Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RIMCO
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Having heard good things about Rimco I tried them out. Let me detail my experience with them thus far. I'll try not to dump on ya. Appx 2 mo's ago I delivered my engine to them. Their employee Todd managed to piss me off almost immediately. Like he was doing me a favor! Enough. My last of 6 calls to Todd ended with him telling me that they would call me when it was finished. That was 2 weeks ago. Fuck Todd, I'm calling them. When I asked for Todd the receptionist told me that last Friday was his last day but that I could speak with Patrick. So I get Patrick on the line and explain myself. Nice guy, seemed concerned and said he would go in the "back" to find out what was going on and that he would call me right back. I'm pretty sure that 45 min's is not right back, so I called back. I ask the receptionist if it usually takes this much effort to deal with Rimco and went on about my difficulties in dealing with them, thus far.. After I ceased to whine, she said Dennis was going to the "back" to see if they could get it finished this afternoon! I asked if Dennis were a person of authority as I felt I might want to strangle the next person to give me lip service. I asked that Dennis call me back today and she said that she would give him the message. Guess what? bs.gif Three hours later (1530hr) and no call back. I was shocked. dry.gif I called them back. This time one of the guys in the back answers the phone and is about as helpful as someone in the "back" could be. He did tell me that Dennis is the owner, though! I wonder if this communication problem is a trickle down from the top? confused24.gif So it looks like I'll be back on the phone with Rimco in the morning, chasing my tail again. I feel like the sheep in this emoto sheeplove.gif
I don't know if this is business as usual with them or not but I can tell you this. I have been in business in the service sector since 1979 and have found that you never get a second chance to make a first impression. This isn't my first rodeo or my first trip to a machine shop. It was my first time into a type 4, though. And now that I know what I know you can bet that next time I'll just find a good local machinist and tell him what I want done. Live and learn.
Cap'n Krusty
Experiences such as this are why I use Engine Machine Service in Westchester/Inglewood. Good service, reasonable prices, and excellent work. You talk only to an owner/partner when you call, and they ALWAYS either know what's going on, or they'll find out while you wait. (310) 641-7019.

The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
Okay, just keep this in mind.
Its early spring.
Rimco is a shop known for years by nearly everyone with some old VW.
Everyone with an old car is scrambling to get it on the road right now.
Lots of people, desperate to be on the road, but who did not plan ahead and send in their stuff during the cold months of December and January are calling and demanding to get placed to the front of the line.

All the shops that cater to guys with old cars are going to be slammed between the months of March and May. That just life and old cars.

If you want fast, hit the shops during their slow times (late summer, dead of winter), not when they are slammed. You will be happier, the shop will be happier, and you might even get a better product as the shop won't be as rushed to get it out the door.

EDIT - I misread your post. I saw two weeks and not 2 months. Sorry.

Zach
silver74insocal
"cold months" lol-2.gif have you been to orange county CA?

that really sucks Kent, i have been meaning to call and see how things were goin but my hands are pretty darn full right now. this wouldnt be the first time i have heard of this regarding rimco, but i dont have any personal experience

if it were me i would calmly (cant stress that part enough) show up there tomorrow morning when they open and see WTF.gif is goin on. if need be, take your stromberg.gif , thank them for wasting 2 months of your life and drive it over to Crusty's friends in the hood.
i seem to remember hearing about a few other places a little closer to us and maybe some helpful, more knowledgable socal'ers will chime in here.

call me if i can help in anyway dude...DAve
76-914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 13 2011, 05:41 PM) *

Experiences such as this are why I use Engine Machine Service in Westchester/Inglewood. Good service, reasonable prices, and excellent work. You talk only to an owner/partner when you call, and they ALWAYS either know what's going on, or they'll find out while you wait. (310) 641-7019.

The Cap'n

Well there you go. Thx Cap'n. See how long it took to get a new machinist!

QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Apr 13 2011, 06:15 PM) *

"cold months" lol-2.gif have you been to orange county CA?

that really sucks Kent, i have been meaning to call and see how things were goin but my hands are pretty darn full right now. this wouldnt be the first time i have heard of this regarding rimco, but i dont have any personal experience

if it were me i would calmly (cant stress that part enough) show up there tomorrow morning when they open and see WTF.gif is goin on. if need be, take your stromberg.gif , thank them for wasting 2 months of your life and drive it over to Crusty's friends in the hood.
i seem to remember hearing about a few other places a little closer to us and maybe some helpful, more knowledgable socal'ers will chime in here.

call me if i can help in anyway dude...DAve

I'll get you to swing by Sean's when you return to work, if you will.
Elliot Cannon
I don't care how busy you might be, there is absolutely NO excuse for not calling a customer back in a timely manner. It takes about 30 seconds to make a quick phone call. To not do so exhibits a lack of proffesionalism and leadership. Looks like RIMCO lost one customer. How many more will follow based on this thread?
TorqueJunkie
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 14 2011, 01:10 AM) *

I don't care how busy you might be, there is absolutely NO excuse for not calling a customer back in a timely manner. It takes about 30 seconds to make a quick phone call. To not do so exhibits a lack of proffesionalism and leadership. Looks like RIMCO lost one customer. How many more will follow based on this thread?

I took my 2.0l crank to them about 10 years ago. Was perfect crank and just wanted it balanced and polished. Got it back and on inspection back home realized it was a cut crank that was bent.... Never went back. I lived in Ohio so it was not an easy thing to go an address with them. They were not at all helpful after the fact. There are many other good shops to use. Have since found good ones that I use.
silver74insocal
icon_bump.gif for my buddy if anybody can recommend a shop in the area beer3.gif
Jake Raby
I've known Todd for almost 20 years... From living at MCAS Tustin as a Marine and being 2 miles away from Rimco, to being 2,350 miles away today I never have had direct issues with RIMCO.

I do know that they recently moved, added employees and etc so I am sure their has been a shake up that may have caused this. I hear horror stories about them, but have never experienced one myself and they machined three hundred engine cases for me from 1994-1998 alone.

I just haven't had an issue, maybe I am really lucky? Today they don;t do much at all for us, just because we had to become self sufficient to get our jobs done here more swiftly. Hate to hear that you've had an issue.
This is very interesting... being new to the type 4 area I asked one of my friends that a Porsche Tec on where to have the 2.0 case that he gave cleaned and checked. He mentioned that some guys he worked with suggested this outfit. I dropped off my case and a week later I received a call from saying the case need a line bore ( how far off I do not know) and that the rear thrust bearing needed to be repaired ?? Anyway I spent the $ and upon picking up the motor. I noticed a few things ..1) case was never hot tanked ( Initially cleaned it up to handle ) 2) the rear thrust bearing area - looked like a 15 year welded it up and the surface was finished off in grade 200 sand paper...ya never never going back.. I wanted to post this experience - but held back... I SHOULD have driven the 400 miles and gone to Ollies ...my .02 cents
Socalandy
used them for my 2.0 with no issues but they recently moved their shop and maybe thats slowing things down some? still no reason for the lack of call backs and run around!!!! Sorry Dude
sean_v8_914
I liked what Adrian in Vista/ Oceanside has done for me. not just a machinist, he builds engines also
Tom_T
Krusty gave you a shop lead, and another -

The guy I got my 74 2L parts shell from uses Der Buggy in Garden Grove for his 2L T4 racers. This is his current VARA racer, a 71 with the 74's 2L transplanted (note Der Buggy sticker):

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif

76-914
QUOTE(396 @ Apr 14 2011, 07:28 AM) *

This is very interesting... being new to the type 4 area I asked one of my friends that a Porsche Tec on where to have the 2.0 case that he gave cleaned and checked. He mentioned that some guys he worked with suggested this outfit. I dropped off my case and a week later I received a call from saying the case need a line bore ( how far off I do not know) and that the rear thrust bearing needed to be repaired ?? Anyway I spent the $ and upon picking up the motor. I noticed a few things ..1) case was never hot tanked ( Initially cleaned it up to handle ) 2) the rear thrust bearing area - looked like a 15 year welded it up and the surface was finished off in grade 200 sand paper...ya never never going back.. I wanted to post this experience - but held back... I SHOULD have driven the 400 miles and gone to Ollies ...my .02 cents

You mean like this: ar15.gif Call me Old Fashioned but If I drop a G note I don't expect shit coming back looking like this. bs.gif Granted, it's only cosmetic but where is the professionalism here?The current owner is about 40 so I doubt he is the original owner. Their sign reads Hidebrant Machine. My gut tells me that Todd bailed for a reason! shades.gif I wouldn't piss on their place if it was on fire. So for the next few years I will be posting my experience w/ RIMCO anytime I see a post re: machinists or mch shops.
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 15 2011, 07:08 PM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Apr 14 2011, 07:28 AM) *

You mean like this: ar15.gif Call me Old Fashioned but If I drop a G note I don't expect shit coming back looking like this. bs.gif Granted, it's only cosmetic but where is the professionalism here?The current owner is about 40 so I doubt he is the original owner. Their sign reads Hidebrant Machine. My gut tells me that Todd bailed for a reason! shades.gif I wouldn't piss on their place if it was on fire. So for the next few years I will be posting my experience w/ RIMCO anytime I see a post re: machinists or mch shops.
Click to view attachment
\
\
ya that's how mine looked- after it was supposedly 'hot tanked' before the machine work.
I asked Todd about it when I pick it up.. upon getting it home and splitting the case -and seeing all the old oil collected in the bottom.. i called Todd and gave him a few choice words.. He said, you can drive back down and we can put it in thew washer ...because some 'might' have forgotten ..my question was - don't they need to do this -BEFORE they machine the case???
silver74insocal
barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif
oh but wait..its cuz you waited til spring time...right?

seriously that sucks Kent, was hoping to hear a happy ending after our phone conversation.

i hate to be the one to say it, but if they didnt hot tank it, what else didnt they do? confused24.gif i wonder how much a hot tank and inspection would cost from another shop sad.gif good luck bud
Cap'n Krusty
If you hot tank an aluminum case, there's a good chance you won't recognize the thing that comes out of the tank. The Cap'n
silver74insocal
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 15 2011, 11:16 PM) *

If you hot tank an aluminum case, there's a good chance you won't recognize the thing that comes out of the tank. The Cap'n

please elaborate oh crustacious one pray.gif
Dave_Darling
The solution they use in a typical old-fashioned "hot tank" eats aluminum. Usually the Al parts are "cold-tanked".

--DD
SLITS
In CA, I thought that "hot tanks" were outlawed. Engine builders we sell to use an oven and bake the material off.

Washers currently in use are hot water and soap ... environmentally "safe".
PeeGreen 914
Using a Cuda parts washer would do enough to get that grime off of there. I can't understand why a machine shop would leave the engine looking like that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.