Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's been a while....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
72Signal914
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted on here but there is a good possiblity that the 914 will be tagged and titled this summer...I actually got good grades so my parents are considering it since I can't afford everything myself.

So, question...I live in Sarasota now and I know that there are a bunch of car repair places around but the teener hasn't been run in a while and I have no clue what could be worng and i want to take it to a reputable repair shop. I didn't renew my PCA membership so I don't get the regional newsletter and I know it would have ads for repair shops. So if anyone knows of a good shop in the Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice area post it on here....I might see if I can get the damn battery out so I can put a new one in a run it.
Rusty
Welcome back... and congrats on the grades! clap56.gif

Can you refresh us about the car? 72 1.7. Carbs or FI?

How long has it been sitting? How much fuel is in the tank?

We can probably talk you through any repairs you might need. Take your battery in and have it tested/charged (most places do it for free). Get a new one if you need it.

Glad to have you back!

-Rusty smoke.gif
McMark
LB, aren't you supposed to recommend an Optima or Orbital if he's going to have to get a new battery? NO RUST!
Rusty
I probably should... but let's get his car running first.

If he can barely cover registration on a 30 year old car, 90 bucks for an Optima is gonna bite him in the ass.

-Rusty smoke.gif
72Signal914
Sorry its 72 2.0L FI, uncle rebuilt it before I got it, just as a reminder

I got it out in the driveway today and after about 8 months of sitting or more I got it fired up and was running fine. Stayed at idle very well..a few coughs when first starting up but after a couple times shutting it off and turning it on it fired up with no hesitation. I must say I was wuite suprised as it wasn't blowing smoke or burning anything unusual.

It did have a minor fuel leak after the first startup but I tightened the clamp and that was fixed...all it needs is a new battery (used the one from my car to start it), some more gas and air in the tires and it'll be ready to go. I will take it to get a standard tune up and oil change just becasue it had been sitting but so far so good.

The only thing that I need to have fixed is my horn...when I used to drive it, one day it got posessed and I had to cut the wires, I know the connection was bad but don't know where, maybe in the steering column. That should be fun to replace but other than that, a new radio and speakers.

What's this Optima you are talking about???

I've been hooked on our new jet ski and trying to figure out stuff in that engine bay and now switching back over to my car is going to be a real treat.
McMark
http://www.optimabatteries.com/

It's a leak proof battery. So you don't rust your car out with battery acid, the number one killer of 914s.

NAPA/Exide has a version called an Orbital.
72Signal914
I know battery acid is a terrible for our cars, just didn't know what it was
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.