Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Springs and retainers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pat4
Hi all,

My 2.0 engine rebuild is pretty finished. We choose Webcam #86a camshaft (valve lift .435 & 290° duration), Webcam 00-263 new lifters, chromoly new pusrods, Webcam VS-P00 new HD springs and shims. Webcam said "stock retainers OK" but my mechanic found that stock retainers did not fit correctely.

So, he took alumium retainers and put them as you can see below.

IPB Image

But when I show the picture to some friends, they told me that alumium retainers could break.

The problem is that the engine is in the car now and if I decide to change them, we need to remove heads.

I would like to have any advice about the real risk with these retainers.
Mark Henry
Are those HD single springs? then the Al retainers "may" work ok but I don't like them, they wear faster and in extreme cases the keepers will pull right through the retainers, (breaking the retainer). I'll never use them myself.

Cr-mo are the type that I use. But I also use heavier springs on hipo engines.

Are you using stock or SS valves? If using SS valves you must use lash caps with that set-up.
I notice that you are NOT using hydro spacers, P-swivel foot adjusters, 8mm rocker bolts, etc. It would be a good idea to upgrade your valve train.
pat4
The prings are single HD Webcam. Webcam says "Performance Valve Springs - Single valve spring will handle up to .485 valve lift. Kit includes .030 (VSI-102) shims. Stock retainers OK."
The valves are the stock ones.

You say exactely the same that other personns. "The may work, but I won't use them"
Jake Raby
I replied on the STF....

Great springs but crappy retainers. Most of the time the spring walks in the retainer, or the keepers rip through.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.