Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally,...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
J P Stein
Brit was sortin' things out.....mostly involving his "trick" pedal cluster.

Got a pic...note the black streak on the pass side behind the car.
PeeGreen 914
That is a very cool picture beerchug.gif

Glad to hear everything is close to getting sorted out. Once the biase issue is fixed that thing is going to be a BEAST piratenanner.gif
grantsfo
Awesome! How'd he do?
drgchapman
Super Cool picture!
DanT
Was the black stripe from brakes or accelerator? biggrin.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(DanT @ Apr 20 2011, 12:12 PM) *

Either way it isnt good. Blasted crappy rear suspension.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 20 2011, 12:31 PM) *

Looks to me like his rear brakes are locked up causing this. What does the rear suspension have to do with that? confused24.gif

This is the part that Britain said he needs to work out from his brake biase issue.
grantsfo
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 20 2011, 01:38 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 20 2011, 12:31 PM) *

Looks to me like his rear brakes are locked up causing this. What does the rear suspension have to do with that? confused24.gif

This is the part that Britain said he needs to work out from his brake biase issue.

...Really? confused24.gif Suspension has lots to do with that. While I love 914's I dont like the dynamics of the archaic trailing arm suspension compared to more modern suspensions that do a better job holding suspenison to the ground. You should have seen difference between my Boxster and his 914 at take off in San Diego. He was lighting up both tires off the line for nearly 20 feet. My car hooked up much sooner. He might want to try a little more bump front and rear to help keep the rear in place if that is him dragging rear tire into braking zone. Can tell you that you wont see the Zust XP Lotus dragging or spinning a tire like that.

Also think he should ditch torsion bar front suspension for more linear coilover setup. I'm convinced the nonlinear torsion bar rate is part of what causes push in the 914.

But what do I know I'm an ignorant Nissan owner. happy11.gif

Is it just me or does the hood of Shitbox look like back of a 64 356 SC? Thats one confused 914!
J P Stein
If you want an answer, Dan, ask Grant.
It will give him another chance to poor mouth someone.
DanT
Not getting into it here with you guys JP. I get to deal with that elsewhere blink.gif

Mine was an honest question, although I suspected it was under braking from the attitude of the car and the fact that I would think it would have been the inside lighting up under power.
J P Stein
QUOTE(DanT @ Apr 20 2011, 04:24 PM) *

Not getting into it here with you guys JP. I get to deal with that elsewhere blink.gif

Not any more you don't.

An honest answer. The bar on his Tilton brake bias pedal was flopping around leading to excessive rear bias and it got him backwards a few times and very unstable under braking at best. Now he understands how it should work and gets to make another run at getting it dialed in. OR you can live with the troll's BS for all I care.

The clutch refused to dis-engage as everything got hot. He got that fingered out.
DanT
Thanks JP, sounds like normal issues when sorting out a complete new setup. smile.gif
jjackson
Sorting a car for national level autox competition is a slow process.Great to see the car and driver competing already.What an aggressive project this has been.The car will get sorted and we will all see and follow the results.Personnally, I think its wonderful to see!
BTW I do not believe the Zust car will be the one to beat this year.The S2000 out of Tenn has already showed substantially more speed (coned both days at last years Nationals)It was craaazy fast at the fall event in Blytheville.
I love teeners, can't imagine autocrossing anything else.JJackson
grantsfo
Almost May and simple things like brakes and clutch not figured out? Not looking like a national level car this year. Still cool to see it running! Bet its a hoot to drive!

Brit should massacre the XP guys that typically go to Packwood from ID and UT. The few that came down to San Diego this year were over 10 seconds back from Zust. Hey even my sorry butt in a street car beat the Cobra that runs with you guys in Packwood. I wish we could get Zust to go to Packwood would be cool to see if the 914 is even within a few seconds of that car.

Signed

The ignorant BS spewing troll that is always looking to put you down happy11.gif lol-2.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(jjackson @ Apr 20 2011, 05:52 PM) *

Sorting a car for national level autox competition is a slow process.Great to see the car and driver competing already.What an aggressive project this has been.The car will get sorted and we will all see and follow the results.Personnally, I think its wonderful to see!
BTW I do not believe the Zust car will be the one to beat this year.The S2000 out of Tenn has already showed substantially more speed (coned both days at last years Nationals)It was craaazy fast at the fall event in Blytheville.

Remember Zust isnt a stationary target. The car is faster this year. I love teeners too however I can imagine autocrossing something else that isnt as painful to get right. Watch for the Boxster in FP this year. It doesn't have nearly the build time in it as the fast 914's we see and I suspect it will podium this year just as it did last year in San Diego. And it was truly slapped together in 2010. 2011 it has some actual development work into suspension and motor. Last year it still had street suspension under it!

914's and SCCA AX are a lot of talk. Actually its mostly JP is a lot of hollow talk. I'm still waiting to see a fast 914 that posts real results at SCCA nationals. The 914 in FP did OK. Not a national winning car but its decent. Honestly I dont see a national level XP or E mod 914 happening. But I'm still rooting for Brit.
jjackson
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 21 2011, 02:07 PM) *

QUOTE(jjackson @ Apr 20 2011, 05:52 PM) *

Remember Zust isnt a stationary target. The car is faster this year. I love teeners too however I can imagine autocrossing something else that isnt as painful to get right. Watch for the Boxster in FP this year. It doesn't have nearly the build time in it as the fast 914's we see and I suspect it will podium this year just as it did last year in San Diego. And it was truly slapped together in 2010. 2011 it has some actual development work into suspension and motor. Last year it still had street suspension under it!

914's and SCCA AX are a lot of talk. Actually its mostly JP is a lot of hollow talk. I'm still waiting to see a fast 914 that posts real results at SCCA nationals. The 914 in FP did OK. Not a national winning car but its decent. Honestly I dont see a national level XP or E mod 914 happening. But I'm still rooting for Brit.

I thought third was" OK "also.Still a long way to go to the top two.We have found a bunch of it.I know of another boxter getting built for FP by a multi time champ.also pulling for Brit in XP.JJackson
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 20 2011, 09:32 AM) *

Brit was sortin' things out.....mostly involving his "trick" pedal cluster.

Got a pic...note the black streak on the pass side behind the car.

If that is a cone on the passenger side that is a tight little slot.
J P Stein
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 21 2011, 12:07 PM) *

AH, the emperor has no clothes but speaks.....from under a bridge. lol-2.gif
PeeGreen 914
Jay, are you speaking of Leeds and Greg? I have seen that Boxster while they were doing testing and that thing is going to be wicked blink.gif The pockets are deep and the builder knows what he is doing.

Grant, 914s are not all talk in SCCA.#1, it is hard to call Britain's car a 914 anymore but still, it started life as one and with what he has done the car could be a good challenge. There has not been a 914 national champ in a while but there also has not been a 914 with a good deal of R and D and $ for about that same amount of time.
jjackson
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 21 2011, 09:10 PM) *

Jay, are you speaking of Leeds and Greg? I have seen that Boxster while they were doing testing and that thing is going to be wicked blink.gif The pockets are deep and the builder knows what he is doing.

Grant, 914s are not all talk in SCCA.#1, it is hard to call Britain's car a 914 anymore but still, it started life as one and with what he has done the car could be a good challenge. There has not been a 914 national champ in a while but there also has not been a 914 with a good deal of R and D and $ for about that same amount of time.

Last time I talked to Leeds-he wasn't sure which class they were going to compete in.I'm sure thats been decided by now.Definitely aware of their abilities and talents.I was referring to a guy named Eric that currently runs a rx7-rumor has it -reliable source-the car has already been purchased.JJackson
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(jjackson @ Apr 21 2011, 07:29 PM) *

Last time I talked to Leeds-he wasn't sure which class they were going to compete in.I'm sure thats been decided by now.Definitely aware of their abilities and talents.I was referring to a guy named Eric that currently runs a rx7-rumor has it -reliable source-the car has already been purchased.JJackson

It has taken far too long to get that car finished but with Greg's schedule between AJR and the ITS racing he does I can certainly understand.

If the other guy you are talking about is the same guy I'm thinking of he will be tough to beat. Like in karting, many times fast drivers in slow karts beat okay drivers in fast karts and fast drivers in fast karts are untouchable happy11.gif
jjackson
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 21 2011, 10:11 PM) *

It has taken far too long to get that car finished but with Greg's schedule between AJR and the ITS racing he does I can certainly understand.

If the other guy you are talking about is the same guy I'm thinking of he will be tough to beat. Like in karting, many times fast drivers in slow karts beat okay drivers in fast karts and fast drivers in fast karts are untouchable happy11.gif

Yeah its ES out of Texas-Also lots of rumored turbo cars coming to FP.Last year John was the fastest of ALL the prepared cars-sheer talent.Our class is growing.Lots of people want to compete against JT.(autoX royalty)Our goal is to whip em all!JJackson chowtime.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(jjackson @ Apr 22 2011, 05:38 AM) *

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 21 2011, 10:11 PM) *

Yeah its ES out of Texas-Also lots of rumored turbo cars coming to FP.Last year John was the fastest of ALL the prepared cars-sheer talent.Our class is growing.Lots of people want to compete against JT.(autoX royalty)Our goal is to whip em all!JJackson chowtime.gif

aktion035.gif
Randal

Pretty amazing when you think about it. Are there any "systems" in Britain's car that haven't been altered, rebuilt or eliminated during the engine transplant? Maybe brakes, but I guess he's even having some issues there.

Actually the complex modifications to his engine, and wring to support the engine, would be enough to floor most of us.

My experience is that with each system that gets changed or altered there will be issues that come up early and some later. As the car gets faster and faster each system get tested against the others at a higher level and issues pop up.

I honestly thought my car would be totally sorted after a few events, but that didn't happen - not even close, in fact I don't have a clue what the car is going to be like when back racing again.

IHMO if Britain gets his car working by this summer he should be nominate for an award. Not only because he personally did 95% of a very complicated install, but because he's smart enough to get all the systems working together in an extremely short period of time.

Keep pounding away Britain. We are all very impressed with your efforts. first.gif

jjackson
agree.gif
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 22 2011, 06:45 PM) *

Pretty amazing when you think about it. Are there any "systems" in Britain's car that haven't been altered, rebuilt or eliminated during the engine transplant? Maybe brakes, but I guess he's even having some issues there.

Actually the complex modifications to his engine, and wring to support the engine, would be enough to floor most of us.

My experience is that with each system that gets changed or altered there will be issues that come up early and some later. As the car gets faster and faster each system get tested against the others at a higher level and issues pop up.

I honestly thought my car would be totally sorted after a few events, but that didn't happen - not even close, in fact I don't have a clue what the car is going to be like when back racing again.

IHMO if Britain gets his car working by this summer he should be nominate for an award. Not only because he personally did 95% of a very complicated install, but because he's smart enough to get all the systems working together in an extremely short period of time.

Keep pounding away Britain. We are all very impressed with your efforts. first.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.