Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project 914 3.6....The Finish
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
I finally got a decent day for some photos for the last article. Pete will make the decision on what is used but here are a couple SAMPLE IMAGES that I liked. I can't post more until the article comes out.

This will wrap up the series....
Mike Bellis
Truely one of the nicest 914's in the World. first.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 17 2011, 09:23 AM) *

Truely one of the nicest 914's in the World. first.gif

agree.gif drooley.gif
Lou W
Very Cool, I've enjoyed the reading the progress in the magazine.
stephenaki
Very nice, maybe one day mine will look as nice.
mtn flyr
Just to let you know, this article was one of the factors that moved me to get into my 914. beerchug.gif Thanks!
quadracerx
This may have been asked before...But...

Is there a way to get a list of all the articles and which month they came out? Or better yet a reprint with all the articles in one piece? It has been a great project and one that spanned several issues and taught all of us who value these cars alot...

Just askin...thanks for doing it...

Steve
Very very nice. I've been following it in E mag
pcar916
Very nice car! Great job.
Eric_Shea
Congratulations Paul. You did a fabulous job on the story and the build.
TJB/914
Congratulations Paul pray.gif

Your 914-6 is beautiful and the workmanship is EXCELLENCE Magazine material first.gif

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 17 2011, 03:52 PM) *

Congratulations Paul pray.gif

Your 914-6 is beautiful and the workmanship is EXCELLENCE Magazine material first.gif

Tom

agree.gif pray.gif beerchug.gif
mepstein
Any way to get the story if I don't get the mag?
carr914
Very Nice
jim912928
that car is just plain SEXY!!!!!!!! Beautiful job and the Excellence series is superb!
PRS914-6
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Apr 17 2011, 01:45 PM) *

Is there a way to get a list of all the articles and which month they came out? Or better yet a reprint with all the articles in one piece? It has been a great project and one that spanned several issues and taught all of us who value these cars alot...

Steve

Thanks for all the compliments, it's been a fun project. A 911 is next.

Steve, I'll put a list of all the articles (issues and #) here sometime this week.

A reprint of the article (before editing) is possible but not through Excellence. Pete and I have thrown around a few ideas and I'll try to come up with something soon after I talk to him....Selling a packet of magazines is probably prohibitive as back issues are very expensive.
ConeDodger
All because Paul gave Yopu a ride in this car at a BBQ, the only Porsche engine displacement number she knows is 3.6.

She says that I should do a 3.6 conversion. I think she is under the impression that money grows on trees... blink.gif
burton73
A great looking car. Black when done that nice is a truly gorgeous.

Thank you for taking the time for sharing your build with us.

Bob Burton
RFoulds
Beautiful. I didn't know about the arrticle, guess I have to renew my subscription.
Makes me miss mine. Original 6, upgraded to 2.7

IPB Image
RFoulds
Just read the second to last installment. And the tease for the next one.

What WAS the final cost? Can you tell us a ballpark??

GeorgeRud
Why ruin the enjoyment of a beautiful project by actually adding up all the receipts you acquired along the way?

A gorgeous car at any cost. The articles were a lot of fun to read as well.
Ian Stott
Wow, that is a beautiful piece of work. My compliments.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
PRS914-6
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Apr 18 2011, 12:45 PM) *

Why ruin the enjoyment of a beautiful project by actually adding up all the receipts you acquired along the way?

A gorgeous car at any cost. The articles were a lot of fun to read as well.

Thanks!

The spread sheet of costs will be included in the upcoming article as well as insurance, agreed values, regrets etc. As long as my wife doesn't see it I'll survive..... yikes.gif
Cairo94507
Paul,

Congratulations on an extremely beautiful car.

I am dying to see your car in person one of these days. I am also kind of afraid to see it in person because I am afraid it will raise the bar for my restoration....when it finally happens.

Rleog
Thanks for the Excellence. I followed your build through the magazine articles and modified several things on mine based upon your experience.

I'm afraid to look at your coming spreadsheet. Really glad that I haven't kept detailed records.

Thanks again.
914-300Hemi
Very nice car and i really enjoyed reading the articles.
RFoulds
When is next issue available?

skota
great build, cant wait to see the article. beerchug.gif
PRS914-6
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Apr 17 2011, 01:45 PM) *

Steve

Here you go.....Final will be in the Aug issue (there is no July issue)
The numbers in the spread sheet will all be there

Part 1: How to start a project
#152 December 2006

Part 2: What is “rust-free?”
#154 April 2007

Part 3: Welding 101
#156 June 2007

Part 4: Installing steel flares
#156 June 2007

Part 5: Fiberglass bodywork
#160 November 2007

Part 6: Aluminum fabrication
#162 February 2008

Part 7: 993 motor install
#164 May 2008

Part 8: 915 transmission
#166 August 2008

Part 9: Axles and front suspension
#169 November 2008

Part 10: Rear suspension
#171 February 2009

Part 11: Fire-up
#173 May 2009

Part 12: Seats, pedals, & more
#175 August 2009

Part 13: Rough assembly and test drive
#177 October 2009

Part 14: Paint
#179 December 2009

Part 15: Assembly
#183 June 2010

Part 16: Seals, interior, & more
#185 September 2010

Part 17: Paint protection, alignment
#189 February 2011

Part 18: It is finished
#193 August 2011
porbmw
The car is drop dead gorgeous! smile.gif

But do you HAVE to publish costs....some of us have wives....and sometimes they even pick up the mag for a quick look.... sad.gif

PRS914-6
QUOTE(porbmw @ Apr 20 2011, 07:15 AM) *

The car is drop dead gorgeous! smile.gif

But do you HAVE to publish costs....some of us have wives....and sometimes they even pick up the mag for a quick look.... sad.gif

So sorry....Thankfully my wife is not interested in any magazine that doesn't have a garden in it! cheer.gif

If you read the letters in Excellence people frequently comment about the lack of $$ figures for the car builds. It is a private decision made by the builders if they want to release the numbers for publication. Most are reluctant for reasons we all know about. In my case, I felt it only fair to the readers after so many articles.

It will be interesting to see how many go new_shocked.gif and how many will think it's cheaper than expected
mepstein
agree.gif I'm doing a running list of parts costs on mine. Its hard to be exact when you sell parts off the car, make running changes and modify existing parts vs buying new but at least it will be a ballpark idea that people can build on for their cars. Just the cost of shipping assorted parts is probably around 2K. I'm leaving the labor quotes to Scotty B.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Apr 20 2011, 06:30 AM) *

It will be interesting to see how many go new_shocked.gif and how many will think it's cheaper than expected

I am betting on cheaper than expected. Knowing you personally, I have always been impressed with the fact that you will just do-it-yourself where others write checks. It has taught me to try and learn new things when I can, and write checks only if I have to...
PRS914-6
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 20 2011, 07:44 AM) *

agree.gif I'm doing a running list of parts costs on mine. Its hard to be exact when you sell parts off the car, make running changes and modify existing parts vs buying new but at least it will be a ballpark idea that people can build on for their cars. Just the cost of shipping assorted parts is probably around 2K. I'm leaving the labor quotes to Scotty B.

I had a folder and every time something arrived I tossed the receipt in a file and entered them on a spread sheet when the folder started to bulge. When I sold something I wrote it on a sheet and tossed it in the same folder as a credit.

The necessity of this is when you want to insure the car and I cover this in the last article.

I have discussed the car on numerous occasions with Jim Patrick and asked him what he charged a client to build a car like this (he has done several) and while I can't get the exact number I do get "over $100k". The time spent building custom parts is staggering and escalates the cost really fast if you have to pay someone do do it. For instance I spent almost a day to measure, acquire material and machine my steering wheel adapter so that the 930s wheel would fit and look right. Think what that would cost if you had to pay someone.....ouch! 911 ball bearing seat sliders is another....it just takes time and I am unwilling to pay someone and I enjoy doing it myself.

Also, the big joy is to drive something that you built yourself......
mepstein
Yes, I can see how it gets expensive quickly biggrin.gif I'm just the parts sourcer, Scott is doing all the real work. I can understand why PMS has to charge so much to build a car. It takes time to aquire all the parts, especially when your like me and have very little knowlege of what I need and where to get it. If you want a real business to source your parts, it will take time and money and they cant play around on boards chasing after peoples used parts. They need to (mostly) be able to order new from a list. 914 world, individual member threads and the members themselves have all been a huge help to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.