Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Easy question, need answer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Does anyone here know what the colors are of the wires for the coil and which terminal they go on? I am having a brain fart and cant figure it out. Help!
skline
Maybe someone could walk out to their car and take a look. That wont take long. I just need to know which wire goes where. Anyone?
Levi
Well shit what a bunch of lazy fucks.. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I'm going out NOW...
Levi
oh sure... I got my hands dirty again laugh.gif laugh.gif

Black = +
Green & Tan? = -
skline
Thanks Levi, unfortunatly, that didnt help much, I have a black with blue stripe, black with a red stripe, and a green from the distributor. It has carbs on it.
Levi
QUOTE(skline @ May 11 2004, 06:35 PM)
Thanks Levi, unfortunatly, that didnt help much, I have a black with blue stripe, black with a red stripe, and a green from the distributor. It has carbs on it.

Scott,
I looked at 2 of my cars, the 74 1.8 FI car has 2 blacks going to the + side and green & white or tan (couldn't tell the real color) going to going to - side

The 74 2.0 is carbed and it had 1 black + and Green & tan to the -

I'm going out to the shop Now to check the blacks wires again and I'll also look at my 73 1.7 be right back
Levi
Ok here is what I found.

Update on the neg. side Green (goes to dist.) the tan and also i found a black with a red stipe on it.

The pos. side has blacks with no stripes
skline
Thanks, I will go try that
skline
Well, its dark out now and I cant see shit, I think I will just wait till morning and try it again when I can see. Maybe I can get my neighbor to help me by turning it over so I can make sure I am getting spark. Cause it aint doing shit now. Thanks for your help.
Levi
Let me know, I can do more checking if you need it... beerchug.gif
maf914
Man, this thread is like the battle of the boobs!

By the way, I'm talking about the avatars. laugh.gif
skline
The bigger the better the tighter the sweater, thats what I have always heard. Still need some color codes and locations for a 2 liter with carbs. Anyone else with any ideas? Its a bosch coil. I have a thin black wire with a blue stripe, and thick black wire with a red stripe, and a green wire coming from the coil. The white or tan wire has never been hooked up. It ran before I just dont remember the combination.
Levi
QUOTE(skline @ May 12 2004, 06:56 AM)
The bigger the better the tighter the sweater, thats what I have always heard. Still need some color codes and locations for a 2 liter with carbs. Anyone else with any ideas? Its a bosch coil. I have a thin black wire with a blue stripe, and thick black wire with a red stripe, and a green wire coming from the coil. The white or tan wire has never been hooked up. It ran before I just dont remember the combination.

Ok, lets try this again
This is on my 2 liter W/carbs.

Green, white and black w/red go to the - Neg

Black, go to + Positive,......... It looks like a plain black wire to me
skline
The thin wire loks all black till you look really close and it looks like a thin blue stripe on it. At first glance it looks all black, I will try that when I get back from work later this morning and see if it works. I have a white wire in the harness but it has never been hooked up to anything since the carb conversion. Does anyone know what it is for?
tat2dphreak
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electr...al_diagrams.htm

Levi is right, but I think on my '72, at least, it's a black wire with a purple stripe...
Levi
QUOTE(skline @ May 12 2004, 07:05 AM)
The thin wire loks all black till you look really close and it looks like a thin blue stripe on it. At first glance it looks all black, I will try that when I get back from work later this morning and see if it works. I have a white wire in the harness but it has never been hooked up to anything since the carb conversion. Does anyone know what it is for?

I'll take a closer look when I go out to the shop
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(skline @ May 12 2004, 09:05 AM)
I have a white wire in the harness but it has never been hooked up to anything since the carb conversion. Does anyone know what it is for?

you are right... all white wires went to FI, according to the wiring diagrams... that wire should NOT be hooked up
lapuwali
The wire from the ignition points in the distributor needs to go to the - post on the coil. Should be easy enough to trace. ANY wire that carries switched +12 can go to the + post. That should be enough to get the car running.

Whatever wire is left over is probably the tach wire, and needs to go to the - post on the coil.
mike_the_man
This is going by memory, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. The green wire that comes from the dizzy goes to the - terminal. The thin black wire with a blue? stripe goes to the - terminal, that drives the tach. The thick black wire goes to the positive terminal. It should have power when the key is on.
skline
Well, I just couldnt wait till I got home from work and went out and hooked it up like that and it still didnt fire. So I started checking and found I had no fuel. So I went up and checked the fuel pump and verified the connections and then opened up the air cleaners and started getting gas. It fired right up. Runs good too. I am happy now. I think I will drive it around today for awhile. Thanks to all who assisted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.