Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What am I missing Here?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warrenoliver
So when I order the Oil Sump Screen Gasket set from Pelican, I get two large fiber gaskets and one crush washer. When I look at the oil sump plate, it looks like it needs only one large gasket and the crush washer for the bolt. Why do I need two fiber gaskets? confused24.gif
If I change the oil by removing the drain plug and I remove the screen, I need two crush washers and still only one fiber gasket.
WTF.gif What am I missing?

Warrenoliver

Bartlett 914
The drain plug washer is a separate part not included in the sump gasket kit. The screen gets sandwiched between the 2 large fiber gaskets. Pay attention to the torque on the center bolt. Do not over torque.

QUOTE(warrenoliver @ Apr 15 2011, 09:07 AM) *

So when I order the Oil Sump Screen Gasket set from Pelican, I get two large fiber gaskets and one crush washer. When I look at the oil sump plate, it looks like it needs only one large gasket and the crush washer for the bolt. Why do I need two fiber gaskets? confused24.gif
If I change the oil by removing the drain plug and I remove the screen, I need two crush washers and still only one fiber gasket.
WTF.gif What am I missing?

Warrenoliver

warrenoliver
[quote name='Bartlett 914' date='Apr 15 2011, 09:17 AM' post='1460190']
The drain plug washer is a separate part not included in the sump gasket kit. The screen gets sandwiched between the 2 large fiber gaskets. Pay attention to the torque on the center bolt. Do not over torque.

Mark,

Thanks for the info. I didn't take the screen off the plate but now that makes sense. I already knew about the torque on the center bolt but thanks for the reminder.
I thought the drain plug and the bolt for the sump plate were the same size. My drain plug is larger but I think that is because it looks like some DAPO stripped the plug and put in some type of thread repair like Heli-coil or Timesert. I get a slight leak from it but I am gonna try a neoprene washer instead of the copper washer that is on it.

Warrenoliver
rick 918-S
[quote name='warrenoliver' date='Apr 15 2011, 10:59 AM' post='1460234']

Mark,

Thanks for the info. I didn't take the screen off the plate but now that makes sense. I already knew about the torque on the center bolt but thanks for the reminder.
I thought the drain plug and the bolt for the sump plate were the same size. My drain plug is larger but I think that is because it looks like some DAPO stripped the plug and put in some type of thread repair like Heli-coil or Timesert. I get a slight leak from it but I am gonna try a neoprene washer instead of the copper washer that is on it.

Warrenoliver
[/quote]

Hi Warren, If you soften the copper washer with a propane torch it will squish slightly and likely seal the leak. If you sub in a different seal I would personally use a nylon washer. It will allow a closer to proper tightening tension and should not squish out then loosen and fall out.
Cevan
I believe the copper crush washers for the oil drain plug are NLA. I bought a bunch of 12x18 copper crush washers online. Shouldn't be too hard to find.
warrenoliver
Hi Warren, If you soften the copper washer with a propane torch it will squish slightly and likely seal the leak. If you sub in a different seal I would personally use a nylon washer. It will allow a closer to proper tightening tension and should not squish out then loosen and fall out.
[/quote]

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the idea. I will try that. I have to anneal the HE washers before I install them so I will do that one too.

warrenoliver
Here's why I was confused. The Cap'n said there were two in the kit - I thought he meant two crush washers and one fiber plate seal. The Pelican kit has two seals and one crush washer.

Cap'n Krusty Nov 18 2005, 08:17 PM Post #7

Jeeezzzzzzz. Come on, guys, it's the SAME part! How hard is that? They give tou TWO in the sump gasket kit! Just be sure the barely noticeable seam on the crush washer is pointed toward the head of the nut (or bolt, in the case of the drain plug). If there's no seam, it's the wrong seal. Silicone (RTV) will promote leaks. 11ft/lbs is the MAXIMUM torque. If it leaks then, you have other problems. The Cap'n

I just want to stay on the "good" side of the Cap'n. poke.gif

Warrenoliver
flipb
I'm confused too. The Pelican description says 2 sump seals and one "drain plug seal".

So if I'm too lazy to find the right crush washer for the drain plug, can you drain the oil effectively through the sump and just leave the drain plug alone?
TheCabinetmaker
Well I certainly don't wanna ruffle the C'apn's feathers, but all the sump kits I have ever gotten from my local Porsche parts man has only had one crush washer with it. I always have to get one for the drain plug seperately. confused24.gif
TheCabinetmaker
[quote name='warrenoliver' date='Apr 15 2011, 09:59 AM' post='1460234']

Mark,

Warrenoliver
[/quote]

The head of the drain plug is bigger, but the od of the threaded part is the same as the sump plate.
Cevan
QUOTE(warrenoliver @ Apr 15 2011, 01:40 PM) *

Here's why I was confused. The Cap'n said there were two in the kit - I thought he meant two crush washers and one fiber plate seal. The Pelican kit has two seals and one crush washer.

Cap'n Krusty Nov 18 2005, 08:17 PM Post #7

Jeeezzzzzzz. Come on, guys, it's the SAME part! How hard is that? They give tou TWO in the sump gasket kit! Just be sure the barely noticeable seam on the crush washer is pointed toward the head of the nut (or bolt, in the case of the drain plug). If there's no seam, it's the wrong seal. Silicone (RTV) will promote leaks. 11ft/lbs is the MAXIMUM torque. If it leaks then, you have other problems. The Cap'n

I just want to stay on the "good" side of the Cap'n. poke.gif

Warrenoliver

I believe the torque for the sump screen bolt is 9.4 ft/lbs. Check your manual before you go to 11 ft lbs. This is one bolt you don't want to overtighten.
Dave_Darling
9.4 lb-ft is correct.

There used to be two different sump plate gasket kits. One had two washers and four gaskets, the other had one washer and two gaskets. I don't know which we carry.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.