Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blabla914
Guys,

I'm curious to know what people are using for brake pads on STREET cars that get run in time trials and DE events. Are you really running street pads and then switch to a race pad like a Hawk Blue or Performance friction 80 at the event?

I've been running non descript street pads on a 914-6 that has 911E fronts and 914-6 stock rear rotors with -4 rear calipers. I like the bias of this setup and I NEED an e-brake since I drive this car every day during the summer. I've tried no e-brake and it's a haze. This car currently runs on 205-50-15 Victoracers all around on 7" wide rims. Non descript pads with no ducts are really not up to the task. Plenty of fade and venting clearance that needs to be adjusted like every hour of track time is the result. That's taking it easy on them.

Of course some effective ducting is in the works, but I'm thinking something like a Hawk HP Plus in conjunction with the ducting might work well for me. Your experiences please.

Thanks for the help.

Kelly
Jeff Bonanno
brakes in CT? i used the snowbanks on the roadside to slow down back east.
ArtechnikA
i used street pads in my 914.6 in the CA desert (Holtville, Riverside, Willow Springs...) Holtville is an airport course -- l-o-n-g straights, tight turns. damned hard on brakes. current street pads are much better nowadays. i'd get something like an AJ-USA brake ducting kit and use common sense (use the cooldown lap for cooling down ...) and you'll probably be fine. bleed fluid early and often ...

anyway - MetalMasters, maybe, or one of the street ceramic brands.

most people use too much brake anyway - so - don't :-)
seanery
porterfield r4s pads.
blabla914
What kind of tires were you running in the CA desert? It's the stick from the modern tires that seems to have made the most difference in the strain on the brakes. I didn't have any problems either with a warmed up 4 with stock 4 brakes back before sticky R compound tires were available.
Though I think you're correct in the assertion that good ducts and sensible driving are preferable over high temp pads.
MMMMM.....R4S looks like a good pick. I had forgotten about porterfield.

Thanks,

Kelly
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(blabla914 @ May 12 2004, 05:11 PM)
What kind of tires were you running in the CA desert?

Pirelli CN36 ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.