Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alternative air cleaner for D-jet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
broomhandle
I am tired of the oil air cleaner, i feel it blocks air coming in. what have you guys done for the D-Jet setup for a custom air filter?

i was thinking of a tube, with a few in's, one side hooking up to the elbow into the throttle body and a K&N on the other side.

any pics of other setups?
Comanchepilot
I'm curious as well. I lost my rubber adapter from the air cleaner housing to the throttle body recently. Dumb story. Any one have a coupler they're not using due to a possible carb swap?
Andyrew
Whats the diameter of the throttle body in inches? You could easily get tubing from a hose supplier, or intercooler setup and just get the correct size PVC or similar and throw on a cone filter. If you need ports you could JB weld them into the elbow.

http://www.tuningvenair.us/?gclid=CIuvmt7_oqgCFRFOgwodix9wIA

Or you could just buy a kit like this one.
http://www.9xauto.com/914filter.html

Cevan
This is what I did when I first swapped a 2.0 into my car. I didn't like how the stock air cleaner made access to the motor more difficult. I switched back to the stock air filter after about 500 miles just to see the difference. Car ran better and cooler with the stock air filter.

Click to view attachment
broomhandle
QUOTE(Cevan @ Apr 17 2011, 04:15 AM) *
This is what I did when I first swapped a 2.0 into my car. I didn't like how the stock air cleaner made access to the motor more difficult. I switched back to the stock air filter after about 500 miles just to see the difference. Car ran better and cooler with the stock air filter.

does the 2.0 have an oil bath air filter? or paper?

i have a 1.7 with the oil and i just want something different, and better. there has to be a setup that will work.

what you did is exactly what i was thinking.
championgt1
2.0 has a paper filter.
Bartlett 914
Will a 2.0 air cleaner fit a 1.7?
TheCabinetmaker
The oil bath was discontinued in 73. The oil bath is actually the best filtering wise. Its just messy. Find a filter housing from a 73 1.7 and use the paper filter if you want, but I hear the round filters are hard to find. I dumped the stock 2L filter for a k&n on my 75 several years ago. The stock filter will go back on when I get the new 2056 installed. The K&N does not filter as well as the stock filter, and they don't add horspower. It makes no difference how much air you put in if it can't get it out.
broomhandle
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 17 2011, 08:15 AM) *

The oil bath was discontinued in 73. The oil bath is actually the best filtering wise. Its just messy. Find a filter housing from a 73 1.7 and use the paper filter if you want, but I hear the round filters are hard to find. I dumped the stock 2L filter for a k&n on my 75 several years ago. The stock filter will go back on when I get the new 2056 installed. The K&N does not filter as well as the stock filter, and they don't add horspower. It makes no difference how much air you put in if it can't get it out.

it seams this setup is the best. 100 bucks though...
IPB Image

more air in (in a closed area) and shorter travel vrs the oil bath.

the oil is messy. i hate it. and a K&N will last a very long time...
cary
I have one of those. Works good, but the plastic looks kind of hillbilly.
One of the guys I AX with in PDX has one that looks the same, but tubing is alloy.
Cevan
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Apr 17 2011, 03:13 PM) *

IPB Image

Can't see how that would work on a D-Jet throttlebody. Maybe that's for L-Jet.
r_towle
1.7 djet is a side intake setup.
2.0 liter is straight up.

rich
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Apr 17 2011, 12:13 PM) *

IPB Image

It may last a long time, but it sucks as a filtration device.

The Cap'n
broomhandle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 17 2011, 05:21 PM) *

IPB Image

The Cap'n

KN makes good stuff. how is it any different that a new vehicle? they are not using an oil bath. also, i dont think KN would be making filters if it did not filter.
broomhandle
QUOTE(cary @ Apr 17 2011, 04:40 PM) *

I have one of those. Works good, but the plastic looks kind of hillbilly.
One of the guys I AX with in PDX has one that looks the same, but tubing is alloy.

i thought the white tube was a alloy or something. plastic would be lame.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Apr 17 2011, 07:53 PM) *

IPB Image

The Cap'n

KN makes good stuff. how is it any different that a new vehicle? they are not using an oil bath. also, i dont think KN would be making filters if it did not filter.

And you're wrong in thinking that. K&N is in the business of selling product, not making a quality filter. For more air to pass through a given area at a given rate, you have to reduce the obstruction presented by the filter. FAR fewer square inches of filter material (in some cases, less than a quarter of the area of a stock filter) with far larger pores. The result? Much larger particles passing through the filter than with the OE element. Facts of life.

The Cap'n
Andyrew
IPB Image

As long as the heat is down it should do a decent job.. But KNN filters dont filter very well as mentioned.
Bleyseng
get a 1.7 air cleaner out of a 73 as there is a few used ones around. Don't try to re-invent the wheel here as the out come (KN filters) isn't all that great.
thelogo
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Apr 16 2011, 08:03 PM) *

I am tired of the oil air cleaner, i feel it blocks air coming in. what have you guys done for the D-Jet setup for a custom air filter?

i was thinking of a tube, with a few in's, one side hooking up to the elbow into the throttle body and a K&N on the other side.

any pics of other setups?

Stay away from k and n filters . If a company told you they sold the greatest motor oil ever and that it would last 100k miles before changing .

you 'd be a dumbass to buy it .

same as k and n . your trying to save a few bucks and your not , but your making them rich.

anyhow . I had a k an n in my truck , it was ok except I suspect that the oil from it was bad for the engine !!!!!! sawzall-smiley.gif

So the fix is , told to me by my local wrench . is

take a folgers coffee can and machine the metal so it fits in the air box and a drop in filter or common filter can be used . I think he used a round type 1 airfilter .

Good luck ! piratenanner.gif

r_towle
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 18 2011, 03:52 PM) *

get a 1.7 air cleaner out of a 73 as there is a few used ones around. Don't try to re-invent the wheel here as the out come (KN filters) isn't all that great.

And then what filter should he go buy?
I recall we had this discussion and there are not any filters that work for that stock air cleaner...

Rich
broomhandle
I am not arguing for KN. I am just against an oil bath. its a pain in the a. if my motor ran perfect. i would probably leave it alone. its a daily driver. not a show car.

if i can find a 1.7 73 i will grab it. or i may go with the KN until i can find something else. really what harm can a KN do?

modern cars do not use an oil bath.
Cap'n Krusty
Oil bath air filters are the best at cleaning the air entering your engine. No filter is worst, closely followed by a K&N. OE Paper elements are closest in performance to the oil bath, without the hassle of cleaning the oil bath every 6000 miles. I sure wouldn't switch to the next to worst system from the best one just because it was a little hassle once or twice a year. but that's just me, I guess. BTW, I still have a couple of paper elements left.

The Cap'n
Cevan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 18 2011, 05:52 PM) *

Oil bath air filters are the best at cleaning the air entering your engine. No filter is worst, closely followed by a K&N. OE Paper elements are closest in performance to the oil bath, without the hassle of cleaning the oil bath every 6000 miles. I sure wouldn't switch to the next to worst system from the best one just because it was a little hassle once or twice a year. but that's just me, I guess. BTW, I still have a couple of paper elements left.

The Cap'n

I had a K&N air filter on my Honda back in 1989. I put 150,000 miles on that car and the mileage never went down, nor did the oil consumption go up.
Pat Garvey
I'll stay with me oil bath. Works just fine & fairly easy to clean.
Pat
thelogo
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 18 2011, 03:23 PM) *

I'll stay with me oil bath. Works just fine & fairly easy to clean.
Pat

And you'll never be down a quart .

aktion035.gif

couldn't resist
Root_Werks
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 17 2011, 09:15 AM) *

agree.gif

Don't waste your money, it won't do anything but add more noise into the cabin of the car.

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Cevan @ Apr 18 2011, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 18 2011, 05:52 PM) *

The Cap'n

I had a K&N air filter on my Honda back in 1989. I put 150,000 miles on that car and the mileage never went down, nor did the oil consumption go up.

Scientific testing beats anecdotal reporting any day. I rest my case.

The Cap'n
pt_700
thanks to all the posters here for skoolin' a fellow member on filters. think the k&n on the benz will be replaced with a stocker...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 17 2011, 08:06 PM) *

QUOTE(broomhandle @ Apr 17 2011, 07:53 PM) *

IPB Image

The Cap'n

And you're wrong in thinking that. K&N is in the business of selling product, not making a quality filter. For more air to pass through a given area at a given rate, you have to reduce the obstruction presented by the filter. FAR fewer square inches of filter material (in some cases, less than a quarter of the area of a stock filter) with far larger pores. The result? Much larger particles passing through the filter than with the OE element. Facts of life.

The Cap'n

agree.gif with everything the Cap'n said and will add that on modern cars with MAF, they oil foul the MAF and you have to replace or continuously clean them. As for K&N not selling filters if they weren't better, they would sell you belly button lint if they could. In most cases the only change that happens with a K&N filter is the sound. If it does improve HP it probably reduces engine life.
AZ914
There are K&N style cone filters that are dry.. AFE makes some. You just wash them off. Not sure how the filtration is.
McMark
IPB Image
Oooooooh, those setups are an extra special kinda ugly. icon8.gif

But it's your motor. You've decided based on highly scientific guessing ( rolleyes.gif ) that you have a problem. There is a list of companies that will gladly take your money in the spirit of 'fixing' your problem. And you'll probably notice a difference because you want to find one.

Anyway, get your K&N, and while you're at it , throw on a Tornado™ and some fuel line magnets. Better throw some zMax™ into your oil as well. That little 1.7 is gonna feel like a Cayman Turbo.

av-943.gif

Sorry. That was probably a little over the line. I guess I'm just sensitive to people wanting to throw money at problems that don't really exist. Bottom line, It's your car, do what makes you happy.
silver74insocal
devils advocate says: so what the hell do the carb'ed engines run ? cuz i always see carbed 2+ liter engines running oil bath air cleaners lol-2.gif

popcorn[1].gif
r3dplanet
*bump*

I'm pulling up this thread again because I have a situation where my early 1.7 didn't come into my possession with an air filter at all. Instead someone modified this punk-ass Boxster air intake to fit into the bay.

While this thread seems to have devolved into an opinion section about K&N filters, the real question remains: is it possible to buy a decent aftermarket air filter replacement system for the early 1.7L motors?

It's easy enough to say, "Oh, well go find one off a '73 1.7L," but those aren't exactly easy to find.

-marcus
913B
Where does it get the oil from and what is the regular maintenance one should do ?

Here is a neat idea if you have the right tools and time.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=2&t=32932
r3dplanet
Where does it get the oil? I don't understand. I check the oil with the dipstick and add as necessary. The get-up I have now leaks like crazy, or least it did until I recently pulled the motor for some maintenance. Here's an ugly-ass photo of my soon-to-be ex-setup.

The link you posted certainly shows a beautiful and clever solution and clearly solves the issue for someone with access to welding and fabrication equipment. I think that would be a really nice alternative, but a tad unrealistic for me to hack together.

And so in that spirit I one bought one off ebay and located my Dremel. Wish me luck.

-m.

QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ May 21 2011, 09:33 PM) *

Where does it get the oil from and what is the regular maintenance one should do ?

Here is a neat idea if you have the right tools and time.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=2&t=32932

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.