Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wiring harness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trcarrera
I have a 75 914-4 that we are working on converting to a 914-6 with a hot 2.2. I have decided that the wiring harness that the car has is just to much of a mess to deal with and I would like to put a new harness in. I would much rather buy a fully put to gether wiring harness that is ready to install then have to put a wiring harness from scratch together. My question is can any one give me a good suggestion on where I can find such a thing.

Thanks
seanery
the main forum is a better place for this. This forum is for members who provide 914 related products. I'll move it over.

Welcome to the club!
Rusty
TR! Welcome to the BBS! smile.gif

I'm going to move this post to the technical forum. You have a much better chance of getting it answered there.

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. The 914 Resources forum was set up for club members to advertise a particular part or service to other members. It's for the little guy... not for full fleged parts vendors.

P.P.S. Sean beat me to moving it!
SirAndy
if you want to keep all the nice little gizmos in your '75 then your best bet is to find a donor '75 that has a unmolested wire harness and just swap the whole thing.

if your're looking for a brand new harness, there's a guy down in LA who makes brand new harnesses for original /6 only.

it'll fit your /4 but it is different in a lot of ways, you will loose quite a lot of "features" (like the fasten seatbelt thing) and others.
it's around $1000 bucks ...

i put a '73 (used, but like new) harness in my '70 and it works great.
much cheaper too, i got it for $100 for a local wrecking yard ...

Andy
eldiosyeldiablo
Or you could get a brand "new" harness made by Jeff B. Look for his posting here... Great quality.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=ST&f=4&t=2949

-David
SirAndy
QUOTE(eldiosyeldiablo @ May 10 2004, 06:11 PM)
Or you could get a brand "new" harness made by Jeff B. Look for his posting here... Great quality.

Jeff only makes ENGINE harnesses, he's talking about a COMPLETE harness for the WHOLE car ...

wink.gif Andy
mikey
if your're looking for a brand new harness, there's a guy down in LA who makes brand new harnesses for original /6 only.

Andy,

Who is this guy in LA you mentioned? I should probably get a new harness for my original 6.

Mike
lmcchesney
Andy, biggrin.gif his web site lists FI, Ignition, alternator and other harnesses now.
http://members.rennlist.com/914_wiring_harnesses/
L. McC
echocanyons
ynz's has 6 harness reproductions

http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

no fours though
SirAndy
QUOTE(mikey @ May 11 2004, 04:52 AM)
Who is this guy in LA you mentioned? I should probably get a new harness for my original 6.

don't recall the name. ask Brad, he got one for Blacky ...

Andy
Qarl
This is a subject I am very familiar with, so let me save you some time...

New wiring harnesses are VERY difficult to find (for the fours at least). A very elusive item (much like a new driver's side sun visor which I have yet to locate)

AA "supposedly" has them for around $1800.

I called Mittelmotor, Brumos, several larger U.S. Porsche dealerships, Pelican, HPH, Ottos, Stoddard, GPR, Patrick Motorsports, Parts Obsolete, Zims, DC Automotive, Aase Brothers, and several other places and could not find one.

I found one several years ago in Switzerland, purchased it, sold, and bought it back last year.

High Performance House can sell you a good used one.

YNZ Automotive in Redlands, CA only makes them for the six. To make one for a four will cost about $3600, (mostly for the labor involved to set up the wiring loom board). This is the place that Brad got his for "Blackie".

A new six harness sold on ebay last month for around $600 or so (a steal!)

Last October, Jeroen had forwarded this ad to me from the back of Excellence magazine...

>>Wiring Harness - made in Germany
100% authentic reproductions of original harnesses, correct terminals, color-coded wire and plugs, simple manual (english) and full color wiring diagram for easy installation
Price each model $595 (includes cost of freight - airmail)
Time of delivery: 2 weeks

Wiring Harness Wocheslander
fax (+49) 9452 2628<<

Maybe you should try this source and see what you find out.

Make sure you get the correct harness for your year's car (even if it is a four). There were differences in several areas (steering column switches, relay board connections, center console or no center console, etc.)
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(mikey @ May 11 2004, 03:52 AM)
 I should probably get a new harness for my original 6.

Mike

Chip Evaul has an NOS one, he brought it to the last D&G swap meet. No idea what he's asking for it.

clevaul (at) earthlink (dot-net).

--DD
mikey
New wiring harnesses are VERY difficult to find

Then, does anyone recondition wiring harnesses?
Qarl
YNZ can recondition, but bring $$$$$. You might as well buy a new one.

The difficulty lies in getting all the right connectors, the correctly colored wire, etc.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mikey @ May 11 2004, 12:26 PM)
New wiring harnesses are VERY difficult to find

Then, does anyone recondition wiring harnesses?

NOOOOO ...

he meant 4-Cylinder harnesses are very hard to find wink.gif

you can buy the 6-Cylinder harness brand spanking new at the location provided above ...

Andy
Slowpoke
Rebuilding a wiring harness really isn't all that differcult. Most of the time is only bad in a few spots after you get it out and a good look at it. Most of the wire is easy to obtain, most of the connectors are solder on ones, (reusable). The spade ones are also availible. The biggest issue is a place to do it. The 914 harness is really-really long, so I end up using my living room floor and hall. I don't really want to get into all the details, but it's very doable. Time consuming to the max, though. But, you can put in connectors (GM weathershield) to make the removal of certain things easier, eliminate relay boards etc. then add new features you want to have. It takes me about 6 weeks to get one done, working every other day.
trcarrera
thanks for all the great info.

Thanks
Theron Hill
JeffBowlsby
In addition to building replacement 914/4 engine bay harnesses, I have also reconditioned the main 914 body harness on occasion. I have one right now that I am working for our own William Harris as a matter fact.

Reconditioning the original harnesses works well if the harness is in generally good condition and essentailly just needs a tune-up. If the harness is hacked up pretty good, find another one. Generally though I have found that the main body harnesses are in pretty good condition...they are generally well-protected from heat, liquids and physical abuse.

I have considered building the main body 914 harnesses, but with a good supply of original harnesses still available at dismantlers, it does not make sense to build them currently. The main body harness has several hundred special-color wires, and probably upwards of 100 special connectors and housings. It would also take several days labor to make one, to say nothing of the resarch to make a good template in the first place. My recollection after my previous research is that there are no less than 10 different main body 914 wiring harnesses, so making them all available is a major investment of time and effort, for essentially no demand. Given all that, a new main body 914 harness would easily cost well over $1000., and possibly double that.

Custom mods like what Slowpoke suggests only add to the complications...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.