Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I spent two days at the best autocross venue in Sac this weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ConeDodger
Don't get me wrong it was great and I had a really good time but 8 minutes of driving??? dry.gif

I'm going to the track rolleyes.gif
BMXerror
Yup. Autocross is not for everybody. Some people (me included) enjoy the challenge of having to put it down in a few short runs with no practice. I just ran my first Prosolo last weekend. Three exhausting days and a considerable amount of money invested for twelve >50 second runs. Best time I've had in a long time! piratenanner.gif That doesn't make me an idiot. I just love the competition and the comradery.
That being said, if I could afford to be road racing, I would be. evilgrin.gif
Mark D.
PeeGreen 914
Wow, your regoin is expensive. That same two days up here would only be $50. Saturday with PCA and Sunday with SCCA and a minimum of 12 runs poke.gif

All though we don't have all the national champs up here that you do. confused24.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Apr 17 2011, 08:32 PM) *

Yup. Autocross is not for everybody. Some people (me included) enjoy the challenge of having to put it down in a few short runs with no practice. I just ran my first Prosolo last weekend. Three exhausting days and a considerable amount of money invested for twelve >50 second runs. Best time I've had in a long time! piratenanner.gif That doesn't make me an idiot. I just love the competition and the comradery.
That being said, if I could afford to be road racing, I would be. evilgrin.gif
Mark D.

Road racing and Karting is fun. It takes a lot of time and money. I prefer autocross as it is an easy one or two day deal and generally great people. I am going to give my son the opportunity to do Karting competitively but only so long as he works for it smile.gif
BMXerror
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 17 2011, 08:34 PM) *

Wow, your regoin is expensive. That same two days up here would only be $50. Saturday with PCA and Sunday with SCCA and a minimum of 12 runs poke.gif

All though we don't have all the national champs up here that you do. confused24.gif

It's California. Everything is expensive. I think it just costs more to rent the venues. And yes, we have lots of national champs. The team I'm with this year has 4!.... Of course, they're all of the same bloodline. biggrin.gif Great group to learn from, though.
Mark D.
Andyrew
Give me an autox school any day of the week.

3-4 hours of driving for under $100 and you have plenty of time to inspect the car before going out on a run.

Ya, I like those...
Randal
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 17 2011, 10:53 PM) *

Give me an autox school any day of the week.

3-4 hours of driving for under $100 and you have plenty of time to inspect the car before going out on a run.

Ya, I like those...

John Seidell's autox school is coming up shortly. A one day course and you get tons of driving time with instructors.
Andyrew
No car to drive... sad.gif

The 914 is being finished now, but no way in hell i'd give that trani that much of a beating in a weekend.

The CRX has its share of problems, but I am planning on autoxing it this season after I address them. (One issue in particular is a clunking coming from the trani.... possibly a worn diff pin, needless to say im taking it easy for the time being).

The Audi's turbo is blown, and I dont have 2k to fix it..

The 944 turbo is dads, and he's not autoxing it at the moment for various reasons.
J P Stein
Autocross is an aquired taste.
Had you gone to a SCCA National Tour event your 85 buck entry fee would have gotten you 6 runs.....3 per day. However, if you & your car are good enough you can win 2 new Hoosiers.....or 1 for 2nd place....400-600 bucks worth if you win your class(assuming 5 other cars are entered in it).. That helps pay for the weekend. Brit & the shitbox won 6-8 tires over the years.

An Pro Solo win can net ya 1000-1500 bucks, IIRC.

Competition is not for everybody but you can go to a track & compete with yourself by driving "Flat Out". biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 18 2011, 05:28 PM) *

"Flat Out". biggrin.gif

lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
I'll still autocross... I have since 1980 so no sense stopping now. I just want more seat time.
grantsfo
Hey I did that this weekend! I drove Flat Out! And Fast and Furious! piratenanner.gif Did NASA Time Trail Series at T Hill. I love the NASA Time Trial Series. Its interesting as in TT you run 4 sessions a day that are all timed. Your best run from day one is taken and best run from day two is added for total time. To add a twist you grid by your fastest time during sessions. I started way back first day in 19th spot out of 40 cars and moved to 10 by Sunday. Other cool thing is your on track with everyone at the same time. Its like a controlled race. Both Nissan and Hoosier offer contingencies as well.

Here's my new drift beast "Shamu" in action.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
PeeGreen 914
Good thing it doesn't look like someone riced that sucker out blink.gif poke.gif

but seriously that does look like fun piratenanner.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 20 2011, 04:03 PM) *

Good thing it doesn't look like someone riced that sucker out blink.gif poke.gif

but seriously that does look like fun piratenanner.gif

I like meat with my rice. chowtime.gif

Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 18 2011, 11:43 PM) *

I'll still autocross... I have since 1980 so no sense stopping now. I just want more seat time.

If you ever want a bunch of time on a AX course to sort out your car or whatever, LPR is pretty accommadating about setting something up. Of couse it will cost bucks, but having a course and time to do what you need is priceless.

Rich Walton did this for his customers 908. So all in all pretty cool to watch a 908 tear around the Marina all day. Yea, he did have TTOD.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 21 2011, 03:44 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 18 2011, 11:43 PM) *

If you ever want a bunch of time on a AX course to sort out your car or whatever, LPR is pretty accommadating about setting something up. Of couse it will cost bucks, but having a course and time to do what you need is priceless.

Rich Walton did this for his customers 908. So all in all pretty cool to watch a 908 tear around the Marina all day. Yea, he did have TTOD.

Enduro? Love it! Sac SCCA does one as their end of year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.