Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bitch of a weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Spent Friday night until 10pm, Saturday morning starting at 4 until 8, Saturday night from 3 until 10 amost of yesterday working on the car. When I got the tranny off the old seal was hard as a rock and starting to break. SOB refused to come out and I had to drill holes in it and screw in screws to get it out.It had been done before as there were some nicks in the bore. I cleaned it up as best I could and put in a new seal.

Cleaned up some other stuff. Dragging right rear brake (adjusted venting) clesned up cable runs, cleaned grounds, new hi torque starter.

Put the engine and tranny back in and it wouldn't fire. Fuel pump ran, but no fuel.
I checked the wires and I had made the same mistake as the last time I dropped the engine. I HOOKED IT UP BACKWARDS. The red hot lead has a black connector crimped to it and the black ground has a red connector crimped to it. DOH, stupid CO (current owner). Took a while to prime but then it went.

Wife was pretty upset about Mother's day but, she's got a little time to cool off before WCC and she doesn't want my son and I to have car troubles on the way down. (Ya, right is that possible?)

Dave
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(DNHunt @ May 10 2004, 08:24 AM)
When I got the tranny off the old seal was hard as a rock and starting to break. SOB refused to come out and I had to drill holes in it and screw in screws to get it out.

I couldn't get mine out neither Dave & it was hard too (the seal) wink.gif

Went to FLAPS & got that seal puller for $8. Popped that suck'a right out. Glad yer up & runnin tho...
Just went over to the house & got to messin with the floor jack. Made a tranny plate for installation tonight. Nice pre-cut piece of 2 x 10 bolted to the jack beer.gif

Should be up & runnin too before vacation this week clap56.gif

...............b
LS6/914
Dave, sorry to hear about your shaft (seal). Give a call at the shop next time, I ll toss ya the puller. Larry welder.gif
ablose58
GEE Dave you should have gotten hold of me I would have came and helped! AL
DNHunt
Thanks for the offers guys. This was kind of a test run with my son Gerry to see how long he is good for at a time. Looks like he can put in a good couple of hours before his attention starts to wander. So the engine build will be 2 hours at a time. I'll have everything laid out for what we will do. Then we'll put in a couple of hours then take a break. Not too bad for a 14 year old.

Dave
Mueller
glad to know you you finished it !!!!!

drilling holes and using a screw is the same method I used last time, works, but it does make one nervous unsure.gif

see 'ya in a few weeks boldblue.gif
Bruce Allert
Dave, ask Gerry if he'd wanna take pics of you guys doin' stuff to the car & get a "How To" book started. His pics are GUD beer.gif
Thanks very much for the CD. Thanks to Gerry for the great shoot'n too. Keep it up Gerry. Yer doin' mighty fine clap56.gif

.......b
DNHunt
I'm Sweating the nicks in the bore. If I had had a known good tranny to put in I would have. But the extra I have is coated with oil inside the bell and I have never driven it so I don't know about the internals.

Luckily, the nicks are all in the outside third of the bore so the seal has a good 2/3's toward the inside of the tranny to seal against plus most of the outside between the dings. The old seal ran for a long time against that bore. I have no record of having it replaced and I've had the car since 82. I deburred everything. The seal felt like a nice solid fit so we'll see. I know I'll be wondering whether I'm gonna have a big puff of smoke and leave a patch of gear lube on the road to California. Best I can do for now.

Dave
Joe Ricard
You'll be fine. There isn't any pressure behind the seal. Just a means of keeping a seal around the rotating shaft and gear oil is slung all over the place. If'n it does leak worst that can happen is oiling up your clutch disk and marking you parking spot. Like we don't do that now rolleyes.gif When you oil up a clutch with gear lube it will get hot and sticky so there will be no modulation.
DNHunt
Thanks Joe that makes me feal a little better. Guess I should have thought of that with the breather on the top of the tranny.

Dave
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(DNHunt @ May 11 2004, 07:49 PM)
Thanks Joe that makes me feal a little better. Guess I should have thought of that with the breather on the top of the tranny.

Dave

That's what made me change my clutch. I tipped the tranny up while it was attached to the engine and out come the oil from the breather right onto the clutch headbang.gif it on't burn off neither! <_<

.....b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.