Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 resto warning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Gint

The 914/6 "rust"oration process has officially begun. I sure hope I can get out for less than $10k. Plan on some stupid CW type questions in the near future. I love pics BTW. I have some nice /4 parts to sell off to help offset the cost of this project.

Motor/tranny have been removed (many thanks to Brant, Scott, Mike and Jon for the assistance). The interior will be gutted this week. I need to remove little stuff like the fuel pump, lines, drain the tank, you get the idea. Then I get to start cutting up the parts car and stripping paint off panels to avoid spending $45/hour for body shop labor.

As Rich says, "onward..."

2.0/6 motor width thread
Ferg
U R Welcome Mike. I learned a lot and had fun helping (mostly watching, and holding the engine lid up, ) rolleyes.gif . Just invite me over when the sawing begins, call me sick, but I wanna see that. ohmy.gif
Ferg.
krk
Mike,

I'll shoot pics of any part of my /6 anytime you like. Just let me know.

Best of luck with your project!

kim.
Gint
Thanks Kim.

Let's start out. Do you have any decent pictures of the underside of the floor pans where they meet up (and are attached) to the longs? This car actually looks like it might have had a floor pan replacement at some point. I can't explain it any better than that without pics (after tomorrow's scheduled showers) when I get the car back up on jackstands.
Gint
Just invite me over when the sawing begins, call me sick, but I wanna see that.

See it? You can DO it. Any plans for next Saturday?
krk
Mike,

Post a pic. (I'm not quite sure from your description what you need) I'll post an equivalent one. (long as I don't have to use my new sawzall first. lol)

kim.
Gint
Won't be able to do it for a few days. The car is outside now, and as soon as I put it on jackstands the code enforcement Betty is gonna be all over me...
krk
"Go Betty!" -- sounds like fun ;-)

The other way to do it is like a graphics program. Eye point and direction. For example: "with the front on jack stands, the camera behind the left front wheel, aimed at center of the engine". or some such thing.

kim.
Brad Roberts
Mike.

I dont want to steal Kims pics... but I have the 6 here with perfect pans and its all clean. I can shoot them tomorrow morning for you. I'll show you how the pans go on the car.

B
krk
Brad,

Steal away dude! I'd have to go outside to shoot mine!

kim.
Gint
I don't think Kim or I will care Brad. I'll take all the help I can get.
Brad Roberts
Mike,

what the shops normally do: they cut away the old ones and leave a 1/2 inch lip all the way around and weld the new ones to that. Then they lay in some seam sealer and it all looks normal when they are done.

B
Gint
That's the description I was trying to come up with. That's about what it looks like.
Brad Roberts
Shoot a pic when you can. I cant imagine a shop from this area doing a bad job on the floorpans. Most of the shops have lots of experience doing the install.

Look for welds on the sides of the center tunnel. The center tunnel sits on the floorpans with a half inch lip running the full length of the tunnel. They weld the floors to that lip. This is normally covered with the tar paper. Spot welds will be clean... mig weld will be obvious.

B
Gint
I hope to get started removing the interior tomorrow afternoon. I'll get pics of what I find.
Gint
You know, while I was out poking at rust and taking pictures before the rain started, I thought I might as well post the pics here. So if you guys don't mind, I think I'll just use this very space to document the progress of this small task over the next few months. It'll save me the trouble of making web pages.

Pics too follow.... MDB2.gif

(I really like the dancin' drivin' banana)

mueba.gif fighting19.gif
Gint
Let's start with a nice "before the moron" pic
Gint
Post moron
Gint
Another view (look at that sticker on the spare)
Gint
This was after I removed the backpad and mat.
seanery
I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS! ohmy.gif

Mike,

Whats that cut/crease 2/3 down on the firewall?
Gint
A little surface rust in this channel. Not entirely certain what it's purpose is.

They all have it though. The donor-mobile has the same seam, but it's covered in seam sealer.
Gint
Again, I'm not really sure what it's for.
Gint
The seats and backpad. These will be stored for future resale. I'm going to use the cherry backpad and seats from the donor car.
Gint
Another spot of knarly surface rust on the firewall.
Gint
See that crack on thje floor pan and the hole in the middle of it?
Gint
That's concrete you can see through the hole.
Gint
I almost forgot to show this pic. The worst of it. That rust continues up the console and under the battery tray.
Gint
Passenger side rear corner. There is actually a hole or two you can't see in the pic.

I'm alomost done with today's pics. Stay tuned...
Gint
Aha! Now we can see some previous shoddy repair.
Gint
Another daylight sighting from interior panels. This is the passenger seat belt mounting hole at the "repaired" section
Gint
Although the rust stops at the cross brace on the passenger side, this is the driver's side in front on the brace. That's a rusty hole that's coming apart.
Gint
Post engine/trans removal. That's the donor-mobile in the background.
Gint
This could be a problem. Right side upper bolt hole. Can you weld these cases?
Gint
Another view.

Last pic for today. More tomorrow.
Bleyseng
Most of the rust looks fixable, a real pain but it can be done. I am sure the tranny can be welded back up.
Nice shop!! Almost as clean as Brad Anders!
Geoff
Gint
Thanks Geoff. It's not that nice though. Close up, it's a pit. Waaay too much crap, and not even close to Brad's.

Wait till I get decent pics tomorrow of the "replacement" panel someone riveted to the side of the engine compartment behind the battery tray all the way down to the long that's rusty, bent and full of holes.

Here's a link to some other crappy pics of rust I had already taken.
Bleyseng
It's still way less rusty than the 70 car I cut up. Saveable but lots of work.
Geoff
jonwatts
Gotta love those rust-free California cars! laugh.gif

Still, I think I'd be more tempted to deck the moron what flattened your quarter panel than anything else.
Gint
Oh I was tempted all right. But the flip side is the quarter was going to take some cutting to do the rust repair anyway, so his insurance company is footing a portion of the bill.
Brad Roberts
It appears that we FUCKED UP when we told you to buy that car. Dean Vanney knows these cars forwards and backwards and should have known this thing had cancer...bad.

I feel bad.

On the flip side.... the silver six you and Brant went and looked at for my friend Doug.... somebody did some rust repair in the right side frame rail and placed a flat piece if steel over the repairs that sits flush with the engine shelf... NICE.

I'm now pissed OFF.

B
Gint
Didn't mean to piss you off Brad. I'll live though. I knew the car had rust. Not blaming anybody else.

I didn't see that piece you're talking about on Doug's car. But then I never lifted the car to get my head that far underneath. Is it under the engine shelf?
jonwatts
Eh, I think Ginter was due for a nice year-long project. biggrin.gif

Keep the pictures coming, please. I want to see how some of that deep rust is taken care of.
Gint
Eh, I think Ginter was due for a nice year-long project.  

Keep the pictures coming, please. I want to see how some of that deep rust is taken care of.

Why? Multiple projects for months at a time in some cases aren't enough? When this car is done, I'm going back to stuff like extending my deck and finishing my garage. I'm swearin off cars for a while.

I'll get pics, but the body shop is an hour across town, so there will be gaps.
Lawrence
Damn, Mike.

I looked at your pictures. That's very discouraging.

I recommend that you call Mayeur and get a set of his longitudinal stiffening kits. Install the braces on both sides to keep the car even.

Sorry,
Rusty
Gint
Thanks Lawrence. Dunno about any chassis (or just long) stiffening kits at this point. I have a month of stripping this car and the donor to look forward to before I can even get to that point.
Brad Roberts
No need for lift to see this. Its directly below where the battery tray should be. Nicely concealed with the trunk paint. I'll shoot some pics today. Busy answering the friggin phone all day yesterday.

B
Gint
I was just instructed by someone at SSI to call you on your cell phone and NOT the company phone. Don't you own the joint?
silver six
Yeah, the guy who answers the phone at SSI is not that friendly. In need of a girlfriend maybe.

So Brad and Ginter,

I think you guys did a great job checking out the silver 6 in Colorado for me. The only rust I can find is superficial and not structural. The brakes kick ass, the body panes are fairly straight (discribed like Ginter said and in good shape for a 33 year old car), the cooling system is more than sufficient (it hardly ever leaks oil) and the drive train is in excellent shape. The engine is a piece of art, and the intake and exhaust makes the coolest sounds I've ever heard a car make. It's geared high, but that's only because it's stock. And at least partially due to the high gearing, I've already kicked the shit out of a vet one night on the 280 without ever shifting out of 5th. Imagine 70 mph (already at 4000 rpm) to 120 mph pushing you hard in to the back of the seat. So I'm really happy with the car and I think you guys deserve props.

To top it off I hardly knew you guys and you were willing to do all this legwork for free. That's an amazing testiment to the 914 community and especially the group of people here on 914club.

As far as the right side long, we don't know at this time that there's any structural rust under the metal engine shelf plate and the PO specifically said he repaired that area. I can detect no sag and my superficial inspection found no rust. So there's no need at this time to jump to conclusions. If there's no significant structural rust (and there probably isn't) then its no harm no foul.

Douglas
Brad Roberts
We get hammered daily 20-30 times (no joke) with Kaiser Permante calls since they changed their number.

This has gone on for 9 months now... you would be a little pissy trying to answer the phone all day also.

This place is big... so trying to answer the phone every day 60 some odd times between 2 people gets real OLD when half of them are not for us. Just call my cell.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.