Mitch 914
sunglasses.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Mitch 914 @ Apr 19 2011, 01:02 PM) *

19 days too late...
LotusJoe
QUOTE(Mitch 914 @ Apr 19 2011, 10:02 AM) *

sunglasses.gif

You might consider the 38/38 Synchronus. I just picked up a kit from WorldPac, and should have it installed in the next couple of weeks. I'm replacing the 32/36 progressive. Just rebuilt the the engine and went to 96mm pistons.
McMark
Too much carb. Throw on a 32PICT. happy11.gif

IPB Image
Mitch 914
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Apr 19 2011, 10:14 AM) *

sunglasses.gif

You might consider the 38/38 Synchronus. I just picked up a kit from WorldPac, and should have it installed in the next couple of weeks. I'm replacing the 32/36 progressive. Just rebuilt the the engine and went to 96mm pistons.

Thank you for the tip but my 1.8 is stock did your old carb work well? confused24.gif
LotusJoe
QUOTE(Mitch 914 @ Apr 19 2011, 10:23 AM) *

QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Apr 19 2011, 10:14 AM) *

sunglasses.gif

Thank you for the tip but my 1.8 is stock did your old carb work well? confused24.gif

Worked very well, with no issues.
McMark
Also, check out my handy and free 40IDF disposal service. And as a special service to 914World members, I will pay shipping. tongue.gif
Mitch 914
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 19 2011, 10:39 AM) *

Also, check out my handy and free 40IDF disposal service. And as a special service to 914World members, I will pay shipping. tongue.gif

what??????????you buy old webers?
McMark
Absolutely.
Mitch 914
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 19 2011, 10:55 AM) *

Absolutely.

I have order my 32-36 will install on Sat give me phone number I well call you.
Ductech
From what i hear those weber progressive carbs can be a complete ass to tune properly. Also something to consider is that your going from carbs that sit right on top of the head to a carb that will sit in the middle of your engine and have a long intake tract that allows gas to collect on the sidewalls of the intake. Now i installed one of these on a 1.7 suitcase motor in a van about two decades ago with my grandfather. He ended up running an oil line around the intake runs to preheat the intake when you fire up the motor in cold weather. why did you opt to get rid of the 40's last i remember those were more the hot ticket than a progressive, if you can deal with the sync and linkage.

Anyways good luck
Rand
QUOTE(Mitch 914 @ Apr 19 2011, 10:53 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 19 2011, 10:39 AM) *

what??????????you buy old webers?
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 19 2011, 10:55 AM) *

Absolutely.

Dells too I bet!

Mark, I hear you also have a single carb disposal service, but it requires the donator to pay shipping+handling or bring it to WCR2011:

IPB Image
NJ914Guy
Just sold my 32/36 on eBay this morning. If you don't need those 40 IDF's, I can take them off your hands lol-2.gif

BTW, I love my dual Weber 40's. Running great and SOUNDS awesome with the windows down and top off!
stugray
I just paid $400 for a pair of Italian 40s that needed rebuild.

I have a stock 914 single carb setup with manifold if you are looking.

I have no idea why you would want such a huge downgrade, but to each his own.

Stu
Mitch 914
QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 19 2011, 02:36 PM) *

I just paid $400 for a pair of Italian 40s that needed rebuild.

I have a stock 914 single carb setup with manifold if you are looking.

I have no idea why you would want such a huge downgrade, but to each his own.
thank you for your -input

jmill
Don't do it. Keep the 40's and learn how to tune them. It may seem like a black art but it's simple once you understand how they work. A single carb won't work as well. The long intake runners required for a single carb are a problem. The fuel drops out of suspension. That's why Porsche injected fuel right before the valve. If it worked well it would have been simpler and cheaper for Porsche to have one big injector feed all four cylinders.
flipb
A few months ago, I upgraded my 2.0 from a single Weber Progressive to dual 40mm EMPIs.

I'll be honest and give it a fair shake:

Cold starting was easier with the Progressive. It has an electric choke and it's nice to just turn the key and start the car - max one pump of the gas pedal required. With the dual carbs, it's two pumps, then gentle gas while cranking, then feathering the pedal for another 30-60 seconds til it's warm enough to idle.

In very warm weather (70 degrees and up), there isn't a huge difference between running with the single progressive carb and the dual 40's. The 40's make a deeper sound and throttle response is better, but it drove pretty well with the progressive.

The problem is any cool or cold temps. As others have noted, the long intake runners between the carb and the engine give the fuel time to precipitate out of the mixture and reform into droplets. The result is hesitation, bucking, and worst of all, flooding or bogging down at inopportune times. In 50 or 60 degree weather with a cold engine, you really need a gentle touch and to think twice before pulling into traffic.

Hope this is helpful info from somebody who's driven both!
jjackson
agree.gif You will be robbing performance unless your 40s were junk.Theres a set of 36s for sale in the classifieds.We had a great running 2.0L four with 36 delortos-mild scat cam-according to "experts" we were too small-car was wonderful.JJackson
QUOTE(jmill @ Apr 19 2011, 08:40 PM) *

Don't do it. Keep the 40's and learn how to tune them. It may seem like a black art but it's simple once you understand how they work. A single carb won't work as well. The long intake runners required for a single carb are a problem. The fuel drops out of suspension. That's why Porsche injected fuel right before the valve. If it worked well it would have been simpler and cheaper for Porsche to have one big injector feed all four cylinders.

dirk9141973
ditto it's all true you will not improve a problem with the 32/36 !! I just removed a Weber 38/38 (replaced with 40's) was better than 32/36 but had mid range miss 1,800 to 2,600 RPM's not enough air flow the runners are just toooooo long
Don't think your MPG will be much different ?
sean_v8_914
this is a joke thread, right? lets not steer a member down the wrong path with our sarcasm
McMark
agree.gif
Take the money that you would waste on the progressive single carb and get your 40 IDFs fixed.
r_towle
Seek out Emory Motor Sports in Oregon (I think they are close to you) and get them to tune up your carbs....you will be very happy.

Rich
Rand
QUOTE(Mitch 914 @ Apr 19 2011, 06:07 PM) *

thank you for your -input

Hey Mitch,

I hate to see you take some of this silliness as negative input. The reason for it is not because people intend to mess with you.

The reason is because it has been so well-proven for so many years that dual carbs are far superior to a single on these engines (not going to bring FI into this, ahem). So much so that the thought of going the other way is so wrong that people can't resist being sarcastic about it. Myself included.

You are mixed in with a great bunch of people here. Everyone wants what is best for you and your car. They also love to enjoy the camaraderie. Welcome to the World. Now that you are past initiation, you might want to be open to the idea that a single carb is a downgrade.
beerchug.gif
Rand
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Apr 19 2011, 10:03 AM) *
19 days too late...

My first reaction was you nailed it. Probably one of our native asshats trying to stirthepot.gif

I hope we are helping a real person instead of wasting time.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 20 2011, 10:52 AM) *

My first reaction was you nailed it. Probably one of our native asshats trying to stirthepot.gif
I hope we are helping a real person instead of wasting time.

Did seem an unusual first post.
"I'm doing this <insert random topic>. Discuss."

You gotta wonder what was the original problem if that was the proposed solution. Not stated. And to this day, no one has really asked...

It is a style of some members no longer with us (AFAIK...)

A declarative post like "I'm doing this" is not a question nor solicitation of help.
Merely a request for opinions - and no background. Not, I think, the standard first post...

So post what you like. There was no question, only an invitation to discussion. I believe it was subsequently disclosed that the car in question is a 1,8 but we really know little more than that. Other than carburetion is frequently the first thing blamed for bad running, and one of the least likely causes. And if a 1,8 had Webers in the first place, there has already been one attempt to fix a running probem (AFC cars have those, sometimes but infrequently actually the fault of the AFC).

So - mystery caller - What was the problem you're trying to fix with a single progressive carburetor ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.