Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: muffler or hanger wrong?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
ok, I hung 1.7/1.8 Stainless H/Es on my new engine... they went on fine for the most part... did have to bend(gently) a couple of the ex. studs back into alignment... I then put the same muffler system on that was on the previous 1.7 H/Es(not stainless)... it lined up with a little persuasion as well... NOW, the muffler bracket is NOT lining up at all! it almost looks like the H/Es are too close together to use that bracket!

anyone else have this problem? what to do?
davep
There can be a couple of issues. First, make sure all the parts are from the same family; that is, you cannot intermix 2.0 and 1.7/1.8 parts. Second, always attach all parts together loose to start with, then start to tighten everything up. I always begin at the heads and work back. The HX's, muffler and hanger have to be loose until everything is connected.
Joseph Mills
Wayne,

There are 2 different hangers and 2 different headers, one for 2.0 and one for 1.7/1.8s. Since you say "NOT lining up at all", you may have a PO that may have mis-matched a hanger, or the headers themselves. wacko.gif

By the way, the 1.7/1.8 headers are deemed to be better performance wise than the 2.0 headers. My 2.0 has the backdated headers.

If they are just a "little bit" off, then use the loosened parts technique Dave mentioned. My Triad muffler just BARELY fits on the hanger, so part of what you may be running into is a lack of tolerances that accomodates an easy fit.

Good luck with it.
Joe Ricard
hey man I got a 1.7L/1.8L hanger if ya need it.
tat2dphreak
I think it's what Dave said... I just need to loosen things up and adjust... I hadn't tried that yet!

I have 2 hangers(matching), both were used on 1.7 H/Es / Mufflers before... so I don't know what the deal is... whatever I have, I have 2 of them :|

can someone post pics of 1.7 vs. 2.0 hangers so I can see which I have 2 of?

thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot! I'll also try and remember to take my camera to the garage for pics!
SirAndy
guys ...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
tat2dphreak
yea,yea,yea... I'll get pics tonight of the problem...

thanks again guys for the help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.