Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new ignition system....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
OK, first question.... I have a stock 1973 2.0L. I hate setting point gap even more than warm beer huh.gif . Suggestions or recommendations on an upgraded system would be most appreciated. For now the car is going to be strictly street, no AX or other until the wife is certain I will not kill myself in the new toy.

Thanks,

Scott
Gint
On all of ny 4 cylinder cars I could pop the dizzy, reset point gap and re-install in less than 10 minutes. Prolly could have beat that down to 5 if there was a free beer award afterwards. You'll get differing opinions about electronic pickup units. Some people like Pertronics, some don't. There's the Crane optical and probably others. I never did anything but stock in a 4 cylinder car.
Rusty
Pertronix sucks.....if you are lazy like me, the Crane unit is the best.... blink.gif
scottb
hey mike, is the crane you are referring to the xr700 or the xr3000? the xr700 would appear to be a pretty good bang for the buck.

Thanks,

Scott
Brad Roberts
The XR 700 works fine. The Pertronix works fine if your using a 050 dizzy. If you have the factory dizzy with the vaccuum canister... the small wires for the Pertronix will break sooner or later as the plate moves every time your on and off the gas.

B
jamez
I had a Crane (predecessor to the latest one mentioned above) and it worked incredibly well and is an extremely durrable unit (someone mounted mine to the actual engine sheet metal but I suggest mounting it to the firewall where there's less vibration). I understand there are only few modifications one can do to performance wise on a stock FI setup and this is one of the first things I would recommend, (aside from a smaller Momo or Fitipauldi steering wheel and koni shocks, albeit I liked my oil shocks better than the newer gas type as well as 195 Pirellis although my Yokahomas were OK too but too sticky, I enjoyed the extra slide the pirellis provided, most want sticky though ). Anyways, I loved my Crane, install it and forget about it, the little plastic rotor for the optical seemed to last forever too =). These electronic ignitions are a great upgrade to the 14, especially if the cam lobes are worn and the dwell is too out of whack requiring a smaller gab that burns points faster too. Many benefits, and I know Crane worked awesomely for me.
9144guy
I work in a porsche /race shop, and i have installed 10 to 15 fireball kits, and they work great, no cust. complaints, and they will go all weekend at the track. if you dont have a kit i suggest using a dwell macheine, if you can get a hold of one. welder.gif to set your gap sould be set at 48 deg. of dwell
jwalters
biggrin.gif I am using the crane--phenomenal difference to the better when setting timing--damned marks are no longer jumping all over the place--rock solid, and because my motor was so tired I could now set the advance waaaaay up and get back some power--couldn't do that with points! beer.gif
Aaron Cox
pertonix in my 050. never a problem. great stuff
scotty914
does anybody have a worn out dizzy they want to have it rebushed for shipping only. although they might get it back ruined, i want to see if i can repair one and i dont have any dizzys at all. basicly if i can figure it out i will offer it as a service.
Joe Ricard
How about a 009 in a bag. all the parts are there just never put it back together. That will separate the men from the boys.
scotty914
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 10 2005, 07:12 PM)
How about a 009 in a bag. all the parts are there just never put it back together. That will separate the men from the boys.

sure send it to me, do you still have my address.
Mueller
I'm happy with my Mallory Unilite...brand new distibutor with electronics to replace the points....
scotty914
i am perfectly happy with my dis system, not dizzy, no rotor, no cap, etc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.