Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Those Two Air Deflectors Under The Car ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
euro911
My '75 2.0L has a set of them, my wife's '71 1.7L does not. My understanding is that they help to improve engine cooling.

We want to keep the '71 as close to stock as possible, but would like to know if anyone has retro-fitted them to early cars? ... and was it worth the effort? (cooling improvement).
Cairo94507
All I can add is that my '73 2.0 had them when I bought it new. I recall being told that Porsche added them to reduce underbody lift on their race cars or something so they added them to the 914.
Tom_T
They added them in 73 MY (73-76 has them), primarily to improve cooling air flow to the mid-mounted engine, particularly on adding the 2.0 to the line-up.

Nothing to do with downforce & racing AFAIK.
Eric_Shea
They create a pocket of lower pressure under the engine which in turn draws more air through the grill and is very effective at improving the cooling so... 73 and yes... all years would benifit.

When attempting to build my GT clone, it was one of the things I left on my later tub, even thought it wouldn't have been around in 1970:

IPB Image
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 17 2011, 07:18 PM) *

All I can add is that my '73 2.0 had them when I bought it new. I recall being told that Porsche added them to reduce underbody lift on their race cars or something so they added them to the 914.

Geez! Car salesmen!
Pat
Cairo94507
Well it is true they will say anything to sell a car. I was 18 and listened to anything too. But I also learned something here and will have to add those little flaps to the underside of my six to improve cooling....plus they look so cool!
euro911
Well all-righty then ... I'll be looking for some smile.gif

Thanks for all the replies beerchug.gif
RFoulds
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 19 2011, 09:40 PM) *

Well all-righty then ... I'll be looking for some smile.gif

Thanks for all the replies beerchug.gif

They are also on the Boxster and the Cayman, for the same reason. You might find those ones to see if they fit if OE cant be found.
TurbOH Brad
The OE ones are discontinued and are very hard to find. I have never seen one that wasn't on a car, and even then, they are few and far between.

Seems like someone could start reproducing these (QUALITY over quantity) and there would be a somewhat limited market for them. biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Brad @ Auto Atlanta @ Jun 4 2011, 12:40 PM) *

The OE ones are discontinued and are very hard to find. I have never seen one that wasn't on a car, and even then, they are few and far between.

Seems like someone could start reproducing these (QUALITY over quantity) and there would be a somewhat limited market for them. biggrin.gif

Mikey914 - are you listening? Not my cuppa but there seems to be a need.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 17 2011, 01:26 PM) *

My '75 2.0L has a set of them, my wife's '71 1.7L does not. My understanding is that they help to improve engine cooling.

We want to keep the '71 as close to stock as possible, but would like to know if anyone has retro-fitted them to early cars? ... and was it worth the effort? (cooling improvement).

Mark,
I'll have to say that my 72 has never experienced vapor lock. It has always run as intended. IMO, if you haven't experienced heat related problems on your 71 - leave it alone. The flaps can be easily reproduced, and there may be a market for them. Not certain they are necessary on early 914's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.