Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: New 21st Century Beetle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
The new 21st Century Beetle was unveiled yesterday. What do you think of it?

I think it's a HUGE step in the right direction. I would never drive the old beetle, but this is far more appealing.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Dr Evil
I like it. The flower vase is no longer an option and the styling has changed to try to snag straight males biggrin.gif
mepstein
When I drive my mother in laws 2004 beetle, my kids call me gay daddy. sad.gif Still, it's better on gas than my hemi durango.
snakemain
Looks like an Audi tt with more headroom in back. Now if they'd just put the engine from the tt-rs in there...still doesn't make my want list, but definitely a step in the right direction for everyone who isn't a 16 yr old girl (no offense).
914-300Hemi
i think it is a dtep in the right direction also but still wouldn't buy one.
abnrdo
QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Apr 19 2011, 12:26 PM) *

or can I afford one...maybe when its 35 years old and I can snag it for $2200.
Tom_T
From the belt line down and interior I really like it!

From the belt line (base of windows) up I definitely do NOT!
... IMHO that makes it look like a squashed Bug & not a sleek auto! dry.gif
It reminds me of the huge bulky late 40's Chevy/Pontiac/Olds/Caddy "fastback" hulks.

BTW - beware of "girlie car" quips, cuz our 914s were also labeled as girlie Porsches (or NARPs by some)! However, they didn't realize that is was called that because it attracted girls/babes - not cuz they wanted to drive it! biggrin.gif
That center cushion also came in handy when you couldn't separate the "Wing Gal" from your real target! happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

There ya go Mark, now you have 914 content here! biggrin.gif
dw914er
I'd rather own

IPB Image
montoya 73 2.0
it looks more Porsche 911 to me? Still better than before! thumb3d.gif
Eric_Shea
Fender on the nav display?
damesandhotrods
I think new version is an improvement over the last incarnation. I thought the last one was just bad retro. Maybe I’m just becoming an olde man, but I still don’t care for it though. I’d rather have an original Beetle. But then again there probably is a reason I am driving a 914 instead of a Boxster.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(abnrdo @ Apr 19 2011, 10:34 AM) *

QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Apr 19 2011, 12:26 PM) *

or can I afford one...maybe when its 35 years old and I can snag it for $2200.

10 years should do the trick. wink.gif
MDG
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 19 2011, 03:58 PM) *

Fender on the nav display?

Yeah, they have been touting a Fender sound system in some of the ads. confused24.gif

Maybe you get a Twin Reverb in the back seat and a Bassman for a sub. thumb3d.gif

Just looked at the photo again and I see the Fender script on the small A-pillar speakers too.
zymurgist
I like it better than the previous incarnation. I would consider it if I could get it with a 6-speed TDI and in my choice of colors (still a sore spot when I considered a Rabbit which came only in black, white, and grey, which I don't really consider to be colors.)
Eric_Shea
Ummm... yeah, Fender's really known for their "audio prowess" av-943.gif
stugray
I could get caught driving one of those.
Much better lines.

They also said they will eventually offer a 2.0L turbo Diesel.
I would do that ;-)

Stu
Ferg
They had a short lived runaway hit with the 1998 "new" beetle, as they were on the upside of the retro restyle trend. But after the "mania" wore off, everyone figured out they were not great cars, and shared little in principle of what the original was supposed to be about.

Now it appears they are moving it even further upscale but I can't figure out the market they are trying to appeal to?
GeorgeRud
I have a good friend that has a Boxster, a C6 Corvette convertable, and his late wife's Beetle cabrio.

He is a good looking guy in his late 50s, and gets more interest from ladies when he runs errands in the Beetle! I guess people figure that he's not a middle aged guy that's having his middle-aged crazy period when he drives the VW.

It's kind of similar with the 914, you don't get people looking at you as a gold-chained PORSCHE driver! I'll take friendly waves any day over the alternatives.

The new Beetle kind of reminds me of what Scion did when it restyled the xB - they lost the original 'funkiness' that made it fun!

r_towle
what is the MSRP on the black one with all the options?
Compare that to what you can get in another car....that will be the real test...

Rich
carr914
Volkswagon has been bringing down the Price of it's cars to be more in line with Toyota & Honda ( they have finally realized what market they are in) so it will be interesting to see how they price this car.

Me in an AW SpyShot

Click to view attachment

Schummi & Me on the same page

Click to view attachment
jmill
QUOTE(dw914er @ Apr 19 2011, 12:55 PM) *

I'd rather own

IPB Image

agree.gif Until the beetle is RWD with an engine in the back I'm out. I do like the rims though. Reminds me of the old school BRM's I know and love.
Krieger
It is better, but it looks like its trying too hard.
sww914
I like the looks but it still has the drive wheels and the engine in the wrong place. I HATE front wheel drive. I want the throttle to help me turn, not fight me. FWD is a stupid idea. Might as well have skate wheels in the back. Or just 1 wheel back there. Or just let the back drag on the ground and throw sparks. Just think of all the money you could save on tires that way.
Oh man, I crack myself up.
carr914
QUOTE(jmill @ Apr 19 2011, 09:50 PM) *

QUOTE(dw914er @ Apr 19 2011, 12:55 PM) *

I'd rather own

IPB Image

agree.gif

But the new R pails in comparison to the R32 of a few years ago
Gint
I like it better. But I wouldn't buy one. Rather have a GTI. And way better lookin too. Actually I wish they'd import the Scirocco. I'd almost certainly buy one.
Katmanken
Don't know whhat you are so excited over. Looks a lot like an old Beetle with a chopped top.

Heck, S&L racing Cocoa Beach ran a chop top on their autocross car back in the early 70's. Got 3rd in the SE nationals.

Looked a lot like this except theirs was primer grey.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.