Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical gremlin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
I'm still blowing the #9 fuse for the blinkers and brakes. Seems the hand brake buzzer is affected too. anything else on the circuit? There doesn't seem to be any consitency as to when it blows, and I can't make it blow by hitting the brakes or using turn signals. The roughest RR track will not make it blow. It will go all day sometimes, then just blow at idle. I've inspected, detected, and been rejected by every wire, and connection at every signal and both brakes. I can find no nicks in any wire. I was thinkin about moving the brakes to a different fuse, and trying to isolate whether its the brake or signals. Will this work?

Thanks, Curt
TheCabinetmaker
Wow, not one reply? Are all you guys dumber than me? Com'n, anyone? Am I all alone here?
JWest
Fuse #9 also feeds the back-up lights and the idiot lights in the gauges.

The only other fuse you can use is #8, as that is the only other key-switched fuse.

The problem with isolating is that the 3 wires that come from the fuse are connected into one terminal at the fuse box connection, so you'd have to cut this apart to isolate.

The Black/Yellow feeds the brakes, BU lights, and the center console temp gauge and volmeter power.
One Red/White feeds the warning lights, tach, and fuel gauge power.
The other Red White feeds the turn signals (through the hazard switch).
TheCabinetmaker
Thanks James. This gives me some more places to check. Didn't know about the back up lights, they don't work any way. I wonder if my flaps has those little plug connectors? This would explain why the tach and gas gauge quit, and alternator light comes on when I hit the brake.
JWest
There are a number of different sizes of the the bullet terminals available. The ones used in the transmission switch on the 914 are fairly large, so if you can't find the right ones you can usually spread the bullet at its seam to make it fit.
TheCabinetmaker
Ya see? Persistance does wear down resistance!

James, I just went and checked. I had taped and zip tied the backup light connectors out of the way last year when I reinstalled the engine. The zip tie had broken and the ends of the wire were very close (2mm) to the heat exchanger. I suspect this is may be the problem. We'll find out

Thanks, Curt. I owa ya a beer at MUSR this year beerchug.gif pray.gif
Greg
VSG914, you may be onto the solution. I had this problem too. Turned out that my back-up light switch (at the transmission) was shot and would cause the fuse to blow every time I put it in reverse.
You may want to try puting elect. tape on the wire ends to eliminate the possibility of them shorting the fuse. Good luck.
TheCabinetmaker
Yeah Greg, It looks like the culprit. I'll have to drive it to see, but its raining hard and hail is predicted for this afternoon, so we stay in the shop today.

I knew someone here had BTDT.

Maybe now I'll get off my butt and fix the back up lights.

Thanks guy's smilie_pokal.gif
Demick
Curt

For the backup lights, you can use standard bullet connectors and simply spread open the contacts to fit properly in the backup switch holes. I just did this a couple weeks ago and it works fine.

As far as the fuse problem - if the backup lights are not causing it I have another possible solution. Pull down the fuse panel so you have access to the back side. Look where all of the spade terminals attach to the fuse block. You will notice that on the output side of 2 of the fuses (I think it was fuse 8 and fuse 9), there are a lot of spade terminals attached, and you will notice that they come very close to the sheetmetal frame that supports the fuse block. I have had the spade terminal make contact with that sheetmetal and cause the fuse to blow (If I remember correctly it was fuse #9). This problem will become much worse if either of the 2 'feet' on the fuse block which attach it to the sheetmetal frame are broken. But it can also occur even if the feet are not broken. So check those 'feet' to make sure they are not broken, and check those spade terminals. Place an insulator between the sheetmetal frame and the spade terminals if you think they may be grounding out in that location.

Demick
Joe Bob
On one of my 914/6 conversions...the shaved sie markers had some old wiring that came in contact with the body....check there too.
TheCabinetmaker
Demick, I had the fuse box down for inspection. No visible problems there. No black marks, or smokey areas.

Mike, I've had problems there in the past too. Lotta dirt up there. Believe me, I have shaken and moved every light connection and wire on that car. I really do think that bastard is dead. fighting19.gif Hope I got him before he multiplied.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.