Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 1.8 - whats it worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
I know someone who's got a 74 1.8 for sale and he wants me to make an offer on it. Its a bit tricky, because it has some good points and some bad points... Here's the good news first.

-original color (light blue) and seemingly original paint
-rubber is excellent all around
-body is very straight
-things close nicely, meet up nicely, etc.
-interior is clean (no holes in door panels, original handles on stuff)
-basically an unmolested car with original engine and no hacks on anything
-clear title, etc.
-in very nice shape from the outside and most of the inside.

Bad news:

-rear trunk area rusted, (some small holes, definitely needs replacement)
-battery tray gone, hole in wheel well, about 3 inches square
(although it looks like the rust stopped there, but I need to check it a bit closer to make certain of that)
-underside of car has some rust. Hard to say if its surface rust or not. the inside floor of the car is clean, the area behind the pedal cluster is clean, front trunk arear is clean except the lip where the rubber seal is on the very front (half of it)

So.... Assuming that the battery tray area rust is restricted to that area, (I'll try and scrape away some paint to verify this) and seeing as there is not any other structural rust, (longitudinals look good, suspension mounts are great)

what is this car worth? I've been told to make an offer...

The things I like about it most are that its basically original, and no one has patched things up or fixed things in cheap or crappy ways. THe things I don't like about it are obvious smile.gif

-Tony
TonyAKAVW
bump
mightyohm
Tony - Check the longitudinal on the passenger side especially in the front right corner of the engine bay where you can't see. Also check out the jacking donut and the suspension under the battery.

Aside from rust issues (which it sounds like there are plenty) the 1.8 is not a lot of people's favorite either...

I guess it depends how much you enjoy doing rust repair.
Brad Roberts
I'd pay 2k-2500$ for it and slap a 2.0 in it and a sway bar or save it for a 6 conversion car.

I'm not currently looking, but it may be something I can sell for you.

B
TonyAKAVW
So you think that its worth that much even with rust? Is it ridiculous to have a shop do _some_ rust repair in terms of cost? I think something like the rear trunk panel would be fairly simple to replace, but I need to investigate with a poking implmenet (screwdriver) to see how far the battery tray area rust goes. If that is more than trivial to repair I think I'll stay away from it.
Brad Roberts
Rust doesnt scare east coast people.

The battery tray can be toast.. as long as the frame rail below it is solid... buy it. Offer him 1500$ and sell it for 2000$

The rear trunk... unless you cant lock your dog in the trunk... the rust isnt a deal killer.

B
Lawrence
It's sad, but Brad is very right.

East coast/rust-belt folks have a whole different definition of "rust damage".

-Rusty
Gint
Sounds like my first 914. Offer him $1500 and satnd firm. At that price it's a good buy.
TonyAKAVW
Okay sounds good. I thought I'd learned the rust lesson with my first 914 (the one I own still) but then I tell myself "this one has so much less rust" sad.gif

-Tony
TonyAKAVW
I've got some pictures up now at
http://www.wavelen.com/~allong/upload/upload/

-Tony
Gint
Looks like it might be a little scary. That inner fenderwell behind the battery tray (the 3" hole) looks like it's much more than that by the time you get to good metal. Forn the pics, it looks like there could be alot more rust hiding on that car. IIWM, I'd pass. I don't like rust.
Brad Roberts
OK.. so offer him 1000$ if you have space for it.

The holes near the battery tray are typical.. the place to be concerned about is under the computer at the base of the engine firewall. I didnt see any pics of this.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.