Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I bled my brakes and now I can't
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
Hi all

after bleeding my brakes and attaining a higher, stiffer brake pedal, i can no longer heel-toe. simply, the brake pedal doesn't travel far enough to the floor to permit my foot to "roll over" to the throttle pedal. brake is too high/throttle is too low.

this is severely impairing the joy of driving my car!!! any suggestions?

MDB2.gif

nathan
TheCabinetmaker
Don't heel toe? biggrin.gif
nebreitling
not helping, CURT!

slap.gif

beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Sorry Nathan, I just couldn't resist. Maybe bleed a little more fluid out. That will let the pedal go further down before braking starts, but braking power should not diminish.
nebreitling
just play'n!

i'll try that... wavey.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(nebreitling @ May 11 2004, 12:03 PM)
any suggestions?

get bigger feet? biggrin.gif
nebreitling
my 'feet' are big enough, thank you very much.
TheCabinetmaker
Damn, no respect!
SirAndy
you can adjust the brake pedal down a bit and try to adjust the accel pedal up a bit.

if that still doesn't get you close, you could extend the accel-pedal rod or put a block of wood on top of the accel pedal.

i actually have the same problem, but i don't need to heel-toe wink.gif

i just shift faster and blip the throttle when i'm done braking before i release the clutch. hard to describe, but it works well if you're fast enough ...

brake really hard, while still on the brake (towards the very end of braking) step on the clutch, then get off the brake, blip throttle while releasing the clutch and step on the gas.

all that within a 10th of a second. werks for me ...
driving.gif Andy

PS: sometimes you actually WANT the rear to unsettle and don't blip on purpose. it can help you to get your ass around those tight corners after a long straight ...
mike_the_man
What about one of those fancy pedal covers that extends the gas pedal. They're supposed to work pretty good, I think. Or, even just a pedal cover on the gas pedal might raise it up enough to be able to heel-toe. Just a couple of thoughts.
drew365
I know the shoes I wear have a lot to do with how well I can heel, toe. Driving shoes work the best, sneakers are too clumsy. I have an aluminum extention on my gas pedal to close the gap some. I like it.
TimT
Maybe bleed a little more fluid out

err are you serious?

that wont make any difference at all!!!

Adjust the pedals...Both the brake and gas pedal have a range of adjustment available

PS: sometimes you actually WANT the rear to unsettle and don't blip on purpose. it can help you to get your ass around those tight corners after a long straight ...

yeap steering with the brakes and throttle beerchug.gif
SLITS
Learn to roll your ankle a little farther or have a stub surgically attached so you can reach the gas pedal. lol2.gif

Of course you can always apply for a handicap sticker and install a hand throttle - of course this would negate choking your chicken while driving huh.gif
RAR
There are, of course, aftermarket pedals that are adjustable. Some are kind of pricey it's true. You might consider changing your technique from a knee kick/ foot roll, to a twist your heel out method. For the latter, having an extension on the lower left of the throttle pedal helps (true heel/toeing). You could take a piece of aluminum and make your own pedal or pedal cover in the form of a simple overlay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.