Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backdated Bumpers on a 1975
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914guy
Hello All~
I have begun the process of backdating the bumpers on my 1975 914. I have a set of prestine chrome bumpers, valance, and top pads. I have started to drill out the welds for the 'lip' on the top and sides of the front and rear, and I removed the bumper shocks.

Now all I need is to figure out what hardware I need to buy? Has anyone ever done this? Any tips or tricks I should try?

Thanks,
~Eric
Mueller
Using studs instead of the bolts makes it easier IMHO.

Do you have the rubber dogbones ?
Bleyseng
yes, I just did the swap a few weeks ago. In the front, after you remove the piece that holds the old front lip on, glue the seal in place. In the front, look inside the wheel well to see where to drill for the bumper bolts. Be sure to use the dog bones as they space out the bumper to the correct location. In the back I just measured to drill for the bolts. See my avatar for a pic.
Geoff MDB2.gif
Aaron Cox
boldblue.gif HOORAY! another late model teener is shedding it's hideous bumpers!!! mueba.gif MDB2.gif
boxstr
I would not glue any of the rubber for the trunk ion place. It collects and holds H20. Remove and clean the seal and the area that holds the seal, and then wax the area so that waters runs off and out.
You need the dogbones front and rear to act as a guide for the holes you need to drill for the bumpers. Also when you drill the holes make them a touch larger then the bolts that will be going through them, you need a little extra.
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP 914
Lawrence
Using studs instead of the bolts makes it easier IMHO.

So, Mike, you bolt it all together, and then tack-weld the bolts into place (to become studs)?

Curious,
-Rusty
Bleyseng
Put the studs on the bumper so you can shove it on the car then tighten it without it falling off.
Geoff MDB2.gif
Mueller
Yep, just like Geoff said...
914guy
Wow, thanks for all of the help guys! biggrin.gif I am going to pickup the dogbones at the Hershey swap meet this year. I removed the lip along the top of the front end of the car, however I noticed that there were some smaller ones on both sides of the front and back, do I want to remove those too?

Thanks,
~Eric
Lawrence
Well, I guess I had it backwards. Very interesting. Putting some spot welds under the brackets shouldn't be that tough. smile.gif
JWest
914guy, yes, you need to remove the metal lips along the side, also.
Mike D.
I think with all the welding talk Lawrence is a little weld happy right now. tongue.gif

I think the Idea with the studs is that you SCREW one end into the bumper (there is already a theded nut on the other side, no welding necessary). hold it up to the car and put a nut on the other side.

-Mike D.
Brad Roberts
Wow.

I'm really cheap. I wrap tape around them to hold them in place and thread the bolt thru. You guy's make life too difficult.

B
Lawrence
Mike might be on to something there.

I really do like welding, and miss doing it. It's a great feeling to create something out of just scrap metal.

I remember welding the fender on the /6. Wow, I felt like I was on top of the world!

-Rusty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.