Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT My daughter turned 18 today.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blonde914
My daughter Terryn turned 18 today, Yipee!! She has been a handful, she has always been stubborn, idealistic, outspoken, argumentative, passionate, and generally JUST like me. We have butted heads from the moment she was born. headbang.gif She works a full-time job at a bank, she will graduate in June, and she moved in with her boyfriend of 3 years.

We fought for years about college, and getting tied down to one guy (we do love him though). She told us she didn't want college, she didn't want different guys(again just like her Mom). driving-girl.gif She is going to a local college in the fall only because the president of the bank told her it was a good idea, not because we assumed she would go since kindergarten.

I want so much for her and all my kids, just go out and live alittle, travel, get an education, save your money, buy a nice PORSCHE 914. Then settle down and do the other stuff.

I would love her to do all the things I didn't do, have all the things we have stuggled to get. But the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, she is going to do just what she wants no matter what.

I AM SO PROUD OF HER!!!

She is a go getter, no matter what she does in life she will succeed.

This is my first child to leave home, I have a 20 year old son and a 22 year old nephew still at home in college. I also have a 15 yr. old son and a 8 yr. old daughter at home. I am feeling very sad and old, I never thought I would feel sad when they were ready to go. This one has been planning to move out for 2 years. I thought I would be relieved, but I'm not.

I AM GOING TO MISS MY DAUGHTER. wub.gif

No I am not crying.

Wonder how you will feel when yours leave home?

Sherry driving-girl.gif

Wait, my husband in his infinite wisdom just brought up a good point, I won't miss the dirty laundry on the floor, her bathroon and bedroom always trashed, the late nights waiting up, the sticky stuff she sprays and gets on all the mirrors in the house, the dishes that don't make it in the dishwasher, towels left on the floor, arguments with her brothers or sister, the extra car in the driveway, ect. ect...

YES I WILL!!!
morph
I told my husband that when the boys (only 4 and 5) leave home it'll be time to have another one, He is completely against this, he says he wont have any more and he's happy to have them both out of diapers, so I'll just have to settle with an easy retirement with grandkids. laugh.gif

Hiedi
CaliWRX
My twin brother and I left for college about a year ago and my little sis is leaving this year.

I have a little brother who is about to start high school next year. I am sure he will be getting a lot of attention for a few years being the only child left at home.
SirAndy
my daughter is going to turn 15 later this year.

i can't wait for her to move out since she lives with her mother back in germany and as soon as she moves out, i can see her more often! wub.gif

they grow up sooooo fast rolleyes.gif
Andy
campbellcj
Don't worry...if she's anything like my siblings/cousins/etc, she'll be loitering around your house and hitting you up for $$$ until she's about 35 or so wink.gif

We're still at the beginning of the long road -- Logan is just starting pre-school this summer.
MattR
QUOTE(CaliWRX @ May 12 2004, 08:21 PM)
My twin brother and I left for college about a year ago and my little sis is leaving this year.

Sound like a relief for your parents biggrin.gif
Andyrew
I dont have any offspring.. and I doubt I will move out of the house till after collage or later.

There stuck with me.

haha
ChrisReale
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist spank.gif
GWN7
Mine told me he's never moving out. He told me I can move, but he's staying. laugh.gif

Even the ex step-son spends more time here than at his mom's.
Bruce Allert
All my kids are here to stay.. the 2 horses, 3 dogs, 5 cats & the wife.... OH! & Punkin rolleyes.gif Punkin will never leave driving.gif

........b
rick 918-S
My wife and I hooked up and moved in together after about 3 dates. We were both 18 then. We bought our first house about a year later. It was tough to get a loan back then without being married. We lived together for about 6 years before we tied the knot. Our first son was born ten years after we met. We have two boys. 17 and 15. I'm very much looking forward to them moving out. But I don't think I could stand it for long. I loved our time before kids. Now we always have a house full of kids here. Our two and their friends. We have guests several nights a week. We require them to be in by 11:30 during school and 12:30 on the weekends. (friends included.) Our grocery bill is outragious! But I like when I know where the boys and their friends are . I like to know they eat, and feel safe. Their good kids.

BTW our 23rd is in July wub.gif
wheelo
Sherry,
To answer your question... I will feel the same as you! Sad to lose the little girl I raised for all those years...But, Proud of the youg lady she has become!xI too have a long road ahead, as my youngest is 8, although my stepson graduates next year from HS.My hat is off to you...hang in there. I remember my Mom stopping-by with a bag of groceries, soon after I first moved-out,(also at 18) , that meant- a -lot... wub.gif
Jeroen
Don't worry about it. Things will only get better!

I never got along with my dad much. Not because we hated each other but because we are too much alike in too many things.
We couldn't even build a birdhouse together without getting into a huge fight biggrin.gif
That changed a lot since I moved out of the house.

I remember that he offered to help out at our new place when we just bought it.
(I was 19 and my girlfriend - now wife - was 16)
I was thinking "oh great, here we go again" but we had a great time. I think it was one of the first times we didn't argue about a thing!
Things only got better since then...

cheers,

Jeroen
dflesburg
Jeez,

I can't imagine what your going through. My oldest is going into 6th grade (middle school) this fall.

We had parent orientation this week and it was all I could do to keep from crying.

Dad just isn't ready for his daughter to grow up.

blink.gif
drew365
My daughter is 19. She is in her 3rd year of college. Even though we only live 5 miles from campus, she spent two years at the dorms. I thought is was ridiculous, but after getting used to the strange sensation of silence around the house I encouraged her to stay in the dorms the second year. Now she's back home, she and my wife don't fight quite as much as they did during high school so that's a good thing. In the fall we probably will look for an apartment for her near campus. Everyone needs their own life. Just remember, no matter how hard you try your kids are going to turn out just like you. smile.gif
Howard
QUOTE(drew365 @ May 13 2004, 06:39 AM)
Just remember, no matter how hard you try your kids are going to turn out just like you. smile.gif

Andy, that's priceless!

My kids, son 36 and daughter 31 have lived all over the country, but as of June 1 they will both be close to home. They bring 2 busted careers, 1 busted marriage, but I sure am glad to have them back.

Have had to help them financially and otherwise, but we have this big table in the back yard, and I sure like to see it filled with family on the weekends.
Don Wohlfarth
Nice post Sherry.
Even though there's no side to be taken I agree with your husband. You mostly tolerated the late nights, dirty clothes/dishes/room, the big question is will her boyfriend? wink.gif
I know, men are from Mars, women are from Venus. biggrin.gif
blonde914
This morning I realized I didn't have to go looking for my shoes (which is only one item she borrowed without asking) My makeup was right where I left it, I didn't have to wake her up 10 times while trying to get ready for work, she wasn't looking for a hand out for lunch money, she didn't have to move her car for me to leave, no arguments, enough hot water, and no empty milk carton in the fridge. I could get used to this.

Oh wait, there are still 4 kids left to get out the door. I think I could get used to them leaving very easily,

Sherry driving-girl.gif
GWN7
Now we know there was at least 1/4" of milk left in that carton. That way they aren't responsible for letting you know your out of milk. (Rule applys for OJ, soft drinks and bread) biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.