Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help, I need Phoenix specific Emissions info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hi_Fi_Guy
I am sure this has been covered before but could not locate the info I need in the archives so....

My car is about wto weeks from being completed at Patrick Motorsports. This is the first 4cyl. 914 they have ever done and it is one of Jake's awesome 2270s so they are at a loss of what to do to get the car to pass emissions.

I don't want just anyone playing with Jake's motor as it is exotic and expensive.

I am looking for a shop in Phoenix that can get this car to pass or at least suggest an alternative (if only I had some friends or relatives that livbed in the country where there is no smog test, argh!).

I am using a licensed third party company to handle the VIN inspection, MVD paperwork (no DMV in AZ), etc. but they still require the owner to handle the emissions side of things. The guy at the registration company said this would be his 3rd 914 this week!!! I hope that means some other Phoenix area people are going to the WCC.

Any and all help appreciated, starting to feel the pressure to get this car ready.
nebreitling
got a cat?
JeffBowlsby
Is it D-Jet or carbs?
SLITS
Vehicle Emissions Testing

Required by the state, general information concerning emission testing is available from the Department of Environmental Quality, Vehicle Emissions, 600 N. 40th Street, Phoenix, 1 (800) 284-7748.

Every car (unless it is a model year 1966 or earlier) must pass emission inspection each year before it can be registered.

Vehicle Inspection Stations:

• 1301 S. Stocker Drive (South of 22nd Street and Sarnoff Drive)

• 3930 N. Business Center Drive (Off of Prince Road west of I-10)

• 6661 S. Renaissance Drive (Off of Valencia Road west of I-19)

• Call 629-9808 for hours.

http://www.pamtreece.com/auto_information.htm

This was just a quick search with GOOGLE.
lapuwali
If's it's a 2270, it's almost certainly not using D-Jet. If Jake had anything to do with it, it certainly isn't using D-Jet. biggrin.gif

Knowing the year of the car helps. I don't know if AZ has a visual component check like CA does (I believe they used to). If they don't, and it's a '74 or earlier car, then break in the engine COMPLETELY (like several hundred miles at least) on Jake's recommended jetting. Get the ignition set just right, and have new plugs ready.

If it's only and idle speed test, make sure the engine is fully warmed up (drive it as much as you can just beforehand), and fiddle with the idle mixture screws until it sneaks under. If it's a two-speed test (idle and probably around 2500rpm), order some idle jets one and two sizes smaller than you're running now. Chances are good it will pass w/o too much fiddling, unless it's set up pretty rich now.

If it's a '75 or '76, chances are good you'd not pass w/o a catalytic converter. Installing a fresh one will do WONDERS for your emissions level.

If AZ has a visual test, forget it. You'll never pass with carbs w/o finding a shop that's willing to look the other way. You'd almost certainly pass with something a Megasquirt or a Kit Carlson setup, but not with carbs. I've heard tell from some people in CA that you can get a car with carbs to pass the visual (this is for non-914s, btw) if you do the test on Saturday, since the inspectors don't work that day, and requirements are, shall we say, relaxed.
gklinger
No visual in AZ, at least they've never looked at anything on mine except the gas cap. I've had good luck with Stuttgart Southwest in Tempe, getting my 1.9 with Webers tuned to pass. I just count on taking it in for an initial test then taking it to the shop to get it to pass. They're good guys, it's worth a call... 480-968-6764
bwilless
You're in luck, I have a very recent emissions inspection report. Here's what you need to shoot for . . .

IDLE Hydrocarbons 400
IDLE Carbon Monoxide 5.50

LOADED Hydrocarbons 400
LOADED Carbon Monoxide 4.20

If Jim can sniff the exaust I would think that he can get it dialed in for you.

The loaded test on the rollers the guy had the car in 3rd gear at about 2k rpm.

My car is a 73' 2.0 with carbs.

Good Luck
lapuwali
Note that the posted requirements were for '73. They change from year to year, always getting tighter. That said, 400 HC should be EASY to obtain. The car would virtually have to be belching out black smoke to fail that number. 4-5% CO is also very high, and you'd be running richer than you'd want for best power if it were that high. Sounds like if you have a '73 or earlier chassis and the engine is running in good tune, passing in AZ is no sweat.

Anyone have the numbers for '74-'76? It would be interesting to know them.
anthony
Why not just go pay for a test to see if it passes? I'd also give Jake a call if I were you.
ThinAir
Stuttgart Southwest is definitely the place to go. They are really top-notch folks. If for some reason Stuttgart can't handle it, you might check out Competition Engineering. They are mostly Type 1, but also do well with Type 4 stuff. They have all my stuff at the moment for balancing.
Jake Raby
What it takes for it to pass emissions may not be the best settings for the engine... Make sure you adjust it back the way I had it when they are finished..

Many of my 2270s pass emissions easily.... A big key is to take it out and run it hard before taking it in. Blow all the crap out of it . It has been sitting for 2 years now so things are pretty gummed up, and that won't help.

If you or they have Qs, call me. Everything I diod to that engine was done for a reason, so lets try to decrease the amount of hands in the engine bay....I have some offline tips for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.