Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metal dash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
The naughahyde is peeling off the dash on my car. Isn't there someone who makes metal facing for the dash?
McMark
It's been talked over a few times, but I don't recall anyone stepping up to do a production run on them.
abnrdo
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 18 2011, 08:27 PM) *

It's been talked over a few times, but I don't recall anyone stepping up to do a production run on them.

I have been thinking about this as well. Someone had made some aluminum facing and had it for sale on EBay. I would make some kits, but I do not have a laser cutting machine.
jim_hoyland
There is a thread here where someone started the process and possibly made up a digital ( cad ? ) diagram.
76-914
Elliott, that Ebay stuff is a plastic overlay that is tinted different colors. I think it might peel off as well one day. I'll bring a burled piece to G&R's event that might catch your eye.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 19 2011, 06:47 AM) *

Elliott, that Ebay stuff is a plastic overlay that is tinted different colors. I think it might peel off as well one day. I'll bring a burled piece to G&R's event that might catch your eye.

Thanks. See ya there.
r_towle
Go to a sign shop...get some sign vinyl.
Take the plate off and clean it..sand it and prime it.
Stick on whatever vinyl you want (I did the color of my car) and cut out the openings with a razor knife from behind.

Rich
stugray
I always thought this would be cool:

http://ezfauxdecor.com/StainlessSteelSoftMetalFilm.html

No need for laser cutting, you could do it with an exacto.

OR:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel/=by6c43

Stu
tracks914
Stainless Steel door kick plates worked great for me. I was a lot of work but I like the final product. I never thought about measuring them and putting them into CAD.
MoveQik
9Xauto.com sells dash face kits. If you didn't want to go the CAD route, you could buy one of their kits, trace it on what ever material you choose, then cut it out and return their kit. I have their carbon fiber kit and it fits really nice. biggrin.gif
proto31
Elliot, I've got some really cool carbon fiber that was left over from some composite rotor blades I helped build back in college, it's really wide weave, really thin prepreg that was bagged and cooked... If you'd like to go the carbon look let me know and I'll bring the piece I have to Ron's. It should be enough to cut out what you need for the dash.

Dan
JmuRiz
I've got material too...just don't have a good pattern...anyone have a pattern with dimensions on it?
nsr-jamie
Quote" I have been thinking about this as well. Someone had made some aluminum facing and had it for sale on EBay. I would make some kits, but I do not have a laser cutting machine. "

I have a 5 axis laser cutting machine but no aluminum facing and drawings. biggrin.gif Maybe we should get in touch with each other. I have thought about this too. Honestly I have never laser cut aluminum before (just steel based) but I think I could pull it off with the correct dimensions and drawings in Metric (no US imperial system please), adjust the conditions from steel to alloy and see how it works. I have heard you need to be careful when you laser cut aluminum cause of the reflectiveness it gives off. I am sure with my machine and programming skills and the right materials and drawings we can come up with a nice little prototype

Or we could CNC machine them??? but than I would need to build some kind of jig
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.