind.

The Pound: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=USDGBP=X&t...l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

The Euro: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=USDEUR=X&t...l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

I'd love to see a graph of the price of gas average in GB and EU.
TimT
Well drop your drawers, and place your elbows on the table....

its going to get alot more expensive soon... summer driving season officially starts soon.. And the government has the balls to tell us to expect higher gas prices..instead of doing anything about it...The Saud family will lower prices come election time...

Face it we are getting fucked... so turn around, pants down, elbows on the table..
mikester
Exactaramadingdong

Couldn't have said it better myself.
rhodyguy
and without so much as a kiss first tim.
Randal
6-8 months ago I heard Joseph Alioto, the ex-major of San Francisco, on The Savage Nation, talking about why our prices are so high in Northern California.

He said that regardless of what is presented, there are really only two gas companies, i.e., they own all the others…

Or in other words what we have here is a Monopoly.

And guess what folks, there isn’t going to be anyone who is going to move against them, including the Justice Department.

Oh, by the way gas companies value their inventory on a first in last out basis. What this means is that they re-cost the entire “pipeline” on the basis of the last oil purchase.

Of course this is supposed to drop prices as quickly as the price per barrel goes down, but we all know differently.

Politics as usual.
Malmz
I'm still trying to reason why diesel is now the same price as premium here, when two months ago it was $.20 less then regular... And diesel is about 5 steps down the refinement chain as gas...

Oh well, gotta pay to play. Just wish they would increase their credit card max charges at the same time so I could get a bit more then half a tank in the Excessive at one filling... $75.00 shut off is just stoopid when gas is $2.50 a gallon.

sm
Otmar
Gas? What's that?
You guys still using gas? rolleyes.gif
I'm voting for $5 a gallon here in the US. I figure it's the best way to get rid of those SUVs that are risking my life by being on the road. fighting19.gif

Oh well, stupid is as stupid does, and in Uhmerica that means believing TV ads and throwing lots of pure profit at the car makers for unsafe gas guzzling SUVs. (It's just a pickup truck, Duh!)

Just be glad our beloved teeners get close to 30 mpg on gas. (I think that's right, correct me if I'm wrong it's been a while since I ran one on gas)

Have fun!
Chris914n6
QUOTE(SP9146 @ May 8 2004, 02:27 PM)
Means this is not a temporary situation this time. Lots of oil in the Russian ground, only hope I see is them tapping into that quickly.

Pete
1970 914-6 Irish Green

Don't worry, it's in process... just had to clear the way through Afganistan and Iraq for the pipeline. We've already twisted Saudi Arabia's arm. Thank our Republican friends finger.gif

Chris
"a good stock trader has resources..." forgot what seminar that was from.
mikester
My 914 got freaking great mileage on the highway but horrible in town. The 911 is the same. Last night I drove from LA to San Diego and back on half a tank of gas. Over 250 miles - in my Xterra that would have been a whole tank of gas.
Bruce Allert
I have a 68 galon tank in the "Beav" ohmy.gif Shit!(at 6 mpg) I may as well just get a $100 a night motel for the next trip. Sure hope it goes down in 2 months!!! sad.gif

.........b
rhodyguy
oh, they're going to go down bruce. i mean the stack of c-notes in your wallet. since i'm a happy commuter these days, bus to seattle, i've noticed the park and ride is half full of suvs and big pickups. we haven't seen anything yet. wait until interest rates start climbing and the housing market collapses. rocking nana.gif

kevin
mikester
I take the bus every day to work. My commute is half of what it is if I drive and I take a nap on the way to work and on the way home.

The park and ride is quite full of SUVs.
anthony
My buddy takes the bus too. The problem is that most of us don't have that option.

There was an interesting piece on NPR a couple weeks ago. The guy made the case that $3+/gallon gas might be good for the economy in the long run. It might cause a boom in solar technology development, wind power, hybrids that get 60mpg and other alternative fuel cars.

A boom in domestic alternative energies would help the economy and at the same time reduce the amount of money we are sending abroad for the purchase of oil.
PatW
Supply and demand and Government Intervention helps keep Gas here in the Peoples Republic of Kaliforina, expensive.

Last I heard; there was like 17 different blends of gas in this State because of county regs. Add that no new Oil Refineries have been built in many years and we are all wondering WTF? IMHO

Instead I'll drive my 914 untill the motor drops. Then get a Raby 2270 and laugh some more. Oh wait. Smog Law reform threatens to kill my 914 to the scrap heap.
I'm Fu'ked. This state sucks.. I want out.

Pat
Red-Beard
Glad to hear the run back was uneventful! Good time had by all.

At Costco on Monday, regular gas was $2.09/gal (Pretty cheap in San Diego). Thursday it was $2.19 and I filled the 911 with 92 for $2.39. Highest in Town is $2.79 for regular.

This helps a lot!

Fuel Tracker - San Diego

Warning - Warning - Warning! Very liberal website
UCAN's Home
Warning - Warning - Warning! Very liberal website
tesserra
The story on the deisel going up is that spill, piprline break, they had in the Delta.
It just pisses me off that the oil companies make a profit on thier fuck-ups. They save long term capital expenses by not maitaining there pipeline, it breaks, the news makes a big deal about it, then prices go up in no relation to the true expense of the "disaster".
If I screw something up in my buisness I can not make it up on the customers in the following 2 or three weeks.
I guess I am in the wrong buisness.

Sepreate rant:
Why the FUCK is propane more expensive? They don't have to "reformulate" it for summer, they didn't spilll any. I guess the answer is "because they can"

HAPPY MOTHER DAY to all. Honor your mothers and mothers of your children. Moms are awesome!

George
rhodyguy
shell- royal dutch petroleum. bp- british petroleum. hehe. the bus ride is under an hour as compared to the 2 1/2 each way it took the first day when i drove up. every nice moring i think how fun it would be to drive the silver car up with the top off. that thought lasts for about 30 seconds. bus pass is $90 a month for unlimited travel.

kevin
morph
i walked in the house and gave my wife the recipt for filling our company truck(v6 dodge dakota)used to cost 28.00 to fill it it was 39.00 dollars the other day.and thats why she started this post she drives a geo metro to work used to cost 8.00 to fill the tank on that thing now its 15.00.my 914 who knows never paid attention i just drive.
she started this thread cause she sees the recipts shes the bean counter. im the all american consumer laugh.gif
james
Trekkor
Diesel in Napa was $2.49 a gal. $.06 higher than 91 octane.

This is expensive..but what isn't?

Think about the price per gallon you pay for the other liquids we use:

Milk, Beer, Wine, OJ, Olive Oil, Coke etc. even bottled water. A single serve coke/water outta a vending machine = $7.50 a gal wacko.gif

Gas is by far the cheap thrill of the day. clap56.gif

BTW, west coast real estate is up, so the gas stations gotta recover somehow.

I paid $85 to top off my truck the other day. headbang.gif

So...Everything said...Make more money rocking nana.gif
Ahh memories, when diesel was .89 a gal just 3-4 years ago.

FYI- I heard a funny story about a guy who used to collect spent deep fat fryer oil from restaunts. He'd put this stuff in his diesel mixed 50/50 with fuel.
Story goes- " It ran great, but smelled like burnt fish-n-chips goin' down the road! " w00t.gif

Ideas? idea.gif
MXMARK
Man I need to figure this out. $32.00 for 5 gal of race gas leaded and 2.49 for 10 gal of 91 super unleaded. Tank not full but close. This equals 56.90 per tank or 3.79 per gallon at 22 miles per gal. 2.5l race motor and daily driver. Still gets better then my Ford truck. Oh well the bicycle or motorcycle might have to get cleaned up and ready. Mark
tesserra
A great lee Iacoca quote:

There is some thing wrong with a country that would gladly pay more for bottled water than gas.

I paraphrased it, but he is right.
If the oil companies kept the price consistent then we could shift to better mileage cars slowly.
Then we could buy used high milage/hybrid type cars and SUVs.
It makes no money sense to give up my paid for Suburban to have a $500 monthly payment on a new, better milage vehicle, to save $200 per month on gas.

George
Malmz
QUOTE(trekkor @ May 9 2004, 09:32 AM)
FYI- I heard a funny story about a guy who used to collect spent deep fat fryer oil from restaunts. He'd put this stuff in his diesel mixed 50/50 with fuel.
Story goes- " It ran great, but smelled like burnt fish-n-chips goin' down the road! " w00t.gif

Ideas? idea.gif

I saw one recently like that too. $800 conversion to run 100% on used cooking oil, and it got close to double the mileage... yep, same quote about the smell though...

sm
Red-Beard
You startup and shutdown on Diesel. You switch over to the fry oil once the engine is warmed up. It actually is supposed to get better mileage with the fry oil than with diesel.

HOWEVER. I would bet that the emmisions are much worse. Also, there isn't that much fry oil around, as compared to diesel...

James
Otmar
I don't know about the emissions of SVO (straight Vegetable Oil) but the tests on Biodiesel (which is made from the same used oil) show that the emissions are much lower than dino diesel.

I've got a friend who is looking for a 4 cyl TDI to put in his 914 just so he can run Biodiesel. I'm looking for a 5cyl TDI to put in my tow rig. Tow Rig Not quiet, but I really want that turbo diesel torque for the mountain passes.
Rusty
QUOTE(trekkor @ May 9 2004, 09:32 PM)
This is expensive..but what isn't?

Think about the price per gallon you pay for the other liquids we use:

Milk, Beer, Wine, OJ, Olive Oil, Coke etc. even bottled water. A single serve coke/water outta a vending machine = $7.50 a gal wacko.gif

Gas is by far the cheap thrill of the day. clap56.gif

bs.gif I saw that email floating around a couple of year ago... no doubt created by some PR folks at a gas company to be distributed around the internet.

If you needed to buy bottled water, milk, olive oil or Coke in lots of 15-50 gallons, just to be able to get from place to place: all hell would be breaking loose.

It's not even a valid comparison. Besides, who actually buys those little bottles of water from the machine anyways? What's wrong with a water fountain?

-Rusty smoke.gif
MrPitbull
As the guy from UK said our price of gas is so much expensive here than in US and with my toys its really expensive but what the heck I like them a lot!
The gas price in Sweden is now, 10.83Kr per liter for 98 octan. 1 dollar is 7.53 skr so that is almost two dollar per liter.....
Red-Beard
QUOTE(Lawrence @ May 9 2004, 11:50 PM)
It's not even a valid comparison. Besides, who actually buys those little bottles of water from the machine anyways? What's wrong with a water fountain?

Hmmmmm.

I do, when I've lost my last one which I usually fill up at the water fountain....

Yeah, Coke sells you _water_ in a bottle for more than they sell you, uh, Coke. wacko.gif
mikester
QUOTE(MrPitbull @ May 10 2004, 02:38 AM)
As the guy from UK said our price of gas is so much expensive here than in US and with my toys its really expensive but what the heck I like them a lot!
The gas price in Sweden is now, 10.83Kr per liter for 98 octan. 1 dollar is 7.53 skr so that is almost two dollar per liter.....

Question is, have your prices been going up at the rate ours have been?
Trekkor
beer.gif

The price per gallon on a tall, cool , Budweiser goes up even higher if you set foot into a into a restaurant, bar, pool hall or the worst... Ball park $6.75 for a Barley Pop. headbang.gif

$ 54.00 a Gallon at the Giants ( giant rip off ) fighting19.gif
Red-Beard
Yeah, but you're paying for the ambiance... drunk.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ May 9 2004, 07:21 PM)
You startup and shutdown on Diesel. You switch over to the fry oil once the engine is warmed up. It actually is supposed to get better mileage with the fry oil than with diesel.

HOWEVER. I would bet that the emmisions are much worse. Also, there isn't that much fry oil around, as compared to diesel...

James

You DO NOT have to modify a diesel engine (you do retard timing slightly on straight BD) to run on bio-diesel. You do have to modify it if you plan to run SVO (straight vegetable oil)

You also cannot just pour fryer oil (unless you have a SVO system) in your tank, it must be refined into bio-diesel.

You can make (DIY) bio-diesel yourself with used fryer oil. Restaurants have to pay to get rid of their old oil, so most are more than happy to give it to you. Canada (Ontario) has several gas stations offering a bio-diesel blend now.

Bio-diesel FAQ:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

We are thinking about getting a diesel jetta, if we do I might try it.
balljoint
Filled up with high-octane over the weekend.

$0.9550 CDN/litre

=$3.61 CDN/gallon

=$2.64 USD/gallon

Of course that was in the truck which gets me 500 km+ to a tank (75 l).

The 914 is really cheap on gas. No motor in it yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.