Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canadian 914 Parts & Services
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
balljoint
G'Day eh!,

I have owned my car for a few years, and I have made various purchases from the amazingly plentiful American sources for these cars. I have not, however, found very many Canadian sources of parts and/or services for the 914. On top of that, although we get the "low-down" on some of the problems experienced with some of the American companies, I haven't found any kudos or concerns related to businesses north of the 49th parallel.

So who do you deal with? Who is out there? And why or why not should I give them a call?

This might be of interest to my big brothers and sisters in the US of A too, as they may be able to score some things that they need at a low CDN $.

BTW any chance of a Canadian flag waving Smiley?
cool.gif
mike_the_man
Good to see another Canadian on here! There are a few of us here.

I'm afraid I don't really have an answer for your question. I order the majority of my parts from the states. Of course exchange sucks, and I get raped on shipping and customs charges. I've ordered a few things like plug wires, cap, rotor, etc from Auto Parts Plus, but for more specific parts I haven't found any good Canadian sources yet. There must be something out east your way. After all, you guys are the center of the universe. wink.gif

Good luck,
Mark Henry
G'day eh!

Welcome newbie!

I build engines (and machine parts) and can help you out with some of your parts needs. You can PM me through this site or 1-905-797-2677

Mike's 914 can help you with any repairs, resto, bodywork, paint and new, used or hard to find parts. Mike is a real good guy and his labour rate is hard to beat. I wish he would update his site as he moved from Oshawa about 6 months ago!
243 Industrial Park Rd., Colbourne ON (905)922-8987 (cell), (905)355-2703 (shop)
www.mikes914s.com
mikeg4@rogers.com

There is also Harmony Road in Oshawa, Alex is a good guy but he is sometimes a bit pricey. He's a 914 guy, total used parts whore, but tends to like the coin that the newer P-cars bring in. Don't know his number off-hand.

All of the above are east of T.O. (50 to 70 minutes) and not too far from the 401.

There is also your good ol' VW dealer or Paaff Porsche in T.O., very expensive but OK in a pinch.

Of course there is all the US places, but add at least 60%+ to the price for exchange, shipping, taxes, etc.

beerchug.gif
givory
... in Caledon - NW of Toronto - there is Dave Margolese at Eurotune 519 927 9929 for general 914 repairs/maintainance. He vintage races a 914 and preps several others [including mine].

Welcome to the fold ...
Gavin
VARAC #58 914/6
Ray Warren
As stated above, and one more that I know of.
PORSCHAPART.COM
balljoint
Thanks guys, keep 'em coming. Even parts sources across the country will be a good deal, no PST if you live in MB and buy from ON, and no customs concerns either.

Of course Toronto isn't the centre of the entire universe..................just the hockey universe. biggrin.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(balljoint @ May 11 2004, 06:26 AM)
 B)

Only if it's flown upside down - Eh? laugh.gif
balljoint
Only if it's flown upside down - Eh?

biggrin.gif Ah, a baseball fan..................as I recall they did hand over the World Series Trophy right-side up!

smilie_pokal.gif

Toronto Blue Jays
World Series Champs
1994 (by default)
Ray Warren
QUOTE(balljoint @ May 11 2004, 09:26 AM)

Why would you want to do such a thing for a country that fucks you up the ass every chance they get?
Have you bought any gas lately?
Have you paid any income tax lately?
How about your car insurance?
ect,ect.ect.
flag.gif
mike_the_man
I don't think that the US is any better off as far as gas prices, income tax, and insurrance goes. And we don't have Bush running the country, which is a huge bonus in my books. The only thing that I'm not too fond of here is the -40C winters. Don't be a Canada Hater. And, we have way better beer! beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(mike_the_man @ May 11 2004, 03:06 PM)
And, we have way better beer! beerchug.gif

Not true anymore. We get beer from all over the world, that is as good as, or better than Canadian beer, including some of our domestic beers.
balljoint
Why would you want to do such a thing for a country that fucks you up the ass every chance they get?

Ah yes, but it is not "Ask why your country is fucking you up the ass." But rather "In a free and democratic country where my bum is a bit sore, but I can go to the doctor and not worry too much about the invoice, who can I turn around and give "it" to myself?"

This is a famous quote, although I may have paraphrased a bit.

1. Canada is a Great Country.
2. Part of why we are a Great Country is our big brother (and apparently major 914 part provider) the good old US of A.
(pick a better neighbour)

3. There are definitely worse places to live.
(Just ask any immigrant)

4. Where do you get parts and/or services for a 914 in Barrie?

smile.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 11 2004, 12:18 PM)
QUOTE(mike_the_man @ May 11 2004, 03:06 PM)
And, we have way better beer!   beerchug.gif

Not true anymore. We get beer from all over the world, that is as good as, or better than Canadian beer, including some of our domestic beers.

I don't know how true that statement is.

I was in the US not to long ago and saw some "imported" Canadian beer, Labatts Blue, so I bought a 6 pack.
On my first swig I spit it out, NOT Canadian beer. A fine blend of pony piss, if I do say so myself.

Canada is a Great Country.

Our government is corrupt, whose isn't.

Our gas prices are high, so are the US prices right now, I do have a beef with this because road taxes (buried in the gas price) also goes up, but see above.

Our taxes are high, but my daughter was in hospital for 2 weeks earlier this year, cost us $1.50 per day (for the phone).

My car insurance is $1200/yr for 3 cars, I don't think that's too bad.

To quote balljoint "There are definitely worse places to live. (Just ask any immigrant)"
How totally true my friend.
#1RAGE
QUOTE(914ray @ May 11 2004, 11:27 AM)
QUOTE(balljoint @ May 11 2004, 09:26 AM)

Have you bought any gas lately?
Have you paid any income tax lately?
How about your car insurance?
ect,ect.ect.
flag.gif

wacko.gif

I pay $442.00 per year for my 914 insurrance. I'm a young male too btw.

It really depends what province not the country in general. If I lived in the next province to the west I might pay 10 times more for car insurrance.

What about American prescription drugs? clap56.gif

Ok enough of that. Back on topic...

I'd like to see more Canadian 914 part suppliers too. I'm thinking of ordering some parts from Porschapart. Does anyone have any experience with them?
Ray Warren
OKAY, OKAY

You guys are right.
It's been a long hard day.

4. Where do you get parts and/or services for a 914 in Barrie?

Volkswagen dealer, local parts store and have done all my own work with a lot of help from this forum.
No 914 parts in Barrie that i know of.

I'd like to see more Canadian 914 part suppliers too. I'm thinking of ordering some parts from Porschapart. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Yes I have, the guys name is Frank and he is pretty fair. Mostly other P car stuff, but he does have some 914 stuff.
The more you buy the better the price is.
tracks914
QUOTE(#1RAGE @ May 11 2004, 04:51 PM)

I've dealt with Frank @Porschapart a couple of times. He is fair and the more you buy the better the price is. He does know what the parts value is so you won't get anything for a great deal. You have to watch evilbay for that. The deal is even better if you go there in person to "pick up" your parts. rolleyes.gif
He has only parted out a few 914's and most of his business is newer 911's.
But with that said, if he has a part I need I will be back to buy from him, he's a fair, nice guy.

I tried Mike's 914's for a few parts but his prices were too high for me for used stuff.
turbo914v8
When and where are the Canadian 914 events? Do any of the Canadian 914 owners get together just for the hell of it. Have a beer, dinner or whatever. It would be nice to hang out with fellow 914 owners in Canada.

Regards,

Turbo Paul.
mike_the_man
Paul,

Where in Canada are you? I'm always willing to get together with a fellow car nut for beerchug.gif
GWN7
I tryed Pelican twice, first time it took over a month and 1/2 to get here. Second time never did show.

I don't need any parts. Reg the car last week (sunny & hot out), yesterday 8" snow with more coming down today. I'll never get to drive it so who needs parts. wink.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(GWN7 @ May 12 2004, 03:16 PM)
I tryed Pelican twice, first time it took over a month and 1/2 to get here. Second time never did show.

I don't need any parts. Reg the car last week (sunny & hot out), yesterday 8" snow with more coming down today. I'll never get to drive it so who needs parts. wink.gif

You mean ****GASP**** you don't drive your teener in the snow? unsure.gif

Where's the gusto and guts of "Nanook of The North" and "Sgt. Preston of the Yukon"?

My dreams have been crushed huh.gif
GWN7
When the snow is that deep, you can't drive it in the snow, ...................but mabey with a plow blade attached idea.gif

Plus the dogs from my dog sled get jellous when I only take one of them for a ride. biggrin.gif
morph
I've had some problems shipping stuff to Canada recently, the most recent package took over a month to arrive at its destination, and when the person recieved it, they said it was postmarked a week before he got it. I am unsure of why, if anyone knows, could they please explain to me. confused24.gif
tracks914
QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ May 12 2004, 12:43 PM)
When and where are the Canadian 914 events? Do any of the Canadian 914 owners get together just for the hell of it. Have a beer, dinner or whatever. It would be nice to hang out with fellow 914 owners in Canada.

Regards,

Turbo Paul.

Paul
Hey you live in Canada. Me too eh.
Wher the F--k in Canada do you live. It is a pretty big country you know. biggrin.gif

OT from earlier in the post, gas price for premium here just hit $109/L or about $440 a US gallon. (thanks GW Bush for going to the middle east and messing with the arabs) (They cut the wrong guys head off yesterday boid.gif
GWN7
It depends on where the package went to. I mailed 5 packages to the USA before Christmas. Oregon arrived in a week. The one to Ill. took over a month. the others went to CA and took just over a week to arrive.

My stuff from Pelican didn't arrive till I received a email asking if I was enjoying them and I wrote back saying I would, if they had arrived. 4 days later I received another email saying they would be shipped the following Friday. Great CS, Not!

The post mark thing would have me confused too. Was it the date stamp on the cancel mark or the date stamp on the postage meter that was a week before? If it was the cancel mark, that was when it cleared customs and went into the postal system up here.
morph
The guy I was dealing with has been pretty honest, so I don't think he was trying to screw me, but since I didn't have a tracking number, he would have won his case through pay pal and would have been refunded, but when it did arrive, very late, he did e-mail me and drop his pay pal case, but he informed me that it was postmarked May 5th, (arrived May 11th), and I have the carbon copy of the customs slip in my records that is stamped April 7th, I know when it was sent, I am the one that mailed it. I am assuming that it was held up in customs for some odd reason and they must've restamped it somewhere when it cleared customs, So I have been a little confused on the deal, and it has left me a little uneasy about using USPS to ship internationally, Pay Pal informed me that I need to use a shipping service with tracking numbers (i.e. FedEx UPS) but these can cost 3 times what usps costs. I don't want my customers upset at the shipping costs, because I sure wouldn't pay what they want for international shipping.

Hiedi
GWN7
Shipping up here by USPS is the cheapest way to do it. If you send anything by other means, those companys will bend the buyer over on the customs costs. (minumin charge + % of the value of the shipment)

Did this shipment go to Eastern Canada per chance? That could account for the delay.

The postmark is put on when the item clears customs (goes into Canada Posts hands for delivery)

Can't you get a tracking number with USPS? Let the buyer determine how it's to be shipped and if they want insurance on it. Tell them it can be held up in Customs.
morph
The only way to get a tracking number on the packages is through insurance(very limited), the man that I was dealing with told me several times that "it is probably held up in customs". He was actually trying to protect himself, and this is totaly understanding, The package went to Ancaster, Ontario. Oh Well, I have gathered some knowlege from the incident, so I came out of it a little more informed.

Hiedi
Mark Henry
QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ May 12 2004, 12:43 PM)

Regards,

Turbo Paul.

I'd be willing to put on a small get together, sometime over the summer, if people are interested.

A fun run, show and shine, lunch/dinner and camping the night before, I have the room for a show.
The thing is I'm quite busy, so I would need someone to promote it and figure out the fine details. I would help as much as I can but I won't do it alone.

I'm an hour east of Toronto. Let me know if there is any interest.
balljoint
I am game for a get-together. I just got my new bottle-o-gas and my MIG upgrade kit so if I get down to work maybe I will be on the road this summer.

That said, I guess I could always pin my 914 badging on the pick-up and use my imagination.
rolleyes.gif
turbo914v8
I am currently living in Courtice, just 30 min East of Toronto. I am game for all future events or meetings, what ever. My 914 is not on the street as of yet, but will be soon. Just minor little jobs left. How many times have you heard that? lol.

Regards,

Turbo Paul.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.