Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back With More Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ne14914
Ok guys - i have made my decision.

Im not doing th 6 because i dont have the money to do it RIGHT - so Ill wait and buy me a 911 next summer 2004 -

In the mean time - i need more power than i have so i have decided to build me a 2 litre.

After reading alot of the post on this BB, and getting a lot of great advice (thanks guys) I need some more opinions - should I buy me a 2.0 off ebay or somewhere and have it built to my specs? Or should I upgrade my 1.7?

One guy I was talking to told me to just upgrade the 1.7 (pistons and crank etc.) and get the heads ported and polished and be done with it. He said 2.0 heads have valve seat problems and having the 1.7 heads polished and ported would be more reliable and produce just as much power - is that true?
Brad Roberts
Here is the smoking deal:

I have a 2.0 case/crank rods/ (73-74GA block) You can build a 2056 CC engine with new pistons (96mm) and use a freshly rebuilt set of 1.8 heads with big springs that I have ready to go.

All your engine tin and pieces will bolt to this engine.

With a nice cam and carbs your looking at 110 reliable hp

I'm not sure who said the crap about the 2.0 exhaust seats... but he is full of shit up to his eyebrows. All the heads where made from the same material...so why would the 2.0 be different ??

Anyway.. 750$ for everything (the heads are ready to be bolted on) they have been midly ported on the exhaust side (which allows you to run a stock cam if you like)

B
Brad Roberts
Now.. one more idea.

You can make your 1.7 a 1911 cc engine (96mm Pistons and cylinders)

Your heads will have to be cut for the larger bore cylinders (they used to sell a slip in for the 1.7) stay away from them. They are too thin.

Balance everything.

B
Bleyseng
Shoot that's a good deal.
The only problem with the 2.0l heads is fit you get them too hot they can crack across the spark plug hole. As Brad said, all the seats are the same material. 1.7l heads have smaller intakes and smaller valves stock so it takes some money to get more out of them. 1.8l heads have larger valves (closer to 2.0l size) and make good power.
Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.