Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Half broken door handle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
Here's a pic that explains it pretty well. Can a tiny weld fix this, is it made of metal? Or any other suggestion on a fix?

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
I think it is made of shitty pot metal. I do not know of a sucsessful weld.
Eric_Shea
get a new one.
URY914
Take the lock out and throw it away.
KELTY360
Half broken is like half pregnant. shades.gif
biggy72
Is there anywhere to get new pins? I'm going to have to rebuild at least one outer handle and one inner, but we may have to do both sides before it's over.

I just bought a pair of handles for parts. I posted something about this yesterday, but didn't get much of a response. New handles are $125 a piece at pelican and a new flapper piece is $99 at Autoatlanta. I only paid $20 for the pair of handles because they have other issues, but the flappers looked to be in ok shape.
Montreal914
Didn't someone recently post that he has a fix for handles? I thought I saw a picture where he was adding a piece on the backside confused24.gif .
biggy72
URY914 does for adding the rear tab back on, but it doesn't fix anything else. It's a pretty common problem though and it's definitely a nice way to fix them cheaply.

He has some pictures of fixed handles in his blog:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...blogid=237&
Drums66
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 18 2011, 05:00 PM) *

get a new one.

.....Or a good used 1 idea.gif (pot metal-get pissed trying to weld)
bye1.gif
patssle
Bummer! Oh well. New ones are expensive. I'll look for a used one. Or if anybody has one? idea.gif
Eric_Shea
Is there anywhere to get new pins?

I believe an M6 cap head fastener will work.
trojanhorsepower
Has any one tried this?

http://www.muggyweld.com/potmetal.html
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Apr 19 2011, 02:42 PM) *

They use it on trim or pieces that do not see any stress like the pivot on the door handle. I don't think it would be strung enough.
URY914
Why do you need new pins? You can file the end off to get it apart and still reuse the pin. Also the AA replacement flappers are not the same size as stock unless he found a new supplier. You need to buy up broken OEM ones to get the good flappers.
MartyYeoman
Been there, Fixed that.
Get new/better flapper, take the thing apart and repair it.
You'll save $$ over buying a new unit.
Marty
70-914nut
i have a couple of handles
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.