Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3len35
Hello, I'm 20 years old and I live in Ellensburg, Washington and I have recently come across a 1975, 1800cc 914 for sale and I had a few questions for the 914 pros on this site.

1. Would one of these cars be manageable for a 20 year college student?

2. What are some common problems with the 914's?

3. Before buying the car, what questions should I ask the owner?

4. If I buy the 914 and I have problems with it how easy is it to find mechanics who work on them?

I have been a Porsche fan since I was 10 years old. When I was 1 my mom traded in a black 924 Turbo (because it could not fit a child seat in the back) for a '91 VW Cabriolet. She passed on the love of Porsche's on to me and it would be a dream come true to have a Porsche while in college. I will include the link to the 914, thank you very much for trying to help me acquire my first Porsche.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2329570596.html
carr914
welcome.png
MikeSpraggi
It's a slippery slope. Manageable? What is your yearly budget after purchase? Others will have much more input for you. welcome.png ... it's fun.
Root_Werks
Search around this site, there is some great buyers guide data to be had.

Find someone local who already has and knows 914's. Pay them to go look at the car with you. It'll be worth every penny if they find rust you would not have.
Cairo94507
Well it also depends upon how much driving you are planning to do. If the car is recently rebuilt with good tires, shocks, brakes, etc., OK. But before you even go there you need to have someone with 914 experience go over the car to look for the death of all 914's...rust. It is fairly common, unfortunately, for owners to cover up rust with all kinds of stuff just to sell a car.

I love 914's and my budget is likely a little better than a college student's, but I still spent the time to check out the car I bought to minimize the surprises (I still expect to find some rust).

This site is one of the best sites around for information and assistance. Take a ton of pictures and post them on here and you will get all kinds of feedback; some focused and specific some just general. All of it should help you decide if this little car is the car for you.

Best wishes, and OH, don't let anything distract you from your education. Once you have earned your degree(s) you can always buy cars.
Loser_Cruiser
Sounds like you are at central? That car looks to be pretty nice but as others have said rust can be pretty well hidden. I managed to maintain and do minor upgrades to my 914 thoughout college, recently graduated WSU!, really depends on your budget an your abilities. Also, I used my 914 as a dd for the summers but not during school. The apartments I rented wouldnt let people work on their cars at all, plus it'd drive me crazy having my car parked in a busy area on a Friday-Saturday night knowing it would draw the attention of every drunk passer by.
RFoulds
Buy it. Don't be suprised when you have no cash at the end of the month because it needed something, but rejoice in the moments when you drive it. And, Don't look back. No matter what happens next, you will always be glad you got it.
pcar916
Welcome to our world. The 914 is a driver's car. Mid engine fun is the best. To buy your car there is a link that will help in a fairly logical fashion.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/How_to_buy_a_914.htm

Beyond this, ask as many questions as you like here and include as many pictures as you can when possible and appropriate.

Make the subject line as descriptive as you can and we'll help you as best we can. There be a lot of expertise here. piratenanner.gif

There is a good rule-of-thumb. Buy someone else's dream. That means there are a lot of cars out there that people got tired of restoring. Look to them first.

Good luck
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(3len35 @ Apr 19 2011, 01:47 PM) *

Hello, I'm 20 years old and I live in Ellensburg, Washington and I have recently come across a 1975, 1800cc 914 for sale and I had a few questions for the 914 pros on this site.

1. Would one of these cars be manageable for a 20 year college student?

Sort of. It wouldn't have been for me in my college years, but I didn't know squat about cars back then and would have had to pay someone else to do everything.

2. What are some common problems with the 914's?

Rust, rust, rust, and rust. Oh, and did I mention rust?

The fuel injection systems are funky ancient analog electronic ones. The 1.8s have more in common with the later injection systems, but they are still something of an oddball.

The shift linkage can be OK, or it can be dreadful. It's usually an easy fix.

The brakes can be very good, or they can be awful. It's often a more involved fix than the shift linkage.

The clutch tube likes to break inside the center tunnel, which leads to a clutch that won't stay adjusted and grinding going into gears, especially 1st and Rev.

Many of them leak oil from the engine, the transmission, or both. This is fixable, but after a while it will likely start leaking again.

Oh, and don't forget about the rust!

3. Before buying the car, what questions should I ask the owner?

Where is the rust and how bad is it? (Don't believe him if he says "there is none"; these cars came with Factory-installed rust...)

What problems does it have?

4. If I buy the 914 and I have problems with it how easy is it to find mechanics who work on them?

Not that easy. But they are definitely out there! An old-school aircooled VW guy can get you pretty far, as there are a lot of similarities. But they're definitely not the same as a Bug! Some of the Porsche mechanics like 914s, some don't. The ones who specialize in the newer watercooled Porsches won't really know much about the 914.

And there are shops out there who specialize in 914s. Depends on where you are.

--DD
Spoke
welcome.png

If you and your dad like to work on cars, the 914 could be an option.

If you and your dad don't work on cars, look for something more modern.

If you have a pile of cash, then disregard the first 2 If/Then statements.

The 914 is a great car in good weather, in rainy weather, the car is not much fun as the ventilation system can barely keep the windows clear.

If you are interested in the car, ABSOLUTELY get someone with 914 experience to look at the car with you. Most folks here will do it for free or for a beer or lunch.
PeeGreen 914
Looks like a nice 914. If you were my son I'd be very happy you are interested. However, make sure to check it out and look for rust everywhere.

Then keep us posted beerchug.gif
abnrdo
welcome.png

I waited over 20 years to buy my first 914. Shopped around and found one that didnt need a lot of work. They are easy to work on, (aircooled) just make sure you have a friend with a garage to do the work. Stay away from jackstands.
-Jim
Rusty
First, welcome to 914world! smile.gif

914s can be great fun... but most of the people that own them do their own work. Do you have a place to tinker and some basic tools?

Also, because these cars were produced before the factory was galvanizing bodies, they are VERY susceptible to rust. Unless you live in a desert garage parking will go a long way towards making your car last.
3len35
Here are some pics that the owner sent me of the battery compartment and spare tire, and door hinges. I wanted to thank all of you for your support, it makes me want to own a 914 that much more. You all have given me a wealth of knowledge on the 914 from your posts and one day I hope to return it to someone in my position right now.
Drums66
....Welcome to the World(just dive right in!) idea.gif poke.gif
bye1.gif shades.gif
rhcb914
welcome.png

I bought my first 914 in college (1993) and drove it about 100 miles before fuel lines ruptured. Luckily I smelled it and I had only been driving a couple miles. Fixed that problem then the very next drive I turned the headlights on and the dash wires started smoking. I had driven it less than 200 miles before I parked it. I had recently rebuild my VW Bus engine 2 years prior and had been driving that around and wanted something cool and fast. I fugured since I knew the bus well the 914 would be a cake walk. Having virtually no $$ and part prices that were relatively expensive and not avaliable at any local autoparts stores I never got it back running. Parted it out and exactly 10 years later haveing a descent job I bought a very nice one that I can jump in and drive.

First off as other have suggested look for RUST. EVERY ONE OF THESE CARS HAS RUST. It's just not as visible on some. biggrin.gif

Second, make sure you have a descent budget. These are 35-40 year old cars and something is always needing attention. These aren't toyota corollas where parts are cheap and you can drive the crap out of them with virtually no maintenance. I'm not saying the are unreliable as I would jump in mine tomorrow and drive across the country with no hesitation. But, I have rebuilt or seviced every system and spent thousands maintaining or bringing my car up to the level it is today.

I'm not trying to scare you away, if you have the desire I say go for it! Just go into this with your eyes open, do some research on part prices, local shops and rates, etc. If you are willing to learn to do the work yourself you can save some $$. I love going to the garage and just tinkering then taking the car for a drive.

Good Luck if you do buy it and we are always here for support and guidance!
markb
welcome.png

It's an addiction, and there is no cure. smile.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png assimilate.gif
rnellums
I think one of these car's is definitely maneagable at 20. I bought mine at 15 and was able to du just about everything. Hardest part so far has been the complete trasmission rebuild, but I had some help for that from Dr. Evil here on this site. I dont think you actually posted any pictures if the battery section of the car, but the other pictures look pretty good. I can promise you that mine was in much worse shape that yours when I bought it!

I feel like owning a 914 is an adventure. Mostly becuase you wont have a whole lot of disposable income to spend on it so you have to be thrifty, do things yourself, and find cheap parts(Make lots of good friends here for the last).

For me, I wasnt that Interested in doing a concours restoration, I have no intention of selling mine, so I dont feel bad about doing things that may adversely affect the resale value either(rebuilding the seats with taller bolsters, carbs, painted targa top).

And the best part is, that if at some point you make a catastrophic mistake on the engine, you aren't taking a $15,000 bath.

As far as what kind to choose, I am partial to 73-74 2.0L's.

For pictures of what I have been doing, I have a thread with pictures of my build here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...3&hl=bosser

-Ross
914outlaw
welcome.png

That is alot of money for a college student. If you plan on making it a daily driver you will need alot of time and money to keep it running right.
Time if you do the work yourself.
Money if you pay someone to do it.

Weekend driver would be less money depending on current condition.

I was 19 when I bought my first 914. I couldn't afford to fix it at the time and didn't have the money to keep it on the road.

My advice, save your money and buy it after graduating and getting a full time job. It's only a couple of more years right. Your love for this car will still be there. This is advice I wish I had taken when I bought my first one. I ended up losing $5000 on that car.
This is was just my experience/ bad luck.

If you do buy it. Good luck. This forum is a great source for tech advice and information. Alot of experienced 914 owners willing to help.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.