Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pauter Rocker arms
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
What advantage do these provide over the stock rocker assembly? These look trick, but also look expensive. Worth it?IPB Image
Jake Raby
They have issues AND about 90% of the cams available off the shelf have too fast of a ramp rate for them.

I stay stock with 98% of what I build,,
These rockers are also splash oilers and promote valve train wear. If I use them I add oilers to the valve covers to keep the guides from hurting.

I have seen MEGA failures from these when used with the wrong cams... One guy lost 4 valves before he finally listened and went for stock rockers.
Dave_Darling
Advantages:
I believe they are lighter than stock. Light == good, as long as it's strong enough.
Roller tip. Less wear on the valve tip, if done right.
Higher "ratio" than stock, I think 1.5:1? Gives you more valve lift for the cam lift than stock.
Disadvantages:
See Jake's post above.

They seem to be good for race engines when someone who knows what they're doing is building the motor? (That would leave me waaaaay out! biggrin.gif )

--DD
Jake Raby
They are not that light.... a lightened stocker is the same weight..

The higher ratio is what makes them not compatible with many cams, they accelerate the valveopening and closing more harshly...

The worst applications I have seen with them are full race engines...
Those roller tips wear out and snapoff unless you pull the pins and re do them...

The higher ratio creates more wear on the cam and lifters, as it raises valve lift and increases friction and tension against the cam...

Stay stock, the only engines I have seen benefit from them are in busses, as the ramp rates actually compliment them and they need extra lift and flow off the seat....

These rockers are the fastest way to make the guides hurt.... ask Charles from LN about seized valves when using them. He knows first hand!
Mark Henry
I've seen this on the Type 1's as well.

When you think about it, the heaviest part of the rocker (the roller) is right where you don't want it, hanging out over the valve.

If some one did want to make a "proper" ratio rocker it would be a forged unit like the original EMPI or Berg. Not going to happen, as you have to make 2 separate forgings, proper geometry, oversized shafts, etc. $$$$$

Besides a stock T4 rocker is already a ratio (1.3-1) rocker
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.