Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4th and 5th disappeared while driving
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Haudiosolutions
I'm thinking shift bushings because after I got home it looks like one or two near the firewall have just fallen apart. But I never had an issue with forth or fifth gear and randomly I was able to get into forth. just thought I would run it by the experts. I also may be a little low in gear oil since I need to replace my axle shaft seal. I've never gotten a sense of it being an interal issue but I'll wait for answers or opinions.

Thanks Derrick
SirAndy
QUOTE(Haudiosolutions @ Apr 19 2011, 09:44 AM) *
but I'll wait for ... opinions.

My guess would be the shifter coupler cone set screw. When mine came undone i had the same symptoms.

smash.gif
McMark
What year is your car? If you add this info to your signature (click on My Controls at the top o this page) then it's always there when we're trying to help. wink.gif

Anyway.... get all the shift bushings in order before trying anything else. Replace them all. They're cheap and relatively easy to install.

Side shifter setups have 4 bushings that you should replace. The ring at the firewall, the bushings in the ujoint/coupler, the ring at the shift console, and the cup at the shift console. The ujoint/coupler bushings are the hardest ones to change, and make sure you get the black aftermarket ones, because the OE Porsche ones (gray) have slop in them even when new.

And as Andy mentioned, get new cone screws. Those guys have a little nub of nylon to lock them in place, and that wears out as they get older.
poorsche914
Shift bushings are easy to replace.
Bring it over and I will give you a hand.

steve

driving.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 19 2011, 09:57 AM) *

What year is your car? If you add this info to your signature (click on My Controls at the top o this page) then it's always there when we're trying to help. wink.gif

Anyway.... get all the shift bushings in order before trying anything else. Replace them all. They're cheap and relatively easy to install.

Side shifter setups have 4 bushings that you should replace. The ring at the firewall, the bushings in the ujoint/coupler, the ring at the shift console, and the cup at the shift console. The ujoint/coupler bushings are the hardest ones to change, and make sure you get the black aftermarket ones, because the OE Porsche ones (gray) have slop in them even when new.

And as Andy mentioned, get new cone screws. Those guys have a little nub of nylon to lock them in place, and that wears out as they get older.

The OE Porsche bushings are supposed to have fore and aft play. They're designed that way. Keeps the vibration down, prevents possible preloading of the internal tranny shifting components.

The Cap'n
Dr Evil
For more info, click on the 31 pages of notes link in my signature smile.gif
Haudiosolutions
Thanks for the replies. As soon as I get a day off and it isn't raining I'm gonna try to tackle the bushings and the seal and replacing the clutch cable (since I have a new one anyway) BTW anyone have a right front caliper for a 70 or do the 73 calipers transplant without much issue. I looks as though the brake line attachments are different. Dr. Evil... thats some great info, thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.