Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sometimes I just don't understand my wife
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
We've been talking about what to pack for our week in San Francisco. Gerry and I wanted to take our golf clubs but decided against it since there is only 1 day we don't already have plans for and space is kinda limited (We need a third trunk). Once we eliminated the golf clubs I was feeling pretty confident we could pack all the tools and spare parts and at least 1 change of clothes.smilie_pokal.gif

So, the wife decides she needs chairs for the AX on Saturday. I agree that's a good idea since standing around all day will get old. I'm thinkin we'll find some cheap camp stools down there or something. Anyway, I don't see any threat to my packing plans. Wrong.unsure.gif She finds camp chairs with foot stools for 3.99 each on sale. Wife loves a bargain so she gets them and now she wants me to take them in the car.The 2 together are the size of my golf bag. So much for a change of clothes. If I get too ripe throw me in the pool. sad.gif

Dave
ArtechnikA
you can pack a surprising amount of stuff between the front of the passenger seat and the bulkhead. i can't recall the last time i actually needed a spare tire (okay - it might be a good idea for a long roadtrip, but then you need the jack and lug wrench too ...) But these cars hold A LOT.

when i attended the Portland, OR Parade we drove from San Diego straight through - with a (small) floor jack and complete detailing supplies for the conccours, track stuff for the autocross (2 helmets, various accessories...) and clothes for 2 for a week.

soft-sided luggage is a must.

(and i have it on good authority that they sell camp chairs in San Francisco too, and for $8 total investment, they could be left there... but that's irrelevant of course biggrin.gif )
Rocky
OK Dave, wife in the trunk, golf bag in passanger seat and chuck the chairs.

Glad I could help.

Tim biggrin.gif
DNHunt
Tim

I better not try that approach. I'll be the one that ends up in the trunk blink.gif
boxstr
Taking the Jeep and a tow dolly with a car. I should have plenty of room to rent out biggrin.gif Drop them off Dave and I will take them down for you.
If you know which courses you are going to play, you might call ahead and find out if they have rental clubs, best way to go for a short trip and no room.
CCLINPISTOLPACKINMAMA
Mueller
you could always UPS the items not needed for the actual driving trip down here so that you don't have to worry about packing them in the car.....
Howard
Golf clubs?

Great idea smilie_pokal.gif Someone local get us a time. Clothes? We don't need no estinkin clothes!

Should we start another topic? My wife is verrrry understanding rolleyes.gif
Jenny
How tall (or short) is your wife? I always pack a TON of stuff, but I compensate by stashing a lot of it in a duffle bag underneath my feet. Just sit indian style. smile.gif

Shove the chairs in the trunk, and everything that needed to be moved around infront of her feet. She's gotta sacrifice some leg room for her chairs with ottomans.

Jen
Red-Beard
Where is your spare tire?

I moved the spare to the alternate rear position. With the wood shelf and the spare tire moved, the front trunks fit so much stuff.

I fit 3 901 transmissions with some room to spare in the front trunk.

With spare in the back, a smaller camp chair fits cross wise in the rear trunk. I repack my tools into rollable cloth tool holders instead of large bulky tool boxes. This way they fit with the spare in the back, along with oil and other essential.

If you think there may be rain. Put plastic in the bottom of the front trunk and fold over the luggage.

Take 2 small bags and put them on the sides of the passenger foot well. This will allow you to place a duffle bag on top and still give your wife maximum leg room.
Demick
Just take one chair - for her - you want to make sure she is comfortable. You won't need a chair. I used to bring chairs to autocrosses, but stopped because I almost never used them. You'll either be working or driving the whole day. The only exception is lunch.

Demick
DNHunt
Actually the cars are for the wife and the daughter. They're flying down. My son is riding shotgun with me and he's about 5' 11 so there's not much room there. We'll find a way to make it work. I just had a hard time with the thought process. Oh well. Gotta go fix an exhaust leak or we aren't going anywhere.

Dave
mike_the_man
Just remember this: Women are crazy! After you get that through your head, everything they do makes so much more sense. wink.gif
fiid
You need one of these:

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.as...t_id=11&sku=675

Someone handy with photoshop??

Fiid.

boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif lol2.gif
East coaster
If I read your title correctly, then I assume that sometimes you DO understand your wife. That's what I find scary! laugh.gif
rezron
I've got a factory 4 bolt compact spare (never been on the ground) if it helps anybody gain more space!

rezron
PatW
Not long ago the wife stuffed two chairs. Pup Tent. 36mm Camara w/accessories. Binoculars. Six-Pack of Beer. Sandwiches. Six-Pack of soda. Radio with speakers. Ice, Cups, and everything else she could think of and off we want to watch WSB at Laguna Seca.
I bitched and moned about all the sh!t I had to pack in my 914. Then when we got there I had to lug the 40lb cooler she had to pack up on the hill above turn four, along with everything else I brought. As we got settled she asked me if I wanted grapes, Ice tea, soda with ice, BEER, ham & cheese sandwiches. I tuned in the race on the local broadcast. She thought of everything. I told her if I ever complain again about how much she obssess about packing. To just remind me about Laguna Seca.

She's still a packrat laugh.gif

Pat
maf914
You really can pack a lot of stuff into a 914 if you plan carefully. My one gripe is that you can't get much of a cooler into one though. But I've put a small one in the front trunk (with spare in place) or on the passenger side floor (with passenger).

Mike
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(maf914 @ May 13 2004, 05:09 AM)
...you can't get much of a cooler into one though. ...

i bet one of these would fit between the seats... (it's 7-1/2" w) i used one in the cab of the truck(s) on my move(s) East and having immediate access to something cold can be very refreshing on a long drive. the cold space isn't huge but if you replace what you take out right away, it'll be cold enough when you need it...

just a thought...
blabla914
"I fit 3 901 transmissions with some room to spare in the front trunk."

Red Beard, you're my kind of guy.

Once I got the offer that I could strip a 914 that was badly rusted for whatever I wanted , for free. The catch was my 914 was my only car! You should have seen the guys face when I got all the mechanicals except engine and tranny in my car. In hind sight it was really stupid since the car didn't stop or turn very well at all. I made a separate trip for the doors.

Kelly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.