Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: paint question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimB
Apparently there was something spilled on my car that made the paint run. I'm debating a respay of the whole thing, but it doesn't seem worth it given the condition of the paint and all the other things I'm bound to find as I get familiar with the car.
Any good recomendations to get this fixed?
TheCabinetmaker
Bummer. sad.gif

Stop by a reputable body shop and get a proffessional opinion. Might be something that could be color sanded and buffed.

Hope it works out.
TimB
That was a bit big huh? I'll experiment here.
TimB
How 'bout now?
Levi
Tim
if you size your pic's to 600x400 pixels you will get a real good size for posting...thats the size I use anyways...Hope this helps.. beerchug.gif
Levi
QUOTE(TimB @ May 10 2004, 08:38 AM)
Apparently there was something spilled on my car that made the paint run. I'm debating a respay of the whole thing, but it doesn't seem worth it given the condition of the paint and all the other things I'm bound to find as I get familiar with the car.
Any good recomendations to get this fixed?

Tim,
Is that a base/clear??
I would try a lite polishing compound for the type of paint you have and see if it will come out, just try it on a small spot on the bottom of the drip first...Hell just come on over to my place and I'll do it for you... laugh.gif laugh.gif
McMark
PM blpenserini. He's the painter here. Maybe you guys can setup a time to bring the car by.
Levi
I love fixin and posting pic's biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
william harris
smilie_pokal.gif Tim, I love the color of your car. Since mine will be repainted soon, what is the color? Paint name and number if you have it. Thanks. beer.gif
Jenny
Pretty fuchs.. Drool. wub.gif

Have nothing substancial to contribute to the paint question. Sorry.

Jen
SP9146
what a beautiful car. good advice on what to do to try to fix but if that doesn't work it's worth paying a high end shop to fix.
McMark
I'd wager that's Alaska Blue Metallic. biggrin.gif L96B
TimB
Thanks all. Yup, it's the Alaska Blue Metallic optional color.
415PB
Very, very nice....
Katmanken
Hard to tell what kind of paint you have in the pic.

If it's basecoat/clearcoat, the clearcoat might be damaged and fixable.

If the drip got into the color coat and melted it, the metalflake might have moved and that wont be easily fixable.

Whole fender could be resprayed, but metalflake paints are difficult and you need a pro to do that.

My wife's car had the right side resprayed (NAP) metallic blue and the guy did a wonderful job. Looks great in the day. At night, at a tiny area next to the trunk, it looks different. Flake must have been sprayed at a slightly different angle there.

Ken
blpenserini
Yep, if the paint is a two-stage job (base and clear) it is likely that just the clear was affected. Worst case, it got into the color (base coat) and that fender needs to be resprayed. It's nothing that can be buffed or polished out completely- compound won't even touch it. The good news is if the base coat is fine you can have more clear sprayed over that and rubbed out to match the rest of the car. In that case, the color won't change and there's no blending involved.

I'm new to the club, but I do some of the painting for Brad. See Jenny's and Mikes 6. Post me if you need more help.
TimB
The run is definitely in the base color. The run is sort of white with a darker blue edge. I'm told it was acid that spilled. The paint looks terrific from 2-3 feet away, but it's not perfect - and who wants a lover that only looks good from afar! Seems like the clearcoat is also cracked (was resprayed a few years back on the hoods only?) on the rear hood. So basically I'm on the fence about getting an exterior paint job with some minor rust work in the trunk. But if I spend $500 for the fender I may as well just do the whole thing.
Hmm. I'm usually se decisive. Woa is me...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.