Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motronic fuel injection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
For those of you running a 3.2 with Motronic fuel injection, if you don't have a spare DME relay, (fuel pump relay) go get one and keep it in the glove box. The first time I tried to start my car after getting home from the Rt. 66 tour, It wouldn't start. It would turn over, cough once then not start. It cranked but wouldn't start. It had the same symtoms as fuel starvation. I jumped 12 volts to the fuel pump and it ran great. I checked volts to the fuel pump and it read 0. I remembered someone tell me that the DME relay will sometimes crap out for no reason and the car will STOP and/or not start. I replaced the DME relay and it fired right up. Do yourself a favor and get a spare. I'm just glad it didn't crap out in the middle of the Mojave desert.
Cheers, Elliot
ConeDodger
Word! They are cheap enough that you can easily afford the insurance of having that extra too... $35 or $30 IIRC...
Elliot Cannon
Retail is about $67. I paid $52. Everything just keeps going up. headbang.gif
AZ914
Elliot.. where do you have your DME and relay mounted? Just curious..
Elliot Cannon
On the right side of the firewall. I'm told mounting them inside the car where it might be cooler is a good idea.
pcar916
agree.gif gotta have one.

I've carried a spare since 1999 and had never used it until recently except to eliminate it as the source of a fuel delivery problem. Turns out a bad solder connection on the pump was the culprit, and using it as a diagnostic tool took no time at all.

I have mine mounted on the roll bar inside behind the drivers seat about 8 inches from the firewall-mounted DME unit. I can get to it when I open the door. Takes longer to get it out of the glove box. beerchug.gif
jim912928
Good idea...tons of them on eBay! I mounted mine and the other components under the passenger seat. I had to raise the seat about 3/4 of an inch for clearance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.