Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 2.0 Stalls When Warm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jupiter914
I have a 1976 914 2.0 with fuel injection. The car was just shipped to me from Northern California and I have had it about a week. After about 15 to 20 minutes of driving when the car gets warm the throttle become non-responsive and it stalls like it's out of gas. The car has to cool for an hour or so then starts right up again. This is a very repeatable situation. Always starts when cool...stalls with warm and will not start for an hour or so. Not sure where to begin.

Thank you,

Greg
TheCabinetmaker
Possible head temp sensor is malfunctioning.
TheCabinetmaker
BTW, Welcome to the world.
Jupiter914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 14 2011, 09:07 PM) *

Thank you very much...the temp sensor sounds like a great place to start. I will tackle that in a couple of weeks and keep you posted.

Greg
914itis
QUOTE(Jupiter914 @ Apr 14 2011, 09:43 PM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 14 2011, 09:07 PM) *

Thank you very much...the temp sensor sounds like a great place to start. I will tackle that in a couple of weeks and keep you posted.

Greg

couples of weeks? we can't wait for that long. get to work! didn't you read the world's member agreement? welcome.png
TheCabinetmaker
You'll need an ohm meter to test it. Takes about one minute, so don't make paul mad. Get to work!!!!!LOL
Tom
welcome.png
Had a similar problem with mine and got an answer from Paul. You may want to read up on this site of his:
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DjetParts.htm

Yours sounds a bit different in that it stalls when running. Also check the connections out for good tight/clean connections. I had a thread on here about my problem and I looked for it, but am unable to find it. I know it is here as I have sent it to others having similar problems, so if your search skills are better than mine, you can find it. D-jet,hard to start when hot.
Tom
76-914
Can't he just ground out the temp sensor next time it stalls to do a quick check. confused24.gif
Jeffs9146
agree.gif

CHTS!!!

(Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor) beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png assimilate.gif
NJ914Guy
Do you have an electronic ignition module in your distributor? Mine was going bad when hot and stalled and idled/ran like crap.
Bleyseng
I would smell the tailpipe when it stall out. Does it smell rich or unburned gas? You might have a little more problem than just the CHT. When cold the CHT richens the AFR until operating temp is reached (10min or so). So you drive around fine on this richer mix until it shuts off and then you stall out. Could be your regular AFR is too lean.
It also could be a electrical problem that once the engine is hot it stalls out the engine.
First smell the exhaust when it happens.
markb
welcome.png
PBC914
QUOTE(markb @ Apr 15 2011, 12:06 PM) *

welcome.png

I had a 76 for 10 years. The car would not start if the cylinder head temperature sensor was not connected-I doubt that's the problem as your car is starting.
I had the same issue you did, and found fault with the distributor breaker plate trigger points. They were almost touching constantly when heated, and my engine would shut down.
Replaced and adjusted this part, problem solved.

Good luck,
Paul
AZ914
QUOTE(PBC914 @ Apr 15 2011, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Apr 15 2011, 12:06 PM) *

welcome.png

I had a 76 for 10 years. The car would not start if the cylinder head temperature sensor was not connected-I doubt that's the problem as your car is starting.
I had the same issue you did, and found fault with the distributor breaker plate trigger points. They were almost touching constantly when heated, and my engine would shut down.
Replaced and adjusted this part, problem solved.

Good luck,
Paul

agree.gif
Before I went electronic.. with an open throttle, it ran fine, but once warm, if I was stopped at a light, sometimes it would stall, and not re-start (easily).. My trigger points collapsed. If I was on the gas, no problem. Just something else to check.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.