Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ok here is an e-bay bargin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Levi
Gee I didn't know 74 2.0L cars in this condition where going for $10K.. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2478033620&rd=1
MattR
Oh, even better, it was driven by teenage girls to school.

Maybe I could see if it was babied from the original owner and all stock they shouldnt feel guilty for setting their buy it now price for 10 grand, but some people need a reality check. For that much you can buy a nice -6.
Levi
QUOTE(MattR @ May 9 2004, 05:30 PM)
For that much you can buy a nice -6.

I was thinking the same thing..

There where other things that alerted me like the "rust bubbles"
seanery
it said it was from Atlanta, what do you think about it coming from AA? I bet it did and he paid too much and now thinks its worth that.
anthony
Please forward the long list of nice sixes you know for sale at $10k.
Porsche Rescue
Anthony, please send a list of the ones you don't buy to me.
Chris H.
QUOTE(MattR @ May 9 2004, 07:30 PM)
Oh, even better, it was driven by teenage girls to school.

Maybe I could see if it was babied from the original owner and all stock they shouldnt feel guilty for setting their buy it now price for 10 grand, but some people need a reality check.  For that much you can buy a nice -6.

Don't mean to pile on here, but driven to school by high school girls ALL YEAR ROUND. That means it's had a few dozen nice salt baths over the winters. Merrillville is very close to the Chicago area for those unfamiliar with the area.
72Signal914
There's some deusch also that's trying to sell his 73 2.0 on the DuPont registry site for about $8,900. These people must be smoking some good stuff

I really like that interior though but the green has to go
MattR
I met a 914 owner through an ebay auction, and when I picked my parts up he had a nice 6 he picked up for 11. He had some stuff since, like paint, but from what I understood its a nice -6. He might have gotten a great deal, but thats what I was judging my 10 grand figure off of. Im not trying to be confrontational, there are a lot more people in here that know a LOT more about the value of a -6, but I wasnt pulling that number out of my ass.
Levi
QUOTE(anthony @ May 9 2004, 06:35 PM)

Your being way to literal for me.... rolleyes.gif
415PB
Me too smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
Hey Merrillville is only 15 min from me. I emailed the seller to see if I could come check it out. If i can I will post some pics and such.

- Garold
Levi
QUOTE(itsa914 @ May 10 2004, 07:45 AM)
Hey Merrillville is only 15 min from me. I emailed the seller to see if I could come check it out. If i can I will post some pics and such.

- Garold

Cool, maybe you can get an idea how he came up with the value he put on it.
GaroldShaffer
With cost of gas going up and with mileage + the fun factor of these cars, would make them worth at least $10K wink.gif

- Garold

PS I will get the story from him
Chris H.
Cool Garold! Who knows, maybe it's decent.

Be sure to check this:

"7 rust spots fixed on original redo. 2 spots in the pan area, not on floor boards. Have 2 areas for repair of rust coming back, under sail panel on passenger side, and a small area behind the drivers front tire fenderwell."

Bring a "Rouser Special" with you (Stick for poking at rusty areas). biggrin.gif
Levi
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ May 10 2004, 09:06 AM)
My friend here just sold his 73 2.0 for $8500.00.

I don't understand why any 914 owner would not want our cars to increase in value.

Martin..Thanks for your input..you have some very valid points... beerchug.gif

If I had the spare cash I'd probably pay $8500. or $10000. for a mint car...but if you read the condition of this car you soon wonder if the rust is coming back in 2 places ..well how long before it comes back in all...it was driven year round...bla..bla..bla...
I have been restoring cars and tractors for 25+ years and I can tell you without a doubt its easy to get $10,000. into a $7,000. car or Tractor
because a guy might put $10,000. in a car sure does't make it worth that much in the market and just because you advertise it for $10,000. doesn't mean anyone will pay that. value is relative to many things including but not limited to the shine of the paint laugh.gif

that said I think we all want the value of our car to increase.....

Just my .02... beerchug.gif
GaroldShaffer
Martin I agree with you. I paid more than most would have a for solid car that needs cosmetics (sp) done to it. I do have a hard time thinking any car in our area of the midwest (aka lb of road salt per foot of road, capital) is worth $10k after reading

My girls drove this as a daily driver to school for 5 years
and
Painted 4 years ago, some blisters starting to form, now we know what lasted and needs to be done for the final time.
and lastly
Had 7 rust spots fixed on original redo. 2 spots in the pan area, not on floor boards. Have 2 areas for repair of rust coming back, under sail panel on passenger side, and a small area behind the drivers front tire fenderwell. Paint still on the areas, but need attending to

This means to me at best $5k - $6K tops. If I get a chance to inspect it I will. I will take pics and bring my rust detector biggrin.gif

I'm the last one that should be saying anything about others 914s, but a $10k buy me now blink.gif

- Garold
Levi
QUOTE(Levi @ May 9 2004, 04:20 PM)
Gee I didn't know 74 2.0L cars in this condition where going for $10K.. laugh.gif  :lol:  :lol:

Everbody did notice the laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif In my 1st post I hope, to clarify I was joking around not necessarily making fun of the car....although....LOL.....
anthony
My friend here just sold his 73 2.0 for $8500.00. The cars are becoming hard to find in good shape, and I don't understand why any 914 owner would not want our cars to increase in value.

I'd rather they not go up so I can keep buying nice ones for what I'd call bargain prices. Less than $10k for a mint condition 914 is an awesome deal for a fun to drive classic car.

It's good to see people stick to thier guns on the amount asked. If the car is not worth it in your eyes, move on.

That's fine but there is market reality. If you really need to sell a car you are not going to get what you put into it. That's a sad fact of reality. Also a lot of what I see "put into" cars is mostly maintenance or taking care of deferred maintenance. If you spend $1500 rebuilding your tranny or $4000 rebuilding your engine, it doesn't raise the value much at all. To me that is taking care of wear items - maintenance. To me spending $500-$1000/year keeping these cars going is just the cost of ownership.
Chris H.
///Temporary thread hijack///

Anthony, did you see the black '73 on e-bay with 20K on it? I remember you were looking for a black one...

///Hijack over///
Levi
QUOTE(anthony @ May 10 2004, 10:50 AM)
I'd rather they not go up so I can keep buying nice ones for what I'd call bargain prices. Less than $10k for a mint condition 914 is an awesome deal for a fun to drive classic car.

That's fine but there is market reality. If you really need to sell a car you are not going to get what you put into it. That's a sad fact of reality. Also a lot of what I see "put into" cars is mostly maintenance or taking care of deferred maintenance. If you spend $1500 rebuilding your tranny or $4000 rebuilding your engine, it doesn't raise the value much at all. To me that is taking care of wear items - maintenance. To me spending $500-$1000/year keeping these cars going is just the cost of ownership.

agree.gif
Well put.. beerchug.gif
MattR
Well, this might be to pacify the wife. I see it all the time at hot rod shows. Guys come with their hotrods and put a huge price tag on their car so they can say they tried to sell it. And, if anyone ever game them that money, they would sell it. Ive seen cars with the same for sale sign for 4+ years.
anthony
I did see the black one. It's tough that it's 3000 miles away. Being that I'll never find a original black six in nice condition, that would be a great start on a conversion.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ May 10 2004, 09:06 AM)
. The cars are becoming hard to find in good shape, and I don't understand why any 914 owner would not want our cars to increase in value.

agree.gif

everyone here should hope he get's his buy it now price. you can't tell me you would be upset if your neighbor sold his $500k house for $1 mil, would you? aren't inflated prices on these cars good for all of us??????
seanery
yes they are as long as we're owners, not buyers.
Pnambic
Increasing prices are only good for us if we intend to sell. And as I learned as a kid trading basketball cards, it doesn't matter what the Becket (pricing book) says; the things are only worth what you can get someone to pay for it. Personally, I don't intend on selling my 914 any time soon.

If the values go up, I would imagine the prices for replacement parts go up too and I can't see how that would help me.

If the values go up, the cost to insure them would also go up. Again, not something I desire.

So no, I don't really see why I would want the value of 914's to go up.
confused24.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Pnambic @ May 10 2004, 01:29 PM)

If the values go up, I would imagine the prices for replacement parts go up too and I can't see how that would help me.

If the values go up, the cost to insure them would also go up. Again, not something I desire.

confused24.gif

so you're a "glass is half empty" kind of guy.......
MattR
Right now www.manheimgold.com rates a 73 2.0 (what i have) for $6,000 in good, $9,000 in excellent and 11,000 for show. Similarly, a '70 -6 is 12,500 in good, 16,000 in excellent, and 20,000 in show. I have no idea how accurate this place is, but in some of the other models Ive seen (ie 65 ford mustang, 78 fiat 124) they seem kinda steep. But if you cut those prices in half, you have a good 2 liter -4 going for 3 grand. That seems more like reality.

It seems to me its so difficult to determine the value of the car. Its all about what the buyer wants. For instance, if I were to drop a non stock engine, it will be less valuable to some people because it isnt original, but more valuable to others because its more powerful.
seanery
I think a GOOD 2.0 for 3 grand is a thing of the past...way past.
MattR
Well, a good for manheimgold.com is different then a good as I would think of it. Remember they have Poor, Good, Excellent, and Show ratings. I think Good means its running, not falling apart, older paint. Something excellent would be new paint, nothing needing immediate repair, and show would be basically everything new. I honestly dont know how I would rate my 914. I bought mine with an engine that needed work, had mediocre paint, good interior, and was pretty rust free (good longs and new battery tray) for 1200.
Levi
QUOTE(glstrojan @ May 10 2004, 12:40 PM)

everyone here should hope he get's his buy it now price.

Not for a single second do I hope he gets 10k for it ..period

Unless a guy has more money then brains would he want a car that needs rust repair and paint work to go for that kind of money...period....

beerchug.gif
jimtab
QUOTE(anthony @ May 9 2004, 06:35 PM)

Send me a copy too, even if they're just so-so at 10,000/ LOL
415PB
QUOTE(Levi @ May 10 2004, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE(glstrojan @ May 10 2004, 12:40 PM)

everyone here should hope he get's his buy it now price.

Not for a single second do I hope he gets 10k for it ..period

Unless a guy has more money then brains would he want a car that needs rust repair and paint work to go for that kind of money...period....

beerchug.gif

agree.gif I would rather put 10 grand into my own teener.....
Chris H.
Yup, I agree. The rust repairs/issues are what keeps the value down on that car. There are some 914/4's that are worth $10k+ IMHO, but they are original, documented, never been popped, never rusty, or EXCELLENT restos.

Hey how about that black '73 I mentioned earlier. $8100 already! For a 1.7!
Black '73

Hey, at least the seller of the green car was honest about the car's rust repair history, right? That's a good thing.
Levi
[quote=415PB,May 10 2004, 05:21 PM] beerchug.gif [/QUOTE]
agree.gif I would rather put 10 grand into my own teener..... [/quote]
You mean you don't have 10K in it...what a hunk...LOL... laugh.gif laugh.gif beerchug.gif

I bought my 3 914's because I love these cars,they are a kick to drive and because they where inexpensive..at least to buy.. laugh.gif
I'd much rather spend 10K on my Chevelle wink.gif
brant
I want Matt's rust free car that needs motor work for 1200....

anybody got one of those to sell?

b
MattR
Hey, there's no such thing as a rust free 914 laugh.gif

I think I got a pretty good deal. An engine rebuild, some body work (the paint is pretty good, a few small spots and some buffing), and I have a nice 2l. Im very happy with my find. I was working out the numbers, and Im still going to come out at like 6 grand total with engine, suspension (5 lug), and body done, which is more then I would ever get for it.

But oh well, you cant build a car for the re sale price.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 10 2004, 05:40 PM)

Hey how about that black '73 I mentioned earlier. $8100 already! For a 1.7!
Black '73

i would have paid $10k for that black one. then i would've sold the tool kit for $8k lol2.gif
SpecialK
I don't know if I want to know how much I've got wrapped up in mine, and it's not even running. headbang.gif
I've kept all of the receipts from the 'many' parts I've purchased over the years, and someday when I'm feeling way too good about life, I'll set down and do the math. sad.gif
TROJANMAN
smile.gif
MattR
I think of it as a hobby, not an investment. Some people spend thousands on golf clubs, or home entertainment, or clothes. I am a simple person with simple wants, which include my school and my car. I dont mind dropping a few grand into something that I enjoy so much.

But I know of the feeling. My brother was the same way when he went to tally up the reciepts from his 65 mustang. He invested a lot. Its really cherry, but its not that nice... He's never going to see that money again sad.gif.
Howard
I would rather put 10 grand into my own teener.....

laugh.gif

Let's try a poll for how much each member has in his car. Add you time at minimum wage....

MattR is right on. This is therapy, not an investment.
MattR
So far, for me, I have like 1200 for initial price. About a thousand in engine parts. 300 in suspension and brakes. Oh yeah, and its still on blocks ohmy.gif

Overall, I think I'd be lucky if I put in 5-6 grand for the car I want.

My time? Yikes. Well Ive spent about 3 weekends solid of not leaving my garage and probably another 3 of casual work since I got my car in late Feb. In total maybe a hundred hours? Times 7 bucks = a small fraction of time Im going to spend on my car smile.gif
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Howard @ May 10 2004, 09:17 PM)
MattR is right on. This is therapy, not an investment.

agree.gif
Pnambic
QUOTE(glstrojan @ May 10 2004, 05:04 PM)
QUOTE(Pnambic @ May 10 2004, 01:29 PM)

If the values go up, the cost to insure them would also go up.  Again, not something I desire.

confused24.gif

so you're a "glass is half empty" kind of guy.......

Nah, more a "wallet is mostly empty" kinda guy. wink.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(Howard @ May 10 2004, 11:17 PM)

Let's try a poll for how much each member has in his car. Add you time at minimum wage....

Please don't make me do that Howard. wacko.gif
majkos
agree.gif I've had my car for over 18 yrs! Lord's know how many hours I've could possibly put into her! unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.