Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vacuum pump for crankcase ventilation??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Seems like a good idea, i know running the belt would be an issue.

Vacuum Pumps for crankcase ventilation
ArtechnikA
the drag bug guys used to run a crankcase vent hose to the exhaust collector to make use of the venturii effect. that has no moving parts but i do believe they used some kind of check valve to keep a backfire from detonating the oil mist inside the engine :-)

i've heard the V8 drag guys did this too - and have seen collapsed oil pans from the vacuum - so it must be working !
Mueller
Hey Rich,

I've seen a few pictures someplace that show that method, not too easy to control and it could make a little bit of mess on the windshield of the car behind you smile.gif

I think the Honda powered Indy cars (or one of those open wheel cars) had thier crankcase ventilation work so good that while the motor was running you could have a 2" hole in the side of the case and no oil would be lost....
john rogers
When I had my stroker 4 I was going to do this since we kept filling the valve covers with oil and it had trouble draining back to the sump area at high RPMs due to pressure inside the crank. Before I tried that I used an "exhaust sucker" like many drag cars run but it made the exhaust smoke and worried the course workers at Willow Springs. I finally went with a larger dry sump pump and larger sump suction line and had substantial vacuum once the engine went over 3500 RPMs or so. I was told by several drag racers that those pumps would never last a 20 minute race session so we dropped the idea. Good luck
Brett W
Mike

the vaccum pumps can be worth about 10-15 hp if done right, but those kinds of pumps won't last long in a race situation. The exhaust sucker can work really well. Look at the GSXR 600-750 series engines. They have a hole in the exhaust port that feeds into a breather type device that then hooks to the crank case vent system. According to Team Valvoline Suzuki it is good for 5-7 extra HP. This feeds directly fron the exhaust port. It does not smoke.

If you set the engine up right with lateral gas ports, run a 4-5 stage dry sump system and seal the engine really well then you can actually pull a vaccum on the system with the dry sump pump. Good for maybe 10-15hp as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.